Home Technical Talk

An Angle Puzzle?

Someone asked this question a while back on the 'how u model dem shapes' thread but it never got answered, so I'm asking it again.

What's the best way to tackle edge flow when approaching an angle like this? As you can see, I've produced triangles. Is there a way to keep this neatly to quads?

4505166193_73fbdf3dbb_o.jpg

Replies

• SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, if you're a quad addicted, give this a try. A couple of relax on inner added verts and you're good to go.

dem_shape_03.jpg
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I never understood the point of creating a quad that looks identical to a triangle? What's the reasoning behind that? I realize it's to keep all quads, but why? (I know why you want to keep quads, but I think you see what I'm asking).
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a flat surface, if not along a sensible edge, tris, quads, ngons, don't make any difference, In this case too, since edge is already "reinforced" by an edge loop. The only difference is in your eye, if you like to look at your model and say: "hey, look at that, it's all quads!".

I made a paint over, so didn't relax the vertexes as stated. In that case you wouldn't see triangular quads, because every vertex would reach its fitting position.

Anyway the real deal with quads is on curved surfaces, where tris tend to give small bulges, and ngons tend to go flat. Having all quads is not a must, even in this case. Well placed tris and ngons could give very good results in a small amount of time, rather than bashing you head against the wall to keep everything in quad.

At least this is my opinion.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quad Addict :). I haven't looked at the smoothness of the corner so much, just at the smoothed wireframe which didn't look 'right' to me, so I presumed it may cause slight pinching.

So if you are saying that placing tris all along the edge like this is a good way to do it, that's fine with me, I just wasn't sure if it was as I haven't seen many examples. I like to keep edge flow, grid-like, when possible, as it makes alterations easier for me.

4505941076_9ca21983fa_o.jpg
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, looking at the smoothed solution, it does have some pinching. It's up to the accuracy degree you want to achieve to change the topology to make it more regular. The sample I gave should provide better results and is quite fast to get, remember to relax the added vertexes after the whole cutting thing. I almost always stick to the principle: if looks good, is good.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Playdo wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the smoothness of the corner so much, just at the smoothed wireframe which didn't look 'right' to me, so I presumed it may cause slight pinching.
    All you have to do to test if this works or not is look at it in plain smooth view. If it doesn't look ugly, there's no problem.
    (from what I tested, it doesn't pinch, or not noticably)
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Some renderers dont support triangles or ngons, such as Renderman because it converts the polys to nurbs patches i think. Mental Ray for Maya also doesnt support ngons afaik.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like this, with iteration set to 2:

4506032340_ddbb56ee88_o.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    add another all-quads loop "behind" that one and you won't have any errors in the smoothing. no matter if it's tris or ngons or anything.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    extremely useful thanks for asking the question.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep Playdo, that's what I meant. You can relax those verts until they don't move anymore, it won't make any relevant difference in the smoothed version, but the wires would look even nicer :)
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi wrote: »
    add another all-quads loop "behind" that one and you won't have any errors in the smoothing. no matter if it's tris or ngons or anything.

I don't get where you mean? Can you illustrate it?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Mental Ray for Maya also doesnt support ngons afaik.

This is 100% wrong.

Playdo: What divi was talking about is essentially what you did a couple of posts up.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks for the help on this. Ps. nice high poly sniper modeling Sync.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again. Here's the original image by Jocose. Here the surface is curved, so I guess that triangles along the edge is out of the question? Would it be best to approach this like Sync showed in the other example, I'd have thought it's be hard to keep a continuous curve? If anyone's up for showing it modeled correctly, that'd be good to see.

4506800299_479a3c28f5_o.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Again this is a case where you'd want that extra supporting edge loop to prevent the sides from pinching around the hole there. It's pretty much the same situation as divi described above.
    In this case the simplest way would be to simply extrude that whole face loop inwards by a little bit.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mop, It doesn't look like there's one supporting edge there in the first place, so I presume you mean two. I'm not sure if you're saying it's ok to place triangles along that edge, as I thought they shouldn't be placed on a curved surface?

Jacose's approach is messy - I'm just focusing on the best way to tackle edge flow approaching angled extrusions.