Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- Fantasy Stylized Environment/Textures

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
vcortis polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, so all my previous projects have been hyper-realistic. I want to go in a new direction and I've been doing tons of hand-painting over the last week or two (kinda new to it) and think I'm finally getting decent at it. So I'm going to start an environment based off these textures I've been doing that has a very distinct style to it. I'll be doing a lot of the "base" textures first and then modeling the scene around them.

So here are my textures so far.

"cobblestone/stone walkway"
Rocks9.jpg

"Reinforced Metal/Grating"
Metal14.jpg

"Cloth/Banner" (Black area is alpha'd out and actually just present in the alpha channel in the real texture)
Cloth5.jpg

More to come, as always C&C is very welcome! Next up I'll be doing some wood. Then I'll probably create some stone/bricks myself similar to the above.

Edit: Just wanted to update with my shitty concept. If you want to know why it looks so bad it's because I haven't had much time to work on it. I may go back later and redo it when I'm finished with the scene :D.

PaintedConcept.jpg

Replies

• jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    ooh hot so far.. there's a lot of good contrast between the shapes, lighting and colors.. so i can't really say anything negative about them.. solid.. can't wait to see your map :)
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks jmiles! Glad you're liking it, I can honestly say I'm really enjoying working on this so far so I'm planning on keeping everything as high quality as I can. So if you see anything that looks off or could be improved let me know!
  • NoltaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Vcortis,

Really nice looking stuff, mind of I ask how long these took and also what brushes and techniques your using? I've been learning to hand paint as well over the past couple of weeks and I'm also looking to start a hand painted map for UDK. The textures are looking really sweet. I cant wait to see more.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Ha, Good luck on the test man. I took that about 3 weeks ago.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    fantastic! without even reading i had assumed the brick at the bottom was yours. you seem to have a firm grasp on the style. keep up the good work!
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work, it's a tough style to nail down, and I think you've done it. If you want people to nitpick, only thing I noticed was the texture (tiled colors) of the cloth doesn't curve enough along the folds.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like you matched their style very well. Maybe the only thing I can say is that you went a little more painterly compared to the reference especially on the cloth. But I say thats minor, good luck!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff man, especially love that cobblestone texture though i think it may have too large of a tonal range (goes a bit too dark), might look a bit noisy in engine. As a stand alone texture it's ace dude.

Weakest one in my opinion is the reinforced metal, looks a bit too photoshoped and less whimsical. Too many obvious straight lines that don't have character. A lot of the lines pass straight over bevels and kill your sense of depth. You might consider using a touch of photo reference and use a combination of filters and hand painting to kick 'em up a notch.

This stuff is lookin' pro, keep it up.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    very slick. dig it a lot.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looks good, just make sure when its tile that it matches up perfectly, I tested the cobblestone by tiling it in photoshop, it needs to be adjusted. Looks great though love the style.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your thread for learning this style has been a success!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks for all the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it. I'm working on the wooden planks now, and hopefully I'll have an update on that tomorrow. Over the weekend I'll work on the crits I got, and also start concepting out the environment. Now on to responses!

Mathes: Yeah, I might go back in and change that a bit. It's hard because I want the cloth to maintain the pattern without looking too distorted, but I think I can push it just a tad more.

Crazyfingers: Thanks man you always give killer crits! The cobblestone is probably slightly too distracting for a floor you're right. On the metal are you referring to the scratches? I'm going to try to avoid photoreference and filters as much as possible.

Snake85027: Yeah I haven't cloned out the seams on the cobblestone yet, just got the stones to "align". I'll have to go back in and do that though.

Cholden: Thanks! Your tips were pro and definitley helped me a lot.

NoltaN: The time it takes for each one varies. I think for the most part I get 90% of the texture done in about 5-8 hours... then I spend 4-5 hours messing around with tiny little things like color correction, contrast, etc. to try to perfect it. The more you paint the faster you get.

I'm using a few custom brushes I made myself, other than that I am using basic round brushes. Technique is start with solid color/shapes. Add in slight color varition. Start defining edges. Then finaly go in and detail it. It's very similar to how you would approach an actual painting. I also should note that I gather quite a few real life references and other illustrations of the material I'm painting to make sure I'm keeping true to it. I often flip back and forth between my real life photo source, and the texture style source (bricks) when painting.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    This all looks very nice, I'm interested to see where this goes. Eventually I'd like to think I could do hand painted textures but I think I will have to start from a basic apple tutorial first!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Lovely style- I'm looking forward to seeing your concept. One thing i'd like to note- the highlights on your cobblestone are pretty extreme when you compare them to the highlights used on the brick, and feel a little too similar stone to stone (the intensity of the highlights on the brick is pretty varied)
    Other than that i'm a fan. I love hand painted textures- you're right, it really feels a lot like painting, and I can really lose myself in a painting. I think I might work on a scene myself sometime soon :) It would be pretty relaxing.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, wanted to give you an update. I'm not done with it yet, had quite a few distractions the last few days unfortunately. But it's close enough where I feel comfortable posting it and getting some critiques on it. One thing to note... I'm going to change the position of one of the planks to vary it up a bit more. Also wondering if the wood is looking red/brown or yellow/brown on your screen, it is switching on me depending on what screen I look at it here.

Wood4.jpg
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really digging all of your work. It makes me want to get after that hand painting stylized look too haha. Keep it up!
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    wow great textures! my only critique is the placement of your nails on your wood. If you put nails so close to the sides and corners your wood will crack. oh and on my screen its darker then your other textures and red brown-ish.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    woahmygod, i'm loving the texture style you developed there.
    the structure on the wood is really a nice touch. what lets the texture down, imo are the nails. the should be darker and have some more visible shadows to them. and like mkandersson said, they are kinda randomly placed ^^
    here's a possible reference picture i found. see how the nails go slightly into the wood instead of sticking out.
    1) you don't get your feet bloody when walking barefoot
    2) the wood ever so slightly bends inwards from the hammering shots

that's highly theoretical nonsense of course :D
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yup looks good although on the wood and the bricks, looks like everything is beveled and not brick or wood just wood and brick that's been beveled to hell. good stuff though, and the bricks make a lovely tilable background for windows.. :D
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    very crisp and vivid. love it!
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    i really like your style man
    keep up the great work !
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey here is an update on the wood. Move the nails further from the edge and made the more uniform and darker. Slightly desaturated and lightened the texture. Also changed the position of one of the planks because I didn't like the way it was tiling.

Acumen I didn't see a link, and I think I know what you're talking about, but I wanted my nails to be a bit raised and not fully smashed into the wood.

Wood6.jpg
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Cool stuff. lol and I like how you're updating your website as you make this stuff.
  • Acumen
  • Mrbrownjd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vcortis

I'm with everyone else and am really digging the style. Catches your eye quickly, it's clean and distinct.

I think you have made really good color choices and everything seems to work together. One thing that might need to be tweaked is the use of highlights. You have definitely chosen a direction for your lighting and been consistent with it but I think some of the highlights could be dulled. Your brightest brights occur too often and creates noise from far away. Less is more? This to me is most evident on the cobblestone walkway.

This is pretty nit picky and some might disagree but it's my 2 cents :) Keep it up man I'm excited to see more!

JD
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, so I've been really busy lately and catching up a lot on some Mod work so I put this on hold for a few days. Here is the concept of what I plan to do... I wanted to make a really kick ass concept piece, unfortunately I haven't had much time and wanted to jump straight into it so this is what you get lol.

It's a sort of "safe haven" in a dark spooky forest. Hopefully I'll have more updates to come soon. I think I'll actually start blocking everything in and modeling and then go back and finish up the texture work once I figure out exactly what materials I need.

PaintedConcept.jpg
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    That's a good idea mate. Your portfolio is coming along nicely.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Serp, I really appreciate it. Here is my progress so far just blocking things in. I have a more technical question though. My original plan was to model only the outside of the building. Keep all the polymeshes separate and create 5 or 6 basic textures I could tile. I could then apply everything easily to each type of polymesh.

However, I decided I want to model the interior of the inn as well. Things suddenly seem a bit trickier since I want to use that specific texturing method (not a texture sheet but rather tileable materials).

My first instinct is to create the outside as a separate object and use it as sort of "shell". Then create a separate mesh for the inside of the building. That way I could use a different material for the outside wall from the inside wall. What do you think?

howw.jpg
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Some beast texture maps there, will be watching this come together.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I think using a second mesh for the inside of the building is perfect. I don't know if it's technically correct, but you would get a really messy mesh IMO so yea, Why not go for it?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I figured out a better way of doing it. But I'm debating wether or not on going through with it... The proportions and structure of the building don't lend itself very well to doing the inside. Not to mention it's a pain navigating it with the camera.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey another update for everyone. This is the base mesh pretty much done. Still have some optimizing to do though. Now I'm going to start creating more textures and UV unwrapping. Once I have the Inn done I'll start doing the props/environment.

shadyinn.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i find when making environements its wise to texture/uv as you go...in passes...start with a few tilling material textures and as you get more involved with the modeling, you will see what needs unique textures and what doesnt....it also doesnt send you as crazy IMO
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Shepeiro. Yeah I'm planning on doing just that. I'm going to be creating mostly tileable textures that I can apply to multiple objects and areas of the scene. I'm going to get a bit further on it before I post another update, but I've already started texturing some parts of it and unwrapping as I go.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here is a quick texture update as I start to fill in some areas. The other main textures I have to do in concerns with the building are brick, roofing, and plaster. After that I'll go back in and make sure the color scheme matches. Then I'll do some of the smaller unique pieces, followed by the environment.

house2x.jpg
    housey.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is coming along, but I would suggest you do few paintovers b4 you move any further.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    that hand-painted stuff doesn't work with ray-traced shadows, I think. it looks.. disturbing somehow.

edit:

also, that tower doesn't fit entirely with the rest of the scene. I mean everything is bent and curvy, and the tower just straight. seems wrong.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    linkov makes a good point. Something about the tower's design doesn't fit the style of the other architecture.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Yup i gotta echo the comments about the tower being very rigid too, loving the hand painted goodness though.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    Loving it so far!I hope I'm not coming off too harsh.. I don't like to sugar coat anything <3 I feel your coble stone texture is too busy/contrasty for a walkway tileset/texture. With fantasy games, you need to figure out where you busiest textures are going to be i.e. floor vs ceiling, floor vs wall. Think about where you would want the player to look first. It's great that you're lighting source is top left for most of your textures. It really makes painterly textures cohesive with the same lighting source. You should apply the same lighting scheme to your coble stone to make your textures more cohesive. For your metal texture, I notice you've used a lot of straight edges. Run as far away from this habit as possible with fantasy stuff. I think you may have gone overboard scuffing up the metal bits, but are heading in the right direction. You NAILED the cloth texture, no crits on that. <3 Loving the wood texture, my only crit would be to add more colors into the wood, maybe a couple washes of blues and greens here and there.

here's a paint over for the coble stone stuff:
    coble.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    tower is too rigid, but hard raytraced shadows (or stencil shadows as they would be in RT) work IMO
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    so how exactly are you going about texturing this since your textures are already done? are you just applying UV Maps to everything and fitting it, or are you actually unwrapping pieces of the model and fitting them to the UVs?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the critiques everyone! I took the weekend off so I'm going to start working on this some more. I'll definitely spice up the tower and give it a little more curve.

Thanks Saiainoshi for the texture crit. I'll go back into those a little later and alter them some.

@Oniram - I'm unwrapping each object and making the UV's match the texture. So for each wooden plank I unwrapped it and lined up each side with a plank for the wood. Hope that makes sense.

Alright back to work on this, hope to have some additional updates soon!
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    but hard raytraced shadows (or stencil shadows as they would be in RT) work IMO

I don't want to argue about this, but visiting this thread again made me realise what it is I think is wrong with these raytraced shadows. Hand-painted textures usually have that predefined light direction, and when raytraced shadows don't match already painted shadows it just seems wrong.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I love your textures - very nice work.

One suggestion I might add is on your wood plank texture. You have different planks joining up however the grain of the wood remains consistent straight across the division in planks. I guess its fantasy and the technique itself is amazing, but I think it might really pop more if the grain didnt line up so perfectly?

go go go!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Microneezia thanks for the critiques, you're actually dead on with your comments and I've been meaning to change it.

I haven't had much time to work on this lately since I got a job I've been scrambling to move and get situated, so I only have some minor updates.

Here is a brick texture I'm working on (not quite finished but close).
    brickc.jpg

and the WIP of some roof shingles:

shingles2.jpg