Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Timer looking for crits on Mr Hyde mesh

Hi all............I want to post a few images of my model based on Mr Hyde.

All 3Ds Max so far, and hope to take into zbrush later for polypaint etc.

Feed me as many ideas on how to make this better guys, I need everyones advice and expertise please.

Cheers!:)

Replies

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hey, welcome to polycount! I'd love to offer feedback, but you didn't post any pictures of your project.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double yoo tee eff!

Are you waiting to be able to attach images? If thats the case...just upload your images to photobucket or something...and use image tags to show it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    no one can attach images we can only link to them through image tags
  • stubbly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys - thanks for being patient with me, I guess we have all got to start somewhere eh?

anyroadup....this is a rehash of my previous attempt a Mr Hyde, would like some feedback on the initial mesh to start with, and I will keep you posted on the progress as time goes by.

Dr Jekyll is still in his early stages, but I hope to make a full diorama so to speak for the final image..........i.e, Hyde lurking in the shadows of a victorian alleyway with a sawn off and a pitbull....kind of thing!

Don't be afraid to be brutal...........

Cheers chaps!

MrHydefront_2.jpg

MrHydefront_1.jpg

MrHyderear_1.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking pretty tight right now sir, the shilouette is awesome as is the weighting of the character. i would work a little more on my edge flow tho, esp if you are going to be rigging or sculpting on this, the topology is a little sloppy in a few areas, like the belly and upper chest area. if you are going to take this to zbrush what you want is evenly spaced square quads, avoid triangles if you can ( which you pretty much always can) because they will give you little pinches when they divide that can cause for a bad sculpting surface. also if its going into z i would suggest making the body and coat's separate meshes, it will be a lot of work, and a big pain to make the coat look as if its being worn in a natural way, and you will have to sculpt at some really bizarre angles. good luck on updates, if you are going to sculpt this i would take all of the above into account, to save a headache later, but the shapes you have right now are pretty sweet man.

edit: the suspenders should definatly be separate meshes too, your setting yourself up for a very unpleasant sculpting experiance, o even out the edgeloops in the arms too, squares not rectangles are ftw.

-Woog
  • stubbly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Woog...........I will make ammends, and yep, I considered making the coat a separate element, but did not know how much 'body' i would need inside the coat, if you get my drift, as i am intending to get this into an engine eventually and game ready, I guessed the extra geometry would be overkill.

The braces are a separate element at the moment, not welded, just snapped in place, so I can play with them separately.

I was fearing the smoothing the Zbrush might do to this also!

Across the stomach there is a double line of polys, that jut out a bit, these are the separation for his vest that has lifted up showing that enormous beer gut, and i wanted to use the edge to give me a slight profile change in the sillohette, and for reference when laying out the UV's.....if you thin it needs to go though, I will adhere to your experience?

Cheers mate........
  • stubbly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more images to show the initial history of this sad fat munter....hence the reason for the revamp!

HYDE_TEXTURE_NORMAL_ISO.jpg

Early Mr hyde....bad normals etc......as well as a lot of other stuff.

DrJekyl3views.jpg

Dr Jekyll with body and coat as separate meshes.

3HEADVIEWSWITHHAT.jpg

Topo of Dr Jekyll's head, showing tash and burns in left hand view.

More opinions needed please!............Stub
  • stubbly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on lardy victorian crim..........cleaned up poly's abit, removed a few tri's, and attempted to add a loose belt on the back of the coat......

MrHydefront_3.jpg

MrHyderear_2.jpg
  • stubbly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple of shots of the Uv'ing process......coat and braces left to layout as you can see...not been able to do much over the weekend, will probably finish this tomorrow night..hopefully!:)

Comments anyone?............

Stub

MrHyderear_uvunwrap_1.jpg

MrHydefront_uvunwrap_1.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, I'm really liking the weight of the character. Great silhouette on both Hyde and Jekyll, too, and huge improvement from your original take.

Topology-wise, it feels like you could get rid of some of the vertical loops on the upper back portion of the coat. Also, the way that double loop zigzags around the front of Hyde's neck could be moved around a bit just to even out the poly distribution. That's pretty nitpicky, though. Really looking forward to seeing this textured.
  • stubbly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers LoTekk, will look at this again tonight during my next stint......I will see if I can lose some of the extra loops from the back as it is my next uv area to layout.

The zigzag is the jawline, but I will see if I can change that if it doesn't effect the face shape too much....

I have updated two image tags, as I moved the source on photobucket and screwed them up a bit.

More crits please..........
  • stubbly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update...........not had a lot of luck texturing this as I'm pretty crap at painting really, but trying to do something odd and see if it works out.....a bit 'witch doctor/Voodoo' at the moment though!......

MrHydefront_1_textured_1.jpg