Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Old General

JeremyRM
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone, I'm new here and plan to start showing up a lot more. I was hoping to get some C&C on this guy before I move ahead with texturing him. My area of concern is the fabric, if anyone had any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work, he reminds me of Dale from King of the Hill. :D

The wrinkles in the fabric look pretty good, though you could stand to have more. You should post on a straight on shot of the full body, front and back for better critiques.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Great expression on the face and nice sculpting as well.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle - Thanks man, I didn't even think of Dale but that's a good comparison. I hope his attitude is a little more confident though hah. I went ahead and did the standard orthographic views as you mentioned. I have a colored material on there I've been working on for the fabric, nothing final and I can still get in there and work more on those folds.

Snake85027 - Thanks for the comment man, I really tried to push the facial expression to capture his character.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Im wondering how the belt loops on his pants go through his shirt :P

Other than that its very nice.
  • rawrsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackets like trenchcoats have belts/belt loops. I'm not sure about a military jacket like that, does seem kind of out of place. doesn't seem to me like someone with a gut like that would do up that belt to make it more obvious
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah funny thing is I was sure I saw an officers jacket with belt loops but now I'm beginning to doubt myself, haha. The front two loops are actually apart of the belt, I referenced that. I think I will pull off the loops on the jacket. Thanks for pointing that out frell.

edit:

I just found an image showing the loops located on the back of the jacket. I'll rearrange them so it's less confusing.
    confed-10.jpg
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawrsie wrote: »
    jackets like trenchcoats have belts/belt loops. I'm not sure about a military jacket like that, does seem kind of out of place. doesn't seem to me like someone with a gut like that would do up that belt to make it more obvious

Thanks for the reply as well rawrsie,

I saw him being kinda proud of his beer gut. He keeps up appearances to an extent but you can see that from the rip in his jacket and his half ass attempt to dress that he's not so much worried about this sort of thing anymore. The character was a part of a game that took place in the future and the social structure at this point had pretty much collapsed and coming by new clothing wasn't that simple.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe you could add yellow to the cuffs on the jacket and some stripes.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The open jacket thing just looks weird. Might be better to have a few buttons that look as though they are about to pop. He looks quite thin anyway, so it makes it even less believable.
    nice model though
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marl- Yeah I plan on using a different color for the undershirt. I was just messing around with materials in zbrush, and those pieces being one mesh I couldn't separate them. Using stripes might look cool, I'll mess around with it.

Ruz you are right man, I went ahead and stretched the jacket some. If I had more time I would do the same for the undershirt but I've got to move on. Thanks as well for the comment man.

Anyways I was going to wait and post an update once I got some textures going but I've been busy and haven't had much of a chance. For now I have to move on to another project and I'll return to this one once that one is finished. In the mean time I went ahead and posed him and plan to have the low poly with normals to show tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really nice, he's got a lot of character. Out of interest, how did you pose it? It looks like Zbrush.. Didn't know you could rig and pose in Zbrush.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Pog, yeah you can pose in Zbrush by using the Transpose master which really just assembles all of your subtools into groups which you can influence together. After you pose you still have to go back and re-sculpt certain areas, it's not the same as rigging a character and posing.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Suggestion: Cigar looks more like a pipe you might want to random it from the burning edge.

No further crit from me because it looks awsome! :)
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Nite!
    I'll take a look at that cigar and see what I can do, thanks for the suggestion.

Here's the low poly, around 12-13k. I could drop it more if I had the time to finish retopoing everything but I was only able to get to the hat, head, jacket, and hands. The pants really need it. I will have to go back to them before I start texturing. The normal map has some areas I need to touch up in Photoshop still, I ran behind because some how I deleted half my low poly model and didn't realize it until 3 saves later.......!! Oh, I also changed the zbrush pose a little.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great even at such low poly! Really good job.

What did you retopologize in? I retopo'd my character a few weeks back and it took me days of work in Max using the Graphite Modelling tools!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Really like the sculpt, the jacket open seems out of character, as if hes opened it on purpose. As a character walking about everyday life doing the job, etc. it looks weird. For a single pose its plausible, but its not selling for me.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha i thought generals had six packs and crew cuts
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I have to agree with Target_renegade on this one. I just can't see a General wearing his uniform in a disheveled state, unless he was senile or somehow otherwise disillusioned, but his smug look doesn't really lend to that interpretation.

That said, the sculpting and the pose look great! Awesome job on the bake as well, really captured the detail.

Edit: When I see his shirt, I can't help but think about this.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, thanks for the comments guys. Nice pic jake, I see what you guys are saying and I know the problem. I really wanted to push character and a big stomach while keeping him in fairly good shape but I should of pushed the fat side further.

Pogo, I used zbrush to retopo, another good one is topogun. Most the time I'll draw out a map on the mesh and then just follow that, hitting all the high points. Faster than going back and deleting points.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here it is textured. I had to have it done in three days so I got a little rushed. I'll have to go back and fix a few things.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice, though the Skin of the face could get some improvement, right now it looks like if was all made of a Flat single colour, witch gives him a plastic toy look.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a look at this one, I think it might be the lighting on those three. If not good to know man, thanks for the input. Glasses I'm planning on redoing here in a bit.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    The illumination helps, but i see some things that could be fixed here, for example the eyebrows, his hair looks to greyish black, or what used to be black hair, you could make his eyebrows the same tone as the hair, and give him a lil bit more or red tone over the zones like the ears and other parts of the face.
    The rest looks great though, good job =)
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks cap, I'm going to get in there this weekend and push the values on the face further and fix the brows and glasses.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Apart from what Hotkill said, it looks absolutely stunning. Really well done Jeremy, love the style.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    I still think the jacket looks weird. Like, why is it so much tighter at the bottom, when usually a jacket would fan out
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pogo!

Harry I had meant for it to be along these lines

Next character I work on, if I do something like this I will plan on exaggerating these things so it's more pronounced and less confusing.

I was too far along to go back, I think I will post my concept work from now on and get some feedback on that before I go ahead with my models.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Love the amount of character in his face. Loads of personality. I agree on the jacket. I don't know if an old war-horse like that would stand to have his beloved uniform unkempt like that.

The texturing is good as well.