Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Custom Unreal Model - Constructive Feedback Please!

Hi,
I have modeled and rigged my own custom character and imported it into the unreal engine. There are two outfits which can be alternated between body parts.

Can anyone give me constructive feedback please

Thank you

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qokOaX5NKcw[/ame]

armourtex.jpg

armourwire.jpg

clothingtex.jpg

clothingwire.jpg

Replies

• Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man, nice to see you went all the way through and implemented it into a game. That being said I feel you really need to take a step back and open some anatomy books. Your topology is also in need of some reworking. For instance, I'm not sure why there is a whole clutter of polys on top of her head and yet her head is still flat. The hair line is receding to the point that it looks like she is balding. There are really a lot of issues and maybe getting some reference materials to work from would help.
  • spud1029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please give feedback as i need it
  • Lortomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not a character artist but I've know a couple from what I've seen you have to.
    >Learn the human form try learning how to draw them
    http://fineart.sk/
    >Learn muscle structure from anatomy books or images
    > check the sill silhouette. Put an black material on the model and rotate it to check if the model reads as an character. Zbrush has a hot key built in for this.
    >Look for tutorials there is a million of them out there
    >If you think it doesn't look right don't worry about the time you spent redo it.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Um, honestly, the model looks like something from the 90's. Hell, I'd even go as far to say it looks like something from N64.

Anyway, I'm not a character modeler so I can't speak for the topology, but it doesn't look good to me. I'm sure someone else can tell you exactly WHY though...

Texture needs a lot of work. It's very bland. It could use more saturation, some actual texture, a better specular and normal map.... So many things could be fixed with it.

I'm sorry that is such a basic crit, I would go take a look at other character modelers work and study it... A LOT...
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    she looks like a nut cracker!
  • spud1029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the advice guys,
    i seriously didnt actually wanna do this work - its for uni so i had to :P
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Nice to see you got her ingame. So far as the model goes the best advice would be to get some good reference and do your best to stick to it.

Why is the first version not wearing any pants?
  • spud1029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Nice to see you got her ingame. So far as the model goes the best advice would be to get some good reference and do your best to stick to it.

Why is the first version not wearing any pants?

cuz shes a slag
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    spud1029 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice guys,
    i seriously didnt actually wanna do this work - its for uni so i had to :P

its like lara crofts transvestite brother =0 lols

joking aside its good you stuck with it and finished something but next time go back to basics and start with good reference(anatomy studying and clothes/design reference) and concept drawings before creating something. Then watch some character poly modelling videos for some ideas on how other people create thier characters. If youve already done this reference/research/learning before I suggest you do it some more, Im not pro yet but even the best of us are constantly learning ways to better ourselves.
  • spud1029
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    its like lara crofts transvestite brother =0 lols

lol!

Cheers for advice dude :)