Home Technical Talk

Viewport canvas/seam fixing problem

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
omid3098 polycounter lvl 13
when I want to use these features, they both (3d max viewport canvas and TexTool seem fixing part) will grab low quality of texture(what actually 3d max default viewport shows)
so after fixing seems and reload, seem areas will be in low quality..
first viewport before fixing seems:
Viewport.jpg
first render before fixing seems:
Render.jpg
viewport after fixing seems:
Fixed%20viewport.jpg
render after fixing seems:
Fixed%20render.jpg

any suggestions please?

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The reason you're seeing a black line on your UV's seam is similar to an issue game artists face caused by mip-mapping.

With-in your viewport, your texture is being displayed at a smaller size than it actually is for greater performance. 3d modeling software typically have different settings for displaying texture sizes and filtering. Look in your settings/help. This is what you should find and adjust to get the results you want. You can also solve this issue by giving your UV edges more padding, which is a good habit to have when making game art.

Typically, when creating a texture for a game model, you'll want to pad the edge with 2-5 pixels. Mip-Mapping downsizes an image so that when the model it's associated with moves further away from view, a lower rez texture is swapped out for performance reasons. Problems occur when a texture rides too close to the UV edge. Shrinking an image 50% , for example, turns 4 pixels into 1. So if 2 of those 4, were, say a black background, and the other 2 were a light brown metal, they'd turn into a dark brown. The blur is from the texture filtering. Most of Mip-Mapping is automatically done, but some are created manually to ensure desired results.

Dicks.
  • omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I don't care about those black lines in viewport. cuz I'm using Xuliol viewport shader, and final results into game engine is almost like it.
    my only problem is in final image, which low quality capture left bad effect on original quality..
    so is there any way to capture with better quality?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.kxcad.net/autodesk/3ds_max/Autodesk_3ds_Max_9_Reference/configure_direct3d_dialog.html
    In the section Download Texture Size, enable "Match Bitmap Size as Closely as Possible."

Also, Edge Padding on the wiki.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omid3098 wrote: »
    Actually I don't care about those black lines in viewport. cuz I'm using Xuliol viewport shader, and final results into game engine is almost like it.
    my only problem is in final image, which low quality capture left bad effect on original quality..
    so is there any way to capture with better quality?
    KP and Eric are right, your UV edge is straddling half a pixel you need to pad the edge to get rid of the black. The reason its disappearing is because its when you clone it out, its actually padding it for you.

Personally I take a little bit longer but never run into the blurry problem with PeterK's method.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061019/kojesta_01.shtml

Also keep in mind that you should turn off Anti Aliasing and Global Super Sampling when you bake otherwise it can blur your textures a little.

And one more thing to keep in mind, they are upgrading viewport canvas pretty heavily in 2011, I'm VERY excited to try it out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shEl4iMebxM[/ame]
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    You have to keep in mind that this viewport canvas implementation was mainly a "conversation starter" :)

The method vig suggested is a very good one if you don't use any other painting application.

In any case though you shouldn't get low res textures on your viewport if you had enabled "match bitmap" in the preferences.
  • omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you guys..
    My problem solved buy erick's link.
    now since I can get good quality in viewport, I can grab that with capturing..
    btw I know several methods to remove seems. and this was easiest (and of course fastest) way for me to remove them. and the ony problem was quality.
    again thank you all.. :)
  • Eric Chadwick
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    The new viewport canvas is a dream come true :)
  • omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated this page, might help you.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Painting_Across_Seams
    thank you ;)
    Vig wrote:
    And one more thing to keep in mind, they are upgrading viewport canvas pretty heavily in 2011, I'm VERY excited to try it out.
    its AMAZING!