Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard Surface and Organic Modeling - Liquor Store

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
Hello polycount

so started my 4th quarter at the art institute of california - san diego just recently. i got into hard surface which is an entire maya class . for the next 5 weeks i must work on a liquor store scene, and could use some ideas on what to do. i was considering doing a shanghai liquor store because it would give a theme and i could ass some pretty crazy stuff like paper lanterns and a meat cooler with dog and cat. also this is my 2nd 3D class, and it sucks having to learn maya when all i used last quarter was 3DS max.

Project 1: Hard Surface Shabby Liquor Store - due at the beginning of class on week 5.
A small Diorama of the inside entrance of a Liquor store. Not the whole interior, just a small piece, but completely contained in the diorama so it displays well. The scene can contain things like gumball machines, corkboards, bottles, cans, magazines, shopping carts, palettes, boxes…whatever.
Design, color choices are up to the student but all objects must be completely mapped with bitmaps. The scene must be lit with lights and shadows are strongly recommended. Lighting can be fairly generic since the space is open.

Suggestions or ideas i would greatly appreciate
thank you

Replies

• Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to rework your textures it feels like a bunch of things in a room nothing feels together.Also you have alot of textures that don't look like they are lining up as well and looks off.Example the scene with the drink fridges your floor textures are way to big as do some of your other textures look at some references.

You may also wanna look at some more reference for some of your props you definitely have some scale issue with a bunch of things.Id also take a look at your lighting.

You have a base just try to tie it all together keep going on it you'll get it man
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before the thread gets too far and people are critiquing works by past students I think it needs to be clear what the thread is about.
    ... here are the assignment directions with student work from last quarter (NOT MINE)
    The person is asking for ideas and showing these as reference.

Personally I would throw these out and not even shoot for this quality level, its horrible. If these are A+ examples then the school needs to shut its program down. The bar needs to be set a lot higher than this, much higher.

I would dig up some real world reference, flickr, google whatever.

Don't waste your time comparing your stuff to past students or peers compare your stuff to whats in the industry already. If these pieces are in portfolios then these people aren't landing jobs.

Instead of doing dirty and crime ridden, with what about trying to keep it cleaner and functional? Try to use the lighting to evoke a mood instead of just simply just adding some lights to make sure the scene isn't 100% black.
    What about going into the future or back to the past?
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah my bad i completely read that wrong but yeah what vig said aim higher lol
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    *edited after user removed images and post.... You shouldn't have removed the part about this not being your work as most of us thought this was you work. I would never post someone else's work without their permission if that is the case.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to see top quality (something to aim for), take a look at the Heavy Rain corner store scene; from the screens I've seen, it's quite well done.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    *edited after user removed images
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Once again....it needs to be said.

These.
    Aren't.
    His.

I wouldn't be posting past student work without their permission in the first place.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    That sad thing is, this is the quality that most of the students graduate at my university, and they make the same grade as I.

:poly118:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first off progg these arent mine so idc for the harsh critiques

you guys are right shouldn't have put up other students work without my permission for that i took em down.

second for the people who saw them yes they are A+ material because may i remind you this is everyones 2ND 3D class. we haven't been doing this stuff for years.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11

you guys are right shouldn't have put up other students work without my permission for that i took em down.

second for the people who saw them yes they are A+ material because may i remind you this is everyones 2ND 3D class. we haven't been doing this stuff for years.

I edited my posts. You really shouldn't have removed the "this is not MY work" post Vig quoted as it made everyone think it was yours. It was only meant to help the work quality.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i just wanted to take em down especially after you said you would never post other peoples work without their permission, sorry
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The problem with saying "its good for a 2nd 3D class" is that you fall into the trap of "oh we're students" and never step up to the pro level. When they hand out A's for that kind of work people get lulled into a false sense of success.

You'll be up to speed a lot faster if you hold yourself to a higher standard early on. Even if you don't hit that bar still aim for it.

Hopefully the instructors are pointing out all the mistakes made and giving good honest feedback instead of just rubber stamping completed projects?
    If they aren't don't put too much stock in the grades they hand out.

Don't forget that you're job is to walk away from this with a higher quality level than everyone else its how you'll stand out. The market is flooded full of qualified artists who can do pro level work, there are a lot of people with experience looking for work also.

BUT lets get this back on track you need some serious ref.
    Won't be as funny without a character in the scene but it could be a cool idea.
    835funny-store-legs-old-lady.jpg

What about going back to the past?
    generalstore.jpg
    Mooredrugstore.jpg

What about something clean and a little modern?
    sside_liquor_1.jpg
    Honestly I'm so sick of dirt and blood as "detail" in games. It would be refreshing to see someone stretch past the standard array of grunge stamp brushes.

Or an actual liquor store that isn't in the middle of a war zone.
    store_liquor.jpg
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    well i just wanted to take em down especially after you said you would never post other peoples work without their permission, sorry

Don't feel sorry man, no one is attacking you. We're all just trying to help :)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, an old style liquor store would be amazing. :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    wow. 4th quarter and ur in hard surface already? im at AI Fort Lauderdale and we didnt start our first 3ds max class til almost 4th quarter.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    That's the problem with a lot of unis these days i think, they set the bar so low that when you graduate your work isn't even close to industry standard (i was 1 of the top modelers in my grade) and my work was horrible in comparison to what it is now after a year or so of self teaching.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. I graduated from AI Seattle with a HORRIBLE portfolio. Wasn't until some self learning and "related industry" practice till I got into games.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it all depends some guy graduated from my school and went straight to bungie
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    That really depends on the raw talent and drive of the individual person and not so much the school.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    kdm3d wrote: »
    Agreed. I graduated from AI Seattle with a HORRIBLE portfolio. Wasn't until some self learning and "related industry" practice till I got into games.

Same thing happened to me. Once in a while I look at my demo reel from graduation and go "Oh dear God. I need to hide this..."
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    Progg wrote: »
    That really depends on the raw talent and drive of the individual person and not so much the school.

True enough. You only get out what you put into it. Always raise the bar and never settle for just what they expect of you. It's never enough, there aren't enough hours in a day for the amount of time you really have to spend learning.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    JeremyRM wrote: »
    True enough. You only get out what you put into it. Always raise the bar and never settle for just what they expect of you. It's never enough, there aren't enough hours in a day for the amount of time you really have to spend learning.

Yes, and you might impress the right person while you are in college. I have a friend that graduated and got a job, and referred them to me getting me some contract work.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator

I agree. It also helps to know people. Networking's a huge factor as well. Start while you're in school and your chances drastically increase to hit the ground running.

As for the project goes, Go down the street find a liquor store ask the owner to take pictures for reference and rock it out. It makes things a lot easier in my opinion if you've got personal experience with something you're making. Gives you a better idea for scale and such. Once you've got that all down, you can really put some creative emphasis on things to spice it up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you guys for all the kind words and ideas, hopefully i crank something out in 5 weeks
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Good luck King of Ska, just remember quality over quantity! Better to reuse one generic awesome bottle 50 times than to have 10 really cruddy ones.

Also i really liked this image from vig:
    generalstore.jpg

Not many assets but still a very interesting image, heck it's even in black and white, you don't need crazy diffuse or specs for an interesting scene and don't over saturate as people new to this tend to do! Keep a keen eye out for how you can let lighting build interest in your scene. Lighting is incredibly important, it's the one detail we're able to add without doing much work, just "render" or "bake", on objects that are arranged interestingly. Look at how interesting those sandbags and plates are and all it is is one simple asset stacked in a somewhat random way. Use deformers to give these objects a random element, rotate, scale, deform, etc.

Don't think you have to exactly recreate these images though, think about what's worth it in each image vs how much time it's going to take to make. The lamps above for example, they're going to take longer to model and they're really not going to make your scene feel like a "bar", i'd ditch 'em. Make a few bottles, some sandbags and plates and i'd say you're good to go, get some nice lighting, learn some cool render effects in max and you should be able to blow everyone away, just match the scale in these pictures, scales is incredibly important too, and if you worry about it early it's smooth sailing. You might say to yourself, "sandbags aren't in bars", well that may be generally true, but sanbags are awesome game assets, figuring out ways to bring tried and true assets to your scene is VERY important, obviously these aren't sand bags, maybe you could make yours bags full of nuts the patrons eat while they drink. Just be creative.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooohhh crazyfingers

an aisd graduate

the assignment was given by van dall, i dont know if you remeber him, but he wants it his way haha and its an all maya class
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lets see something :)

No actual work yet..as for the student work, don't hold yourself to such a low standard. That is how it was at my school. Most of the students were absolutely terrible...and none of said students have professional jobs....that was 3 years ago that they graduated.

If you want a standard to shoot for, post at places like this. There are industry pros here...and if you ever expect to get a job...remember that we are the guys you would be competing with.

As for a student getting a job at bungie straight out of school...I won't call bs because you never know...but that is *ridiculously* unlikely. Juss sayin.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it all depends some guy graduated from my school and went straight to bungie
    He probably would have ended up there without school. He's probably a good example of someone that raised his personal bar past what was required and held himself to a higher standard. He probably also did a mother-f-ton of work outside of school.

Bungie would hire quality regardless of what school it came from or even if it didn't go to school at all. The key to getting a good job in this industry isn't getting good grades, its getting a great portfolio together.

One past students freak success will not transfer to you just because you might sit in the same classroom he did. It's all about the quality of the work you do.

AI-A's are hyper inflated because they want their students to stay in the program and for their fledgling teacher career to continue.
    AI-A's are really industry D's or F's. You can account for this hyper inflation and still get something useful out of AISD.

It's going to be hard enough to get a job with a great portfolio. It's going to be nearly impossible with a stock AI portfolio.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

talent is irelevant, its hard work and how hard you push yourself forwards, talent might open doors a bit quicker in the beginning but in the end its just work