Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project_RRD

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
So I've been learning Quest3d for about a year and a bit, with the aim of learning the trade of game design and making my own projects- mainly for the experience and the fun right now..

After a many learning projects and tests I've begun work on a game I've had rattling around my head for a good few years now. Its nothing earth shattering, basically an arena combat game with cars, but I aim to make it quite tightly polished and pleasant to play.

Anyway, I've kept it under wraps for a while and even though it's still really rough and early I wanted to start documenting my progress.

Here's the first vid- apparently I have a lot to learn about getting good quality youtube video...
(it did say that the video is still being processed whatever that means)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTlyhgmFhwQ[/ame]

some may have already seen a bit of the concept art:
car_version02.png
enemy_01.jpg

cheers!

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    looking awesome dude!
  • marlfox8
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This looks great. how much of the car physics did you program ?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks great fun simple but interesting mechanics...nearly ready for art?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks guys! didnt realise there were replies in here :)
    I spent a long time setting up the physics, or rather tweaking them to suit. It uses Newton physics engine for the simulation..
    Shep: it is nearly ready, but there's still a lot of gameplay stuff to do so I'm just interspersing making art with the coding so I don't get bored with either :)

wheelcar.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks fun!

last concept is badass
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    'base' concept:
    camp.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    what is the game play going to be like? what kinda game?
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    rooster wrote: »
    thanks guys! didnt realise there were replies in here :)
    I spent a long time setting up the physics, or rather tweaking them to suit. It uses Newton physics engine for the simulation..
    Shep: it is nearly ready, but there's still a lot of gameplay stuff to do so I'm just interspersing making art with the coding so I don't get bored with either :)

wheelcar.jpg

Dude this thing is awesome. I wonder how it will take on enemys. I'd love to see it taking in infantry by just crushing into enemy squads. Design wise I feel that the cockpit could be little more lightweight (a speedy vehicle designt for maximum velocity) as it looks a little heavy to me. Maybe consider a cockpit which is not completly closed or an AI-Controled vehicle which only needs some sensors and cams to find its deadly way.
    But thats taste.

Also: Great project I'd like to play it one day. So hurry up ;)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    rhinokey: it's sort of a cross between a driving shooting game and a scrolling shooter. The game plays in waves where you head out of base into the world, kill stuff, then head back. There's a little more to it than that but it's all sort of in flux at the moment, but my main focus so far has been getting a nice driving feel and making the shooting fun.. if that's right then whatever else I do can't go too far wrong :)

Slave_zero: cheers :). That might become an enemy unit actually, which tries to ram you and cut up your car. The overly heavy feel is intentional, basically everything in the game will feel that way