Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thorr Bust

Alright guys this is my 1st post. I need critiques for this bust, I am going for a grizzled looking Thorr from Norse Mythology. Currently its setting around 165,000 polys. Obviously there is no hair yet just trying to get the anatomy down first, and I have only out maybe two minutes into the ears. So come on guys help me out and make me cry.
-Thanks
[IMG][/img]01.jpg
[IMG][/img]02.jpg
[IMG][/img]03.jpg
04.jpg

Replies

• zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    There is an overall lumpyness to it, that I imagine stems from you going too high in subdivision too early, when you should be defining shapes in the lower resolutions. The face is perticularly guilty of this.
  • StevenEgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    Damn it! I was really hoping to see an Alien when I opened this thread :(

lol, but anyway. This looks like a nice start, I agree with things having an overall lumpiness to them, you should probably try to solidify the forms on a lower sub-div lvl a bit more.... pretty much what Zenarion said.

Nice start though.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah try and keep it basic for as long as you can.

What sometimes is overlooked, is the skill to compare.
    Dont start out "guessing" the anatomy, this will let you come up with things and they become harder to unlearn over time. Start off well with gathering lots of references.
    Take your time to compare your model to what it actualy looks like, and try to form it into that.

step by step, and move things around alot to see where you can take it :)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah man, reference, reference, reference. Always start by getting yourself tons of pictures of your subject. I'd go for pictures of Thor in different styles (assuming you're going for the Marvel character, get drawings from different artists so you can understand the key points each artist tried to represent the most), viking armor, muscular people...there are a LOT of things you could be using for ref. Then make like a board of pictures and get them on a second monitor or, if you don't have one, just print them out and pin them all over your walls. You can never have enough refence.

Also, I assume you're using mostly the Standard brush. You should try different brushes, I for example can't sculpt without using the Clay Tubes brush, it's very useful to roughly chisel your model on the early stages and better define the edges between the main anatomy planes. You could also try changing the focus point on your standard brush to sculpt more sharply on certain areas.

Every artist uses the tools they feel most comfortable with though, so try different approaches to what you're doing and see what fits you best.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, don't guess, learn the masses of the head - the brows, the cheekbones, the mandible etc. Grab some reference form Bridgeman or Loomis.

This image may help:

asaro.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Also, this thread might be useful.
  • diablos_demie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent, thank you for your advise everyone, and to felipefrango I will admit that I am a clay tube whore. But I will work on the lumpiness and the awkward brow. More screen caps to come
  • diablos_demie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here the 2nd int of the sculpt more critiques welcomed thanks[IMG][/img]round.jpg
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here the 2nd int of the sculpt more critiques welcomed thanks[IMG][/img]round.jpg

Are you using any reference? There are a lot of small made up muscles on his side.

Also, his shoulders needs to be WAY WIDER than that. I forgot if it was 3 heads or 2 1/2 for males.

This is Andrew Loomis...

http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_var.gif

Look at the heroic one.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    That's pretty far off from reality. I think you need to step a bit back and pull out a piece of paper and pencil and some good reference. Get an understanding of anatomy, proportion and placement before you try to do it in 3-d. I don't want to sound rude, but I think you're wasting time right now messing around in z-brush w/out having a clear picture of how things should look.

Get some really good reference and sketch out (in just lines) the look of your Thor. I can tell you have a pretty basic idea of where things should go and how they should look, but you're just missing the mark a bit.

Good luck, and don't give up.

Edit: Just want to say, Anatomy and Character's especially humans ARE HARD to do. Everyone can tell right away what is wrong, so it's very important you get it right. I'm not an expert by any means though.