Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Edge of Damnation 40k sword

Hello everyone!
First time posting on these forums, but have followed them for a little while and really dig the community. Anyhow, I'm at a point in my career where I want to restructure my style and so to make a long story short I want to get more into concepting and hand painted texturing. My goal would be to one day work at Vigil. So without rambling on too much this is my Chaos Marine chainsword I concepted out and am about to dive into Zbrush to start the high poly mesh. Please let me know any concerns or thoughts any of you have :).Chaos_sword_wip_concept.jpg

Replies

• Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    cool concept, the blade seems kind of short considering the length and size of the handle and decoration. Can't tell if it's a 1h / 2h sword, but yer 1h should still be longer and 2h longer than that.. at least imo :p

Sculpt should be cool :D
  • Rubadub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Raider, the sword will be a 1h the next piece I was gonna do would be a bolter (I think that's the word) to go along with it. For the length I see what you mean I can always extend it in the model, I was actually going off of this pic when I did the length... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/3032695028_6176787062.jpg

Maybe a tad bit longer you think?
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The proportions in your image Rubadub shows the actual chain sword area being a little more than twice the hilt. A tad bit longer should be good. I like how it's looking so far nice work.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't the blade sideways? Maybe it doesn't matter as much with such an ornamental sword, but usually you'd want the blade around the other way to protect the hands better.
  • Rubadub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosey- Thanks bud glad you like it!

Jackablade- Sorry if I misread but the blade itself is taken from a front view perspective so when swung the horns themselves would be jutting out a bit. The view I drew the sword I was told by one of my buds isn't the best to convey so I kinda flopped on that haha. What I will do though in my model is show both ways and we can see which is better.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Sup DV. Welcome to the forums buddy. This sword concept is looking bad ass. My only beef is with the blade itself. The material looks like stone and not very metallic. It doesn't have a very interesting shape to it. I like the sketch you have on the right side, is there a reason you didn't go with that? Looking forward to see the high res.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't mean to be harsh but It really doesn't look like a chainsword at all, they are basically just sword sized chainsaws. The top row are Chaos and the bottom are Imperial:
    chainswords.gif
    as you can see in the reference there are elements common to 40k chainswords

If you decide to just do a demonic sword I would suggest shrinking the skull and changing it's orientation, it's very awkward looking right now. Here's a paintover
    sword_paintover.jpg
  • Rubadub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick update. I have the highpoly base mesh ready to be taken into Zbrush for fine detailin and what not.

Snight- Good to see ya hopefully the model addresses any issues.

Justin- Not at all man I appreciate the honesty. Let me know if the model still isnt hitting the mark. Looking more at your drawings and referance there's more mechanical stuff than organics and I was trying to do something a little more organic like. I dig the paintover you did and dont really have a problem turning this 1h into like a 2h bastard sword, this is my first time doing something like this and I know ima need a lot of practice haha.

Chaossword_front_wip.jpg

Chaossword_side_wip.jpg
    chaosswordsidewip.jpg

chaosswordfrontwip.jpg

chaosswordsidewip.jpg

chaosswordsidewip.jpg
  • Rubadub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick sidenote to this, I was thinking of making the sides like human souls from past battles trapped in and be the blades main power source to work.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi there, im with raider on this, even if its a one handed sword at the moment with the skull part the size it is the proportions look more like a knife, esp given the typical proportions of weapons in Warhammer, i think the blade could be at least half again as long as it is an a bit thicker too.

like the execution so far. only crit other than the proportions is that in your concept the point of the blade is a much sharper angle much better oriented for stabbing than the one modeled, it also just looks meaner with that sharp angle at the tip, good for a chaos weapon, i would try to match the side view of the tip from the concept. cheers and gl on updates!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Tzeench-esque eye is a nice touch at the bottom.
    Keep it up.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BEEF IT UP!
    Warhammer is all about ridiculous blocky proportions.
    This does not fit the style and is so far not stylish.
    Right now it would break when hitting a bulky space marine.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Chainswords are meant to be seen from the side. The front is the least exciting view of a chainsword, they're all about the silhouette.

Can you post some side shots of this? The blade in the 34th's shot seems both too thin and not deep enough.

Additionally, your proportions for your blade are totally off. With the way a chainsword is built, the front of the blade is more exposed than the back of the blade - the front of the blade is about 2 hilt/handle heights tall, and the rear is about 1.6 or so. Yours is about 1.2 hilt/handle heights tall in in the front, so its really not working.

If you're trying to make something that fits in the 40k universe, taking really significant liberties like the fundamental proportions of the model is not a good way to fit into that world. Special embellishments like your hilt are cool, but the fundamental proportions are not something you really want to mess with.
  • Rubadub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, thank you very much for the feedback :). I'm going to go through the model today and rework as much as I can to Beef this up and fix the proportion problems. Will post an update tomorrow that will hopefully get this sucker in the right direction.
  • Rubadub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    front.jpg
    So messin around today with this and here is the new sword, thanks Justin for the paintover and everyone else with the critiques. I'm going to spend the weekend busting out zbrush and start putting up some proper shots of this (front,side, etc) sorry there isn't a side here Ghost just saw your post. I'll put one up as soon as I get zbrush on this. Hopefully you guys like this new direction and Ima get some sleep!