Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon Sword

Hi Everyone

This is my first post I believe, which is a shame cause I SHOULD have been getting more critique here a long time ago.

Anyways, I'm working on hand painting my textures and am doing so with a funky sword with moving parts.

The idea was to have a sword possessed by a demon. Going for an aged look and very ornate. It now has a moving eye and teeth. May be working in a blinking eye as well.

850 Tri / 1024 texture at the moment.

Please critique to your hearts content. :)

Here is my progression

s_render_01.5.jpg
s_render_02.jpg
s_render_03.jpg
s_silhouette_test.jpg

mrbrownjd.blogspot.com
mrbrownjd.com

JD

Replies

• Mrbrownjd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the new hilt. The one before didn't quite match the rest of the sword so I wanted to redo it. The handle and the bottom piece still needs to be addressed but I'm excited to change it. Any thoughts?

sword_render_04.jpg

sword_render_5.2.jpg
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey I can't believe no one has commented on this. I remembering seeing this early and I forgot to leave one myself!

This is looking a lot better already. I'm definitely digging the style and overall look of it. A few things are bothering me though that might be slightly difficult to change now.

First things first. The new hilt looks a lot better. However, it is waaaaay too small for a blade that big. It needs to be much wider and longer.

The top part of the blade is also too big. I know this is a stylized piece, but it needs to be somewhat believable. Right now I just thing it is too top heavy, especially since the hilt is small (that could change). I would shrink that top part by maybe 25-30%.

Lastly, the "teeth" are looking really awkward. I'm just not sure it's a good design choice. In all honesty I think it would look cooler if the blade were just serrate on that edge instead of having these "hooks" on a pivot.

If your really want them for a functionality purpose, I would suggest making them a little smaller as well, and trying to blend the texture better. They don't look integrated into the sword but instead just smacked on.

Overall though it's looking really nice man. Keep it up I'm actually pretty interested in seeing the effects you're doing for it too with the eyes and such.
  • Mrbrownjd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vcortis for your feedback! I did a quick paint over of some possibilities of the sword.

I definitely agree that top of the sword was too heavy and when I reduced it I was even more convinced it needed to change it. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix. After making it smaller i felt the hilt was decent in proportion to the rest of the sword but I'll give it a 2nd glance.

I experimented with different teeth. I was really pushing for some moving parts on sword to make it pop but what I have currently IS kinda an eye soar. Here is what I have come up with but I'm not sold on any of them except maybe for the Saw, jk. If anyone has ideas I'm open to them.

shape_test.jpg
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I like the one on the far left from you picture above ^ for me at that distance it reads the best, its a little more subtle than the others but looks far more nasty! Good work!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the second from the left is the best. The far left one is really cool but inconsitent with the overall design of the sword. The serrated blades look very jagged and kinda of crude, the rest of the sword is extremely ornate and smooth, they just don't match.

I'd go off of the second from the left, maybe do 2 more iterations similar to that. Looking good! Shrinking that top portion definitely helped.
  • Mrbrownjd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried a few more iterations. Still not sold but I don't want to move on till i find something I'm crazy about.

I'm kinda digging the one with the spikes just cause I threw it in at the bottom and it ties it in a little more. Looks a little weak and I might break one of them off if I go that direction.

I'm at the point where I need to decide where I want you to pay the most attention, which originally was the top of the blade.

Thoughts?

shape_test_2.jpg
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    The spikes are cool, but the far right version works well also (other than the extra visual noise from the interrupted gold trim). Really it's a close enough call not to worry about much, I'd just pick one of those and stick with it. The grip still looks a bit fragile considering the heft of the weapon. Nice progression, the texture work in particular has come a long way on this.
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make the spikes bigger and have crazy demon lightning, energy stuff coursing between the spikes
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree either the one you have circled or the far right one. Hilt does need to be a little bigger too imo.
  • Eneyeseekay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really digging the texture, for some reason I'm drawn to the scratches/dents on the blade. If I had to leave any crit, I'd say that handle needs to be a bit thicker. Aside from that, I think it's turning out great.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the spike one. i also agree with insaneklown
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    great job! I like it! For sure the middle one that you have boxed there. I like it because it brings an element out from the middle base of the sword. The rest are good to.. but this one is for the win!
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demon lightning FTW
    paint_over.jpg?t=1271219013
  • Mrbrownjd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words and support. I had only got a few hours to work on it this week but I made some cool progress. Got the eye working and did a little break down and animation for you to see.

I also made the fixes we were talking about and put the spikes on it. I'm spending today finishing up the texture. Also, because of all the adjustments and the new pieces I build I had to redo the UV's and everything is a higher resolution now.

Thoughts?

Eye Test
    http://vimeo.com/10992691

eyebreakdown.jpg

sword_render_6.jpg