SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
Armored Goblin
WIP base mesh
ArmoredGoblinSS3.jpg
Wires
ArmoredGoblinSS2.jpg

Concept by Mr.Delicious
fishgoblinarmor2.jpg
His thread can be found here http://gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3343

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha i love mr. delicious great sb he has, cool concept, execution looks good so far!
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that magikarp armor?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I didn't know Goblins wore their hair in the same styles as Humans!

Anyway the concept looks nice! I'm not sure about the hair on the low poly but everything else is looking good.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks everyone!
    I'm almost done with the base, just have to make the legs. I'm hoping I get the base done tonight... I'm going to be out of town tomorrow until Tuesday

Yeah thanks Zipfinator. I know what you mean, the hair's more so a place holder. I'm going to have his actual hair long, sparse, and in strands. Like Smeagol's hair, except more of it. By the way, Mr.Delicious made the concept, not I

Achillesian, yeah, his stuff is amazing

Yamo, ha, pretty much. His concept's image file is entiteld "fishgoblinarmor," so I'd imagine so xD
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I would rather see the back of the helm flow down his back like the scales of a fish. That way it would better go with the design on the top of it. It would be very cool to see his full body armor create the look of a fish as he swam under water. it would give him a nice backstory and reason to be wearing that.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Thegodzero, thanks, I'll try that out
    Finished the base mesh for the most part. I'll probably change the arm armor later as I just kinda quickly did it for time's sake, getting rather late
    ArmoredGoblinSS4.jpg
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    This one is full of WIN!!
    Once its done you should pimp this to Mr. D
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks ru4it!
    Took him into ZBrush and started sculpting the face and such
    ArmoredGoblinSS5.jpg
    (Oh and after I looked at this image, I realized the mouth was off and adjusted it accordingly)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good. One thing that catches my eye is the way the arm goes into the armor. It makes it look like the arm is a separate mesh when it's actually connected to the body (At least I think it's the same mesh as the body). You could open up the arm holes a bit more to fix it.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah you're right. Heh I hadn't even really paid attention to the shirt armo holes yet, they were really off! And yeah the arms and head are connected
    ArmoredGoblinSS7R.jpg
    Here's an update, also worked on the face
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    great work so far! dude you've really improved since i saw your first posts here :). keep it up!
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Such a cool character its coming along really nice can't wait to see this move along
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome keep it up. Love the character it has. And not the usual "goblin" in 99% of other games which I like. You're doing a great job on the face.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really wicked cool :) Reminds me of Overlord a bit.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a big fan of Mr. Delicious, and you picked a cool concept of his. The model is looking really great, keep going!
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, thanks everyone! Here's an update
    ArmoredGoblinSS8.jpg
    I'm going to add in some asymmetry to the gear
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    A quick polypaint for fun
    ArmoredGoblinSS11.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    The eyes look especially great! Keep it up!
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks roosterMAP!
    Okay, here's the color scheme I think I'm happy with
    ArmoredGoblinSS13.jpg
    Opinions?
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Aww, I kinda liked the red colour scheme ;P but I suppose this one looks more realistic. I also feel like his proportions are stumpier in the concept, which might just be him hunching? idk

Also wondering if he's wearing shoes or greaves. Some detailing would be cool, but it's still WIP so I'll wait for your update :)
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For an interesting character that is a very uninteresting color scheme. The reason why the red worked so well in the original was because it is a complimentary color that really made his green eyes pop.

If you want to keep it realistic you don't have to go quite as vibrant with the colors, but I would definitely make it less brown and more red, with hints of blue/purple on the skin and armor in dark areas.

It's looking really good though, don't let my comments deceive you!
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks crasong and vcortis!
    Is this an improvement? I know it's still not really red (and not too much of a change), but I want the red to be more implied than one big solid color
    ArmoredGoblinSS15.jpg

As for the feet, I'm going to do something with them... I just have no idea yet. But I think you're right in that they're greaves so I'll do that
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, this is such a cool character. Realy original.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks buddikaman! Yeah I wish I had thought of it, ha
    Okay, I just sculpted the feet. Look suitable?
    ArmoredGoblinFeetSS.jpg
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey good start, but I think some more photoreference would help. They look like sabatons. Here are some quick images.

image7a.gif
    sabatons-m.jpg
    sabatons.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    vcortis wrote: »
    They look like sabatons.

MAN! How do you know those things are called sabatons?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 wrote: »
    MAN! How do you know those things are called sabatons?

Haha, research and reference. A while back I looked at a lot of armor when I was creating a character/statue. Also from years of playing rpgs ;)
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    anyone that has played an rpg / mmorpg should know exactly what sabtons are :D
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    I call them the pointy metal slipper thingamabobs.

Agreed about the sabatons, they fit the bill nicely, and the colour could be hinted at too i suppose, in a worn out way maybe? It's your call at the end of the day! :)

Keep on keepin on!
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    crasong wrote: »
    I call them the pointy metal slipper thingamabobs.
    Ha that's precisely what I call them. Yeah thanks vcortis, I would have never guessed that, and I've played tons of MMORPGs, heh

Sorry if my updates are going to be a little belated, I just got Mass Effect 2 and want to try it out :poly128:
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    good on vcortis for highlighting the importance/usefulness of learning specialized terminology. as in anatomy, as in firearms, as in armor, as in fashion, you name it; producers and experts and high end users know specialized terminology that allows them to articulate more specifically on the subject (just as we can on 3d art).

it's not always necessary to learn all the terminology for anything you end up modeling, but if it's really central to what you're working on, sensitizing to the terminology will help you in turn to pay attention to all the small stuff you never noticed before. that kind of perceptual awareness is one of the key differences between novices and experts.

anyway, impromptu digressions aside, i like the oldschool fantasy illustration feel to the character's proportions. personally i'd like to see the top of the armor overhanging his face a bit more than seen in your last update. additionally, given the sketchy nature of the concept i think you'd be well within your rights to add a few more greebly bits or extra detail that would otherwise remain absent. keep it up.