Home Technical Talk

Edge loop pinching on poleless sphere for bowling ball

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
If I create a poleless sphere in max using spherify (on a subdivided cube) and then turbosmooth I get tight shading around the four quadrants that the sphere is composed of (caused by where the edge loops are closest together). Changing smoothing groups doesn't seem to prevent this. I'm basically making a bowling ball with modelled finger holes for a friend and it's actually a lot more complex than it seems.

Trying to get the right sized finger holes is proving tricky. I first tried by selecting the three polys in roughly the right area and then extruding them inwards and sticking an edge loop inside the hole so that when i turbosmooth it the holes don't sink inwards with the smoothing. This works ok but it limits where I put the holes to where the lines flow initially which is rather inflexible. I thought moving them manually around is going to cause smoothing and shape issues and booleans are something i try to avoid though maybe that is a better route to take?

Whilst fiddling around with loop tools to smooth or 'circle' or relax the loops i've gotten something acceptable and i could've done it in Zbrush instead i'm interested in a more precise way of doing it (and faster).