Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Protector high poly model

demilich
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
demilich polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I'm new to polycount and this is my first post.
Here is a highpoly character im working on and I wanted to see if anyone could give me feed back on how to create a lowpoly version. In example what parts to actually block out with the lowpoly and what parts to leave out for the normal maps. I linked my blogs so guys can see the images.
Thanks

http://alan3dblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/protector-high-poly.html

Replies

• Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I'll bet you're hitting F5, F5, F5 xD

I like this so far but the wrinkles behind the knees look a bit unrealistic. The wrinkles in the crotch are a bit weird too - look up some cloth reference for these. Also the fact that his kneepads don't match could be a balance issue if this character was to ever walk or run.

Oh, and welcome to Polycount :D
  • demilich
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    thanks a lot Karmageddon. The wrinkles behind the kneepads and elbow are just seperate straps from the pants, but I can change them to standard straps. I was avoiding clips and buckles for straps around that area. Any suggestions on creating the low poly?
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Well, you've got to build the low poly topology on top of it and there are lots of options. Mostly I just do it inside ZBush, but you can use any other software to do this. If you use 3dsmax you can try Max Retopo, for example. There's also Topogun. Just plan ahead and break your model into different pieces if needed, it's simpler than it looks. :D

Edit: Nice model by the way! Is that from (or inspired by) Army of Two?