Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Material Question

Binxx
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Binxx polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I've been working on my model and i was wondering if there was any way to use several materials on one sub tool. I've seen it done, however try as i must, it seems like it doesn't want to work for me. Instead of work on simply the areas that i don't have masked off, it makes the whole sub tool the same material. Its getting frustrating :poly127:

gloss.jpg
Kinda wanna make my characters tooth glossy

If you guys could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, in your brush settings there's the Mrgb, Rgb, M-buttons you can tick. If you tick the M button you'll be painting with the material. Mrgb does both colour and material at the same time.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    East is correct, however bear in mind that its per poly...which means you'll have a very sharp edge wherever you have a material transition. The lighting information for matcaps is baked into the material and might not match.
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm seems like i've been painting in RGB the whole time, I didn't know about those options so i kept painting on the RGB layer lol ><. Well Now that i'm using the M layer to fill everything in, i'm starting to see artifacts on the edges? think you guys could help me out again? Thanks!
    artifcats.jpg
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Do you have cavity masking activated?

Did you paint on a lower subdivision level and then stepped up to a higher one?

EDIT: BTW, nothing wrong with just painting the RGB channel and then doing the Material one later.
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Yea, I do have cavity masking up, however I don't really know how to use it, i tried to put color in its crevisis, but it doesn't seem to work for me, and what ended up happening is its crevices all have this ugly white gradient around the mask ><. Please help! ><
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Because of what Scooby mentioned, how material works on a polygon basis, you can end up getting artifacts like you describe because there won't be a smooth transition from one material to another, but a sharp edge.

If you have cavity masking on you wouldn't have been painting your material in the cavities, and thus you will end up with artifacts there, much like the ones you've posted.

Try removing all masking (in Tools> Masking), set your brush to only paint material (M), and paint on those troublesome areas and see if that helps.
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    OMGitworks.jpg
    Wow that really cleaned it up nicely!

Thank you very much East and Scooby! You guys were a Great help!
    Still got a lot more to learn about zbrush but one day I hope that I could give good advice like you guys!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Just keep practicing bud! Watch tutorials and try to enjoy yourself. I'll take my "advice fee" by sleeping on your couch if I get a job in Irvine. :P

I like your character. He's kinda cute/neat looking. I'd recommend though that you maybe create the teeth as separate subtools. I think it will not only look better, but ultimately give you more control as well. Also, try finishing your sculpt(if he isn't already) prior to starting your coloration work. If you've got color on your model, and continue sculpting this can sometimes have a negative effect on your ability to really see whats going on with your forms.