Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk Soldier WIP.

Here is a high poly model of a game character that is one of the cast for the game that is my final year project on the games design course. Low poly version will be importend into Unreal3 Engine.
sjKYYl.jpg
JR3zWl.jpg
BsD28l.jpg
Zm7Zjl.jpg
As I'm relatively new to the game art (no profesional experience) any comments and critique would be greately appreciated.

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    All those hanging wires are going to... well, they're not going to work. Not without a whole load of extraneous bones, baked dynamics, and a load of extra polys.

I would suggest restraining them in bundles that are kept tied close against the character. That's going to be the only feasible way to depict them without going seriously overboard
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    I totally agree with GarageBay9, those loose wire are either going to be a huge pain in the butt or are gonna look like garbage. I suggest the same, make them into bundles of wires(so that you can use bigger tubes as low-poly) and keep them close to the body so it's easier on the animators.

Also the wrists/hands look really flat and the head seems a tad short or compressed when you look at it from the side view. His eyes don't look like they would be in the right spot in his head if they could see out the holes in the mask.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super thin wires and things like this i think would be added into the engine later, like in the source engine they do ropes and tentacles with a vector, instead of an actual mesh, or in wow bow strings are just a line drawn by the engine between two points, no geometry.
  • shiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey.
    thanks for replies guys. I'm going to see is it possible to create wires in engine, if not I'm going to recreate them and run them as long to the main body geometry as possible.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey.. nice design and effort so far though... i liked the front shot... mask reminds me of army of two.

Is not so steampunk to me tho... more a fallout post apocalypse vibe

:thumbup:
  • shiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the background is based on the steampunk principles as in there is no petroleum or silicon based technology, everything is ran on steam, coal etc. Although it's a technology that was developed and imporved over 300 years after which 100 year old global conflict pretty much destroyed most of the earth and drained most resources, except few large cities. All knowledge about creation of new technology is forgotten, and groups of surviors are fighting over any remains of working weapons and items.

This character is a typical soldier archetype, although he has ability to suck blood from enemies he killed in order to extract adrenaline and other hormones to boost his own abilities or heal himself. At this point they are serious adrenaline junkies and they kill mostly to satisfy their thirst.

So yeah, I would say you are correct :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Like it, has potential. I think you should throw some kind of breathing apparatus on the front of the dude on his upper chest, help balance out all the weight on his back while adding more character to the front. Throw some big heavy gloves on him too, the hands are a little weak and it would help the silhouette a lot in terms of interest to have big meaty looking hands in my opinion, borrow a bit of the big daddy look.

Helms gotta go though dude, not really diggin' the skull meets steampunk vibe. Your anatomy's pretty decent, but needs a bit of work. I'd ditch the head altogether and try to come up with a cool new steampunk helmet of some kind that would rise right off the shoulders and engulf the neck. Worry about anatomy some other time and just roll with the steampunk for this piece is my suggestion, could be pretty sweet.