Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lunar Industries - Sarang Base [Game Environment - From Start To Finish]

After watching the film Moon, (Great movie btw, definitely check it out if you haven't done so already!) I have decided to take it upon myself to create a mini-environment from the film as a strong portfolio piece. I plan on using the UDK engine to implement the scene.

I've wanted to make a sci-fi environment for awhile now, but so many people are doing the sci-fi metal type environments, so I decided to do something with a bit of a different feel. I really enjoyed the clean crisp look of Mirror's Edge, and wanted to do something similar to that as well and figured that this would kind of be reminiscent because of the lack of grunge.

I also picked this piece because I know that in order to make it look really good, I will have to work on the lighting... a lot. And it has been something I've wanted to improve for a long while now. So when the time comes for me to light this scene I would definitely appreciate some help!

I will be posting plenty of WIP pics and will be looking for all kinds of critiques/suggestions on anything and everything, throughout the entire time it takes me to finish this piece.

Inspiration/Concept:
I have decided to use these 2 concepts as my goal for the 2 end beauty shots, but this may change in time.

Shot #1:
beautyshot1.jpg

Shot #2:
beautyshot2.jpg

I'm using these 2 because of the fact that they go well together. The tunnel from Shot #1 will lead to the door found in Shot #2.

I may not end up going with an exact 1:1 representation of the shots, but want it pretty close, and may end up adding a prop or too from elsewhere in the base to try and balance out the scene a bit more.

Plan of Attack:
- Low Poly block out to get size and scale of environment
- High Poly pass
- Tweak Low Poly and layout UV's
- Baking High to Low where necessary
- Texturing
- Importing and setting up in UDK
- Lighting
- Look over and fix up environment to get final beauty shots.

3D/2D Asset Breakdown:
- GERTY (the robot)
- Wall Pieces (approx. 5) + Segment Connector
- Floor Pieces (approx. 3)
- Door
- Tunnel Pads
- Digital Sign
- Ladder
- Misc. Boxes on Wall
- Black compost box
- Fluorescent Lights in Tunnel
- Signs, Stickers, and Grunge Decals

Wanting to learn and try:
- Creating a single 512 or 1024 wall texture for use on multiple wall meshes.
- Using a second UV map for the Ambient Occlusion on wall meshes as well as figuring out how to create this material in UDK.
- Trying out Lightmass and AO in UDK for first time.
- Using Decals for:
--- Creating multiple grunge textures to show that the interior has been used and is not brand spankin' new, as well as to break up all the whiteness.
--- The floor pieces. Have never used normal mapped decals before, but think it should work.
--- All of the signs and stickers throughout the environment.
- Proper Lighting techniques.

Moodboard:

moodboardq.jpg

End Goal:
- Actually finish a portfolio-worthy piece. Will need encouragement to keep chugging along i'm sure!
- Strong Environment Portfolio piece with 2 beauty renders.
- Strong Prop Portfolio Piece (GERTY).
- Gaining more knowledge!
- Receive plenty of constructive criticism and use it to help make the environment as best I can.

* Thank you to Gavin Rothery for all of his work on Moon, and for all of the reference pictures! Also, thanks to Clint Mansell who's music for the movie will be constantly playing while I work on this piece!

Replies

• nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome, this was a great movie. I cant wait to see your progress.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Again...another of many things I started myself and have yet to finish/really get anywhere with. I hope you fare better than I! Loved this movie and its aesthetic and feel this clean technical look is really underrepresented in games.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Cool idea, I was thinking about doing it in 3D when I watched it myself. I loved how the space stuff design was so oldschool, takes you back to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    All the props and stuff look really doable,if I can give you on big hint, it would be to keep everything clean (watch out with the grunge you're mentioning) and focus on having the lighting make things interesting. With Lightmass there's definitely a possibility to get this to look great.

edit: oh and do it modular, that way you can easily build an entire base (i would LOVE to walk around in that).
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek: It was a great movie indeed, just started the low poly pass and will post the WIP sometime tomorrow.

ScoobyDoofus: Yah I too have many things started but not finished, i'm hoping with some pushes here and there i'll be able to complete this one!

Xoliul: Thanks for the tip! I plan on having it quite clean, the grunge I was talking about would be extremely low opacity and be on the floor, some bottom edges and stuff like that, but i'm not turning this into a grunged up version that is for sure!
    I haven't fooled around with lightmass yet but will when I get to that stage. Any tuts or anything of the like linked to now will definitely be looked at!
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved the movie.

Thought about doing a similar environment but never came about.

Good luck! :D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sweet should be small enough to get some really nice lighting
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, this is SciFi stuf I like, indeed the white and clean look like this and mirror's edge is awesome. I'll watch this. Like others said, if you pull off the lighting and materials good, this will rockwell :P
    The texturing won't be too hard since this is all white and clean stuff. Work with cool reflections!
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here is an unfinished blockout that I made to get the basic feel of the layout and to make sure everything would work.

wipquickbockout.jpg

I thought I would post this up now because I will be gone for this weekend for Easter, and I won't be able to work on it til early next week.

But i'd say it's coming along nicely so far. Any suggestions to the blockout thus far?
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, it's been awhile, was finishing up some portfolio props but finally made it back to this scene. I am working hard and trying to pump out this scene in the next few days so all the help and critiques I can get, the better!

Here's the updated blockout and I've started working on some textures. Want to get a good chunk of that done before I bring it into UDK.

wipquickbockout2.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I love how its coming out man, great choice this movie had a great look to it. like a little more 'modern' (?) mass effect.
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Cool thing, looking forward to it!
  • Emperors Teeth
    Spoiler alert a little? I did not realise this was a project about 'Moon' till I entered it and promptly got hit by a first image that seems to more or less give the film away!

Dammit.
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoiler alert a little? I did not realise this was a project about 'Moon' till I entered it and promptly got hit by a first image that seems to more or less give the film away!

Dammit.
    Umm.. I don't think it's much of a spoiler really, the trailer gives more away then these shots, and I don't think that's supposed to be a twist or anything...

But anyways, off to do some more low poly building and texturing, will post another update probably later today.