Home Technical Talk

3dsmax to zbrush uvmapping

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I am proficent in 3dsmax but I am a newbie in zbrush , so I was exporting a rock from 3dsmax , where I uvmapped all sides and I expected to have the same uvmapping in zbrush , after exporting the texture mapping in the obj but unfortunately I see that the uvmapping in zbrush is totally different and its a unique texture map , like the different maps aren't taken , is there a special procedure to get the same uvmapping of 3dsmax? I was wondering how to .....

Becouse I am trying to make some seamlless textured rocks and so far I couldn't becouse I can'0t fix the seams wich I hoped to fix in the zbrush painting tool ....

http://it.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sg0dco&s=5
view.php?pic=sg0dco&s=5

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Without knowing all the details, it may be because Zbrush flips UVs vertically. Try flipping the map from the Texture menu in Zbrush.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    No zbrush just doesnt gets different groups of uvmapping , its all one big and if I do not check in uvmaster to create uv it doesn't even show up ...
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry but since you just started learning, you might (if you haven't already) take a look at mudbox.

It doesn't need all these. you just sculpt and paint.

it supports multiple UVs

if you want to exclude\include different uv channels you simply press the cursor key up to enable the one you are hovering over.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Yup +1 for mudbox. Lovely easy to use app.

You know there is a tutorial on Pixologic.com specifically outlining the workflow between Max and ZBrush. It think its the one about modeling a low poly club

edit
    Its the Getting Started with Zbrush Tutorial http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/
    in the index check normal maps for 3dsmax, this deals with an unwrapped shape from max to zb
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    NAIMA wrote: »
    Hello , I am proficent in 3dsmax but I am a newbie in zbrush , so I was exporting a rock from 3dsmax , where I uvmapped all sides and I expected to have the same uvmapping in zbrush , after exporting the texture mapping in the obj but unfortunately I see that the uvmapping in zbrush is totally different and its a unique texture map , like the different maps aren't taken , is there a special procedure to get the same uvmapping of 3dsmax? I was wondering how to .....

Becouse I am trying to make some seamlless textured rocks and so far I couldn't becouse I can'0t fix the seams wich I hoped to fix in the zbrush painting tool ....

http://it.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sg0dco&s=5
    view.php?pic=sg0dco&s=5

According to their tutorials, you have to off set your UVs.

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

-Click Getting started with Zbrush.
    -Scroll down and click Nomal Maps for 3ds max.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    When you exported the OBJ from Max, did you check the "Texture Coordinates" box? It sounds like it exported without the UVs. If the OBJ has them, ZBrush should use them, but it'll flip them vertically. You can flip them back under the UV Map rollout in the Tool menu.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    yes I checked to export the texture maps but the model in zbrush when I try to flatten the uvs with uvmaster plugin it says there is no uv data and that it needs to be uvmapped automatically with the uvtool , but I wanted to have different groups alreadya and only after play around with the uvmaster plugin ....