Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Horseman Death

Hello everyone!

I'm new to game art, characters and Zbrush, this is my first serious attempt to create something with it, technically learning how these things work. I was greatly inspired by the Darksiders concepts of Paul Richard and Joe Mad and decided to try creating horseman Death. Here you can see him:
http://autodestruct.com/ds_characters.htm

Comments and crits are welcome!

19646_l.jpg

Replies

• Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work. Love the way the cloth folds at the feet.

Crit:

* Implement more of these folds around the neck scarf. It looks like you have started to so this definately needs finishing.

* The transition between the upper and lower arms looks dodgy. I think it might be where you've tried to implement gloves.
    Make the ends of these more obvious and it might be worth getting rid of the definition of the muscle down the forearm.
    How tight are the gloves supposed to be? Muscle defining tight material or tough leather that is more rigid.

Good luck.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Maybe it's just the angle but I remember his face being longer/narrower, liking the detail on everything else so far though.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is my first serious attempt to create something with it

lawl...your joking right?

Looks interesting so far. I really digged Darksiders so I'll keep an eye on this one. Do you plan to make a low poly version and bake it down? Or just work in hi-res?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    This is certainly way better than MY first attempts. :)

It could probably use some more exaggeration in the shapes and angles to fit the Darksiders style- maybe a little too smooth and curvy right now. The nipples seem a little too close together.

I'm impressed though. It will be bad ass when finished.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    the face REALLY reminds me of the Darkness. Great model though, love the cloth.
  • tottarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments people!

Baj Singh - you're right about the arm, I'm going to change that.

gsokol - I'm not joking. :) I'm working as a modeler but I always created "hard surface" stuff, like set elements, cars, etc., at work and as a hobby as well, like these:

http://world3d.hu/getpicture.php?kepid=16263&action=getfile
    http://world3d.hu/getpicture.php?kepid=11398&action=getfile
    http://world3d.hu/getpicture.php?kepid=10237&action=getfile

So I never used Zbrush before and never made any characters, thats why I wrote I'm new to this stuff. And yes, I'm planning to make a low poly baked version.

haikai - Yeah should have a bit more style but at this stage I was paying attention to get the proportions right. But going to work on that later for sure!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy crap..that camaro rocks my socks.
  • tottarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some upgrade. Most of the sword is behind the body on the concept and I can't understand from it how those bones and stuff work on the blade so it's gonna be different but I try to keep the basic shape.

getpicture.php?kepid=17246&attach=y&action=getfile
  • fKd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fKd
    thats wicked bro!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Awsome work!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    his face/mask reminds me of Mick Thomsons mask =P
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    You kinda make me want to just end my life now lol nice work
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Great start man, you're showing a ton of potential!

Some crits for ya:
    The cloth belt thing (thought i love the sculpting on it) feels a little "namby pamby" to me. A big rockin' skull there would help bring this guy together a bit more. Sure it's been done a billion times, just make some kind of bone formation there that hasn't been done before.

Same with the cloth gloves, combined with the gown it almost looks like a demonic prom dress. Maybe make it leather and have some bones peircing it here and there like studs, give 'em more of a biker gloves feel or something, some bone lining the edges would also help beef 'em up and help bring 'em in line with the style of the rest of his armor.

Most importantly, put some scars on that dude! Combined with the "dress" he kinda feels like a pretty boy right now, reminds me of Vega from SF. I'd love to see some over the top scarring, just totally off the wall hit you in the gut kinda sutff. Maybe even have part of his torso completely removed, entrails hanging out... His belt could be intestines!.. Just some ideas (didn't look at the concept just coming up with stuff that i think would help push it from it's current form), keep rolling with it.

Anyway, looks like you're getting some great basic zbrush techniques and the fact you can even consider putting your first zbrush piece into a portfolio is pretty impressive. Could be epic man, keep at it!
  • tottarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start man, you're showing a ton of potential!

Some crits for ya:
    The cloth belt thing (thought i love the sculpting on it) feels a little "namby pamby" to me. A big rockin' skull there would help bring this guy together a bit more. Sure it's been done a billion times, just make some kind of bone formation there that hasn't been done before.

Same with the cloth gloves, combined with the gown it almost looks like a demonic prom dress. Maybe make it leather and have some bones peircing it here and there like studs, give 'em more of a biker gloves feel or something, some bone lining the edges would also help beef 'em up and help bring 'em in line with the style of the rest of his armor.

Most importantly, put some scars on that dude! Combined with the "dress" he kinda feels like a pretty boy right now, reminds me of Vega from SF. I'd love to see some over the top scarring, just totally off the wall hit you in the gut kinda sutff. Maybe even have part of his torso completely removed, entrails hanging out... His belt could be intestines!.. Just some ideas (didn't look at the concept just coming up with stuff that i think would help push it from it's current form), keep rolling with it.

Anyway, looks like you're getting some great basic zbrush techniques and the fact you can even consider putting your first zbrush piece into a portfolio is pretty impressive. Could be epic man, keep at it!

First of all thanks for the comments guys!

crazyfingers - About the belt and clothing: you're right, somethings missing from there, but the basic idea was that the "belt" is the upper part of his clothes, which is a robe or something similar (like usual clothing of Death if there is such thing :) ) but it's ripped off and he wrapped it around his body. I'm going to make shreds and torn cloth parts hanging there but only at the low poly part with alpha masked planes. Zbrush behaves kinda weird with planes as I experienced so that's going to be added later. The bone studs of the gloves is a great idea I think I'm going to do that thanks! I'm not sure about the scars yet I thought about it too, we'll see.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Really cool character!
  • tottarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

I finished the retopo phase, the lowpoly version is around 16k tri. I know it could be optimized a bit more but I grew tired of it and I am eager to start the texturing so I think it stays this way.

getpicture.php?kepid=17444&attach=y&action=getfile

getpicture.php?kepid=17445&attach=y&action=getfile
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    you're new to game art?? wtf lol
  • tottarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments peeps.

Update - first texture version. It's far from finished yet but I think the main colors will be like this, so next step is detailing. I'm making a new weapon for him I wasn't really satisfied with the sword.

regards

getpicture.php?kepid=17476&attach=y&action=getfile
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff!

i suggest adding some blue to the specular on the skin parts.
  • tottarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Spitfire it really helped!

getpicture.php?kepid=17521&attach=y&action=getfile

I created the new weapons for him and the textures are almost done, some fine tuning and small details are still needed.

regards
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    You really nailed the skin on this piece. The normals for the veins and scars came out really well and the folds in the cloak are very believable. Great work here!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    whoa, the model jumped up quite a bit in quality in just the last pic.
    good job!
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you wanted to redo the weapon, the one on his back in the concept is The Harvester, seen here:

Loladfsdf.jpg

but otherwise, looks pretty nice
  • tottarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

I think I spent enough time with this character and consider it finished, so here is the final picture of it. Thanks for all the comments and crits!

Medestruit I wish you posted that picture a bit earlier... :) But thanks anyways!

getpicture.php?kepid=17579&action=getfile
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, so badass!

Great character, love the skulls around the feet too. Very nice!
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Really really sweet. And this is your first ZB? OMG!
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that looks absolutely great! Nice work there, particularly with the pedestal of skulls.

Theres something that I can't place about the hair, but I haven't played the game.. which is a shame, as I now really want to! Stupid lack of money...
  • rescale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rescale polycounter lvl 7
    Great work... looks absolutely amazing.
  • tottarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the kind comments guys!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Looks really good, expecially as you say this is your first serious attempt.

As for crits, the only real thing that bugs me is the weird little snobbish bottom lip pout you put in there. It's really killing his face for me. In the concept it looks more like a slightly expressed skeletal chin rather than a lip or a ledge and i think you're losing some of the badass in the face cause of it.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    - first thing i thought was darksiders !
    - than i read
    - and than i nodded
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    i love it its awesome
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Nice job, great finish.
  • Gerasimimumu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we get some texture maps/wireframes?

Thanks, and GREAT WORK!!!

Gera