Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop # 4 - Reefer

Hey guys. Here is what I have so far on the sniper rifle. I have been working on it for about 3days total. This is also my first high poly model and I am really looking to try and finish this work shop. Also I will probably have a lot of questions and I am using Blender 2.49.2

Here are the images
Enjoi :)

highpoly.jpg

highpoly1.jpg

Sorry If the images are too big.

Replies

• Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have added the spot for where the bolt goes to reload the gun.

highpoly2.jpg

With It on the gun
    highpoly3.jpg
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Your rifle is looking a tad crooked there Reefer. Are you keeping an eye on your reference images?
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking that part where the bolt goes on the gun looked a bit weird. Haha

Well here's an update. I modelled the clip and part of the stock and also fixed up some things.

Solid View
    highpoly4.jpg

Wire Frame
    highpolywire.jpg

Heres A Render
    highpolyrender.jpg
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i see, is too many edge loops too soon so you end up with a lumpy sort of model. That said id be curious to see how it smooths, because maybe it would look fine. But my main suggestion would be to start with the bare minimum needed to make these shapes. and then add loops and make large adjustments to get it looking right. To many small adjustments, on local areas, can lead to poor contours and general flow, but you definitely understand what needs to be modeled, just need to be a bit more careful with maintaining surface continuity.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    hey reefer, i think you have done an initial fail...you should align and transform you reference picture before modeling ... in fact of that you have modeled not bad so far... i think if you adjust the ref picture you can clean up your model...
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz how would I do that? That's probably a stupid question on my part but I am kind of nooby at this kind of stuff.

hijack- do you think I should just start over? I get what your saying about the lumpiness and the to many edge loops.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you will always model it better the second time, or at least that is the idea. You using blender? looks like it. Im not sure if it has any sort of smooth mesh preview options like in maya, but in general for stuff like this you are building a base that once smoothed will look like the final model. What i mean is that i would jump back and forth previewing how it acts when smoothed adding edge loops to control contour and edge hardness. but that is just one way to go about it. But in general using as little as possible to define shapes then going in and adding detail to flesh it out will yield the cleanest results. Check out the hard surface thread, " how to model dem shapes" you will see tons of examples of what Im talking about.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Reefer, if you like, you can get better references here.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    align.jpg

hope you know what i mean...rotate the photo of the gun...so that its aligned to the red line...and so your model too...and then you should see what wrong and you can clean your model...your model looks good so far ... the setup of your reference pictures is an initially important step... :) use the grid for clean modelling...

i hope it´s clear ...is it?
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks you guys for the help. I should have an update either some time tonight to by the end of tomorrow for sure.
    Thanks.

*EDIT*

I restarted the gun. Thank you Sync for the gun reference and also to Spatz. It's helped me a lot.

Any ways, here's the gun. I am working on the back of it right now that's why the front half doesn't have much on it.
    newsniper.jpg

Lemmy know what you thinkz.
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final update for tonight.
    I am kind of having troubles making the circled area look right. Right now its kind of jagged and bumpy.

But here she is.

newsniper1.jpg
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update. I modelled out where the magaizen goes in. I think I am finished with the body of it.

snipermz.jpg
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    nice ...im glad you have understand what was the point ...you see, it's much more easier and cleaner that way...and the gun looks good ...keep updating...
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for an update.
    The barrel looks to big to me so I'm guessing I did something wrong.:\

Heres the barrel
    barrel.jpg

Barrel Mount
    barrelmount.jpg
  • AlexanderL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderL polycounter lvl 11
    Looking much better on the second try, these workshops look like they are great for learning. Have you tried adding a subsurf modifier yet? Then you'd be able to see where you need to add controlling loops.