Home Technical Talk

[3Ds Max 2010] Cutting from shapes

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Famouz polycounter lvl 8
Hey there,
I'm trying to cut a six-edged form(don't know the english word) from a cylinder. On one side it worked pretty nice, but the other just makes crap.
It just connects 2 points down to the bottom of the cylinder.
Any idea?
probx31s.jpg

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    These are eight eges...an Octagon (six would be a Hexagon...)

How are you cutting? Simply using Cut and Snap? Make sure you are in the correct view...apart from that I have no Idea, why it doesn't work...it does here...
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    You could do it with booleans with the options set so that it will only cut in edges instead of adding or subtracting.
  • Famouz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Famouz polycounter lvl 8
    Yop Octagon. No i really don't want to bool, that messes up the whole object.
    And yep I'm ecactly in side view, but it doesn't work.
    The other one worked...

Edit: Ahhhhh, rotating the model by 90° fixes the Problem, does this make sense. No, huh :D
  • King Kinetix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tool I use all the time to project shapes onto objects is ShapeMerge. It works beautifully. But just like Boolean, you have to do some cleanup work afterward. You can find this tool in the Compound Objects tab in Geometry menu. It's right next to the Boolean tools. Create an object, say, the cylinder. Create any shape you want to project, like a circle. Select the cylinder, and apply select ShapeMerge. Choose Pick Shape and then select your spline. This works best if the Spline's local axis points 'Z' toward the direction you want to project. I use this tool ALL the time.
  • Famouz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Famouz polycounter lvl 8
    Ok sounds nice, I'll try, thanks.