Home Technical Talk

What sort of equipment do game companies use?

Basically im just wondering what sort of equiptment companies use to make games, like how good or up to date they're PC's are or if you use any other type of EQ, like motion capture, sound studios, or if they are all out sourced, or maybe you go to a different building maybe even a different city or w.e to get that sort of stuff done , etc, because i gota write about it for an assignment for uni.

thanks in advance :)

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    varies wildly from studio to studio. I've worked some places where i've had a couple year old CPU, video card, etc, and some bigger studios are sure to have top of the line bleeding edge stuff that is update frequently.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I currently have a HP Pavilion Elite E9280t
    Intel i7 920
    8gb of RAM
    GeForce GTX 260

at Mythic I had some sort of Dell, it was pretty good for 2007. I didn't get any updates but it was good enough for hand painting textures and models 14k triangles and below.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    At my last job, which was a midsized studio of around 50 people working on a PS3 game, we had mostly dual core dells with 4 gigs of ram and a quadro 3400/4000. There were a handful of quad cores sprinkled around the office as people got upgraded as well.

We didn't have access to any of that outside stuff, any VO work and beta testing was provided by an outside studio that the publisher of the project owned, so they handled all of that stuff.