Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Middle Eastern Abandoned School

I have been quite busy lately at school working way.I have the Sci Fi environment on the go but I have also been working on two other pieces.
This piece isn't fully finished yet it's due tomorrow for marks so this is what I will submit but there is still quite abit to do and add.The light cone I have going isn't working out too well I wanna push that more in the center as well.

I'll post some in engine shots and some other things tomorrow (running on about an hour of sleep in two days) but for now I'll leave you with this piece from the engine usual touch ups sharpened abit in photoshop and some colour adjustments.

This piece was based off a piece of concept art from Black site Area 51 from Midway so definitely credit goes where credit is due its a nice piece of concept art

blahp.jpg

Replies

• Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good, only real crits I have is the lighting. It looks a tad to dark up close by the desks then a little to light in the background and where the hallway is behind the desks. The left wall just blends right into the next wall.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks like good quality stuff but I dont feel like theres anything to focus on is there going to be some more specularity or something in the middle of the room?
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks good overall, but as Ged mentioned, there is no focus.
    First thing that comes to mind is ray of light making the bright spot on the floor with some "special" prop.

Is that going to be larger level or just this angle?

It loks too uniform, at some point event ceiling and walls seem to use the same texture.
    Add more color vaiation/saturation. Dark-bright values' difference for floor and walls would help as well.

More small rubble and old posters on the walls will be also good.

If it is a PC level u can use way more than what u have right now in the scene ;)
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it alot.So I sat down and gathered some feedback from friends and classmates and I did this quick paint over to get an idea of some of the things that can be changed and added to make this seem more together.

So some of the changes like the middle area being too open and sparse I agree with so getting something in there will definitely help.Looking at the stairs area it kinda looks boring so I thought about changing the railings to wood and breaking it at one point to give it some shape in that area.

Lighting definitely needs to be stronger.

@ Matroskin - I agree the walls do share the same texture but with variation and I definitely need to break that up with some wall clutter and stuff.This is just a scene not a level.

Thanks for your comments again I'll keep plugging away at this in the coming 2 weeks before school comes to an end.Here is some ideas I had.Feel free to add and comment its always welcome

changesx.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    YES. If you can achieve everything you noted down you've got yourself a winner, I think it'll look badass in the end.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Other than the subtle crescent moon decal there isn't really anything here that tells me it is middle eastern, why not dig in a little more with google and get some more reference of regional styles. Don't be heavy handed about it, it should not read as 'hey everybody, this is a muslim school', there should just be indications that its not a generic location that could easily fit in with any region.
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I have been doing some more work on this project since last time about a good day to day and a half of work now that our major projects are in.So here is an update.Still got a little more work to do but I haven't posted anything in awhile so i figured why not.

To all who commented thank you I appreciate it took alot of things into consideration.

@ Kevin - Thanks man I see what you mean I still need to get a few things in there to fix up this problem and I agree with what you said it could easily be a building somewhere not specific to a region thank you for the crit

@ Matroskin - I agree with your wall comments I am currently working on getting some variation to break things up thanks for this crit

Clean up piece

middleeastern.jpg

Screenshot from editor

unedit.jpg

Wireframe (not sure if this means anything but why not)

wireg.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    pick a nice little emotive subject for the focus of the room, like a childs toy on a chair, or a discarded satchel, and boost the lighting there too, way too dull at the mo
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    While the added contrast makes it look better I have to be honest with you, at first glance I thought it was the only thing you did with it. I could swear you hadn't added a thing to the scene, cause there's still nothing interesting to look at. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's awesome at this point, I really like the textures, the camera angle and the setting, but all the awesomeness is begging for one final element to really come together. The cherry on top of it all, you know. You just have to figure out what it is but you've made it this far, I'm confident you'll get it eventually.

EDIT: I don't know how crazy you are about changing the camera angle, but maybe you could make it lower, like all the way down on the floor and have a child's toy like SHEPEIRO said on the foreground close to the camera. It might make it more desolate and destroyed and even relate it more to a school.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think the walls are mostly concrete, for sections that are painted, you can bring it out a lot by trying adding some peeled off paint on the surfaces. Older buildings tend to weather like so as they decay over time.

http://mayang.com/textures/Architectural/images/Walls/wall_heavily_peeling_paint_6190164.JPG

The flag on the side seems a little pristine compared to rest of the building me thinks.
  • ChanceCoats123
    The railing still looks too well taken care of. The breakage in the previous drawing would have been fantastic.
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never fear there is still time lol again its still a WIP I have really only put an extra day into it so I will continue to push this more with the suggestions I have been getting thanks all for the input