Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wild West Gunslinger

Replies

• felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Got the revolver pretty much finished. I still have to put it together with the character model to see if it fits the holster and etc., maybe exagerate the proportions a bit, but that's pretty much it, I won't go crazy with detail on this, I wanna have the grip or the barrel engraved but I'll probably just do that in Photoshop later on.

30m8vab.jpg
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the hands :P Gives it really nice character.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Saving this. Love the design, a ton of personality in it. Can't crit on anything really, other than some holes in the gun belt, but that's really nitpicking :P
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Saving this. Love the design, a ton of personality in it. Can't crit on anything really, other than some holes in the gun belt, but that's really nitpicking :P

DAMN! I feel so incredibly stupid for not punching holes on the belt, totally forgot! Thanks for noticing. hahahah :)
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mustache is awesome
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Joining in on the chorus, I haven't caught this thread before and this is a very assured, dynamic character model. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys, it really means a lot.

Now, since I'm pretty much finished with the sculpt I might as well get started on the low poly, but I have a question for you experts: should I retopologize the head and the hear/mustache separately? My instincts tell me I'd get a cleaner bake but would it make it hard to do skinning and animation later? I definitely plan on skinning it at least for posing but it'd be great if I could rig it properly and just use it to learn animatino later on, so I wanna make it as animatable as possible.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no expert but as far as I know everything doesn't need to be part of the same mesh to be skinned and animated. So I'm sure you could get away with having hair and head separate.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no expert but as far as I know everything doesn't need to be part of the same mesh to be skinned and animated. So I'm sure you could get away with having hair and head separate.

Oh, cool, I'm relieved. I thought it would make weightening verts harder or something. :)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been so long since I've worked on it but I managed to dedicate a few hours on it and got the low poly, unwrapping and baking done so I'm ready for texturing. Polygon count is a bit high cause I was afraid of losing the silhouette and went a bit overboard, I'll try to keep it down on my next model. Shown here using Xoliul's shader, just normals and ambient occlusion.

viewport1.jpg

viewport2_0000_Layer3.jpg

viewport2_0001_Layer2.jpg

viewport2_0002_Layer1.jpg

Now, anyone has suggestions for cholor schemes? I have no idea of what colors/patterns to use on his clothes.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Really dig your style man! Looking awesome!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    This looks really cool, but I suspect you could cut the tri count in half with no noticeable change to the silhouette.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The gun, belt, and buckle need to be big, thick, and hunky, imo. They are a symbol of a cowboy's manliness.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very solid work, loving it, I do agree with killingpeople tho.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I agree on that too, I'll experiment with it later on, I think I can still do that without blowing up the textures. I know I ain't unwrapping and/or baking this motherfucker again, I hate this part. haha

And I have to agree with Swizzle as well, I'll try messing with the topology without fucking up my UVs.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking at some models for reference and this Saboteur character for example looks waaay heavier than mine. I know it's probably a cutscene model and the actual player model must be a lot cleaner. According to that article about character tri counts Characters from uncharted and Mass Effect for example have more than 20k. I will definitely try to take it as low as I can but it wouldn't be far fetched as it is if the budget allowed it, right?

2_EA_Shawnmodel.jpg
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Man, keep at this. This is looking incredible, so much personality. For being a skinnier dude, he still looks intimidating. As for a color scheme, I'd fire up Tombstone and check out Val Kilmer, Michael Biehn, and Powers Booth's characters. If I remember right, those characters wardrobes had realistic blacks and browns with touches of color thrown in to balance it out.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont think 20 k is too high for current gen main characters, i think it is on the higher end but i know lots of games have counts around there for player models.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, keep at this. This is looking incredible, so much personality. For being a skinnier dude, he still looks intimidating. As for a color scheme, I'd fire up Tombstone and check out Val Kilmer, Michael Biehn, and Powers Booth's characters. If I remember right, those characters wardrobes had realistic blacks and browns with touches of color thrown in to balance it out.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Hadn't heard of this movie until now, I'm downloading it at the moment, from the pictures I've seen should provide some good reference for clothing, thanks a bunch. :)

I've tried doing a few mockups concerning value before worrying about color, should make taking the next steps easier. I'd love to know what you guys think, or even have new suggestions and paintovers.

color_0000_Layer3.jpg

color_0001_Layer4.jpg

color_0002_Layer5.jpg

color_0003_Layer6.jpg
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    i like the 2nd one personally
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    looks brilliant!! ever consider making his mustache white sam elliot style?
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    cool work.. I agree with liking the 2nd one best.. and with white hair being awesome:)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, I've just noticed the white hair on the 2nd one was totally accidental but now that you mentioned it it looks like something to keep in mind, as well as a white mustache as JO420 suggested.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally gathered some confidence and started the texture. Been at it for a while so I thought I might as well post an update since it's been forever. I can't even look at it anymore, I just want it finished.

Almost finished with the diffuse but I want some hars crits and comments to I can call it 100% before I move up to the specular so, bash away.

1.jpg2.jpg
    sheet.jpg
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    the textures are great! Nice job!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving it! As for crits, the only thing that seems off to me is the hair and the moustache texture, everything else on the model is rather sharp with some small details texture wise, the hair looks kind of blurry, to me anyway.
    Maybe if you increase the strands of hair drawn by a little it will fit better with the rest of the character. Also his hair colour looks a little purpleish, have you mocked up some different choices? Personally I think a slight darker brown would suit him better as it might fit more with the darker colour scheme.

Anyway, loving the character, can't wait to see the rest! Keep up the awesome work :D
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOVE it! god. awesome texturing and GREAT personality.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So awesome. The veins on the hands and neck seem too pronounced, maybe drop their opacity some. Can't find much of anything to nitpick, seriously looks good man.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    I agree with Skamberin - the hair and beard are off. The color - bluish or purple tinted white/gray - doesn't fit with the tone of the rest of the textures.

The spurs and toe tips on the boots also look too bright to me. They are down near the ground and should be dusty and worn like the rest of his apparel.

Love the style and personality of the character.
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    Hey this relates to an earlier thing you ask, i was kind of skimming the thread so i am not sure if it was answered for you. But it is about the scale and offset when importing your items. I found a helpful thing is when you export the mesh from zbrush, that you are going to build from, use subtool master and select scale offset and it sets the scale to 1 and the offset xyz to 0 but makes the later importing go smoother. At least for me. And again sorry if this was already covered.

edit* oh also looking pretty cool glad i stumbled across it
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    To be honest I really like the tooney hand painted feel of the skin. The jacket seems a bit photo sourced and out of place.
    Great stuff though man. Keeping an eye out for that final piece. :)
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking good, but the textures are a bit too saturated for me. Either that or the contrast is too high. The red is especially bleeding out the details.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGcount wrote: »
    This is looking good, but the textures are a bit too saturated for me. Either that or the contrast is too high. The red is especially bleeding out the details.

Thanks! Hm, I actually think it's a shader issue, the texture itself isn't that saturated, specially the skin where the red is more evident. I'm using Xoliul's shader and it has a "shaded hue" feature and I might have overdone it a bit. I still have the right balance to it cause it looks good in some areas and exagerated in others (the hands, for example).

To be honest I really like the tooney hand painted feel of the skin. The jacket seems a bit photo sourced and out of place.
    Great stuff though man. Keeping an eye out for that final piece. :)

Thanks! I'll have to agree with that, I was affraid photo sourcing would become a bit too evident, but I tried to toonify them as much as possible. I have no idea how to achieve a hand painted worn leather look though.

sub_roland wrote: »
    I found a helpful thing is when you export the mesh from zbrush, that you are going to build from, use subtool master and select scale offset and it sets the scale to 1 and the offset xyz to 0 but makes the later importing go smoother.

Thanks man, I did not know that. Gotta keep this in mind next time. :D

I agree with Skamberin - the hair and beard are off. The color - bluish or purple tinted white/gray - doesn't fit with the tone of the rest of the textures.

The spurs and toe tips on the boots also look too bright to me. They are down near the ground and should be dusty and worn like the rest of his apparel.

Love the style and personality of the character.

Thanks for the crits! I'll try tinkering with the hair hue a bit. Personally I'm liking it as is but I might like it a lot better when I change it. As for the spurs I haven't touched them yet, so it's just a base light grey color. o/

Rojo wrote: »
    So awesome. The veins on the hands and neck seem too pronounced, maybe drop their opacity some. Can't find much of anything to nitpick, seriously looks good man.

Hm, true. Personally I think I've gone a bit overboard on the whole hand, I accidently colapsed some layeres and it's gone a bit out of control so I might redo it altogether, it's looking rather different from the head skin.

BetelGeist wrote: »
    LOVE it! god. awesome texturing and GREAT personality.

Thanks man, means a lot! :D

Loving it! As for crits, the only thing that seems off to me is the hair and the moustache texture, everything else on the model is rather sharp with some small details texture wise, the hair looks kind of blurry, to me anyway.
    Maybe if you increase the strands of hair drawn by a little it will fit better with the rest of the character. Also his hair colour looks a little purpleish, have you mocked up some different choices? Personally I think a slight darker brown would suit him better as it might fit more with the darker colour scheme.

Anyway, loving the character, can't wait to see the rest! Keep up the awesome work :D

Thanks man! I'll give the hair another pass, theoretically it shouldn't look blurry as there's enough UV space, I think.

toxic_h2o wrote: »
    the textures are great! Nice job!

Thanks, dude! :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with the comments on the hair, veins and spurs. They are the first things I noticed.

Also, the thread on the button should really be brown. It stands out so much on his back that I think it looks really bad.

Other than that though great model and texture work.
  • profchaos354
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man! I can't believe you picked this piece back up! I've had this thread bookmarked for great sculpting reference for a really long time and didn't expect to ever see it finish lol.

As far as a critique, I would say the photo sourcing is way too evident on all of the clothing, once you get the close up views, but it's only really bad on the jacket. I would love to see the folds of the cloth on the lower areas of the jacket played up a bit more in the diffuse paint with some highlights and shading.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    personally i think the texture lets it down - too much grey in it.
    nice character/sculpt though
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I threw this guy into Sketchfab to test the tool and actually liked the results, thought I might as well share it here too! :D

[SKETCHFAB]ffdf2f4194954bef836b4aa0468062f7[/SKETCHFAB]