Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crit my Textures: To hell and back!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
vcortis polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, I'm doing some hand-painted textures that I need critted to hell and back. The style I'm going for is somethign along the lines of World of Warcraft/TF2. The first is a "stone wall" with a window. The stone has a plaster/mud like material over it that has broken away revealing a few of the stones that make up the wall. Here is where I am now, and I need a new pair of eyes looking at it. It will tile eventually, ignore the seams. Thanks everyone!

Right now I'm afraid to push the stones too much and make them look too 3D.

EDIT: This entire thread has been a WIP. Images posted here are where I am at right now from newest to oldest... the last two are where I started in the original post.
Rocks10.jpg

crit6.jpg

WoodPlanksss.jpg

MetalPillar5.jpg
These are the old ones:

crit1p.jpg
and a quick render:
crit2.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Why not model the window? You don't want your building too flat.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id say they are a little bit too soft, but your on the right track. I also agree should model a window, poly's are cheap. and while that crack moving across is seamless, it does make a noticeable pattern when tilling.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with trying to get some harder edges in there. It sort of looks like play-doh teamed up with mudbox. Needs alot of work to get that tiled. Avoid repetitive patterns like that large plaster seam going through the middle. And that little crack on the right doesn't help either.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Zac. Unless this is going in the extreme background of a scene, it would be worth modeling out the window.

The texture itself is pretty good. One thing I'm worried about is the repetition of the elements. There are a lot of unique elements that tip the viewer off that it is tiled. The cracks in the top, the large crack along the sill of the window, etc. I would add more details scattered throughout the texture to hopefully break up the tile a bit better.

Another thing, for the style you are going for, I would try to "chunk" up your painting. The lines are a little too thin, and I think you could push your shading a little more too.

Hope it helps!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The start here seems muddy, like there's a lot of smudging going on. Shapes needing more definition, and a few harder edges here and there to make things pop. Colors seem pretty good, a lot going on there.

What I would do is when starting a texture like this, create masks for the basic shapes, like the bricks for window, other bricks that show through and so on. This way, you can select the shapes when painting to quickly make an edge stronger. Here's an extremely old tutor on this subject
    http://chrisholden.net/tutor/masklayer.htm

Also, it could be simplicity of your brushes. Are you using any custom brushes? A lot of times I like to create new brushes when starting a project based on the materials I'll be painting.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I should mention that I can't model anything. They are just to be projected onto flat planes, so modeling a window or any bricks for that matter is out of the question.

I'll take out some of the more noticeable texture repetition (cracks) and start refining the shapes and defining them a bit more.

So far the entire painting is made with only custom brushes. Thanks for the feedback so far.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I'm guessing this is for the art test. Ugh, it's always a WoW style that has to be painted. Of course, this is just me hating on WoW.

I won't comment on the repition of the textures, others took care of that. However, I would like to mention that if your just making one 1024 map then...well you'll obviously have repeating elements on the plane. That'll be an interesting thing to try to work on a "fix" for.

One thing I've noticed on a lot of the "WoW" style scenes and even in TF2 is contrast. Make sure that you have enough contrast in your texture that you can see smaller levels of detail better, or that make your window seem more 3D. Plaster and mud will have little more color variance than what you have now, perhaps slightly more brown and grey. Actually, you could probably just push what you have now to be more defined color wise. Once your further in the work, you might want to look at the saturation too and adjust accordingly (as it stands now, I'd increase it slightly).

Good luck on that btw! I'll probably be in town for part or most of the weekend too so I'll stop by and give you a good o'l fashioned pep talk! Assuming your at the WL.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Updated it... ignore the tiling right now stll I'll go back and fix that tomorrow.

crit4.jpg
    crit3.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It looks a lot better. Those sharper details really help.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking great, but the top and bottom bricks near the edges seem to fade instead of having a sharp defined edge like the rest of the bricks.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Offset and make a layer just for the stuff on the edges. Makes life so much better!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    It's definitely improving, I like where you're going with this, but I just can't help but feel like those bricks seem out of place. I get the feeling like some are melting into the wall, some are just stuck on there, and some just cut off midway through. Maybe it's just me.
    The color variation also kind of throws me on a loop, it's very bruiselike. Are you looking at any real life photos for reference that you can share?

Edit: I just noticed my post needed to be changed to let you know, much like everyone else, I really like this. You're doing great! My suggestions are more "i wonder if this could be improved"
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    the res ur putting ur textures is too high. it makes it look blury. so, keep wkin in that res... but when ur finished half the resolution. then call it finished.

its a nice texture.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    nice texture and nice job sharpening it up. Any more pretty hand paintedness to post?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    very nice! my only observation is that they dont tile as good, but im sure you will fix them! i wanna see where u going to use them! :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    your latest update was amazing! Thanks for sharing. If there are any further updates, please do share.

Thanks =)
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    Those are looking really nice, I'm digging the over all color and hand painted-ness. The brick and wall blending looks a bit strange, like they were carved out of a stone wall and just left half finished. You might want to add some textural differences in the stone surface and the brick surface.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone thank you so much for the critiques and comments! I'll look more into adding some textural difference between the bricks and the "stucco" so that it blends a little better. I'll work the colors a bit more and then fix the tiling. I'm working at 2048x2048 right now and the final version will be scaled down to 1024x1024.

A big thanks to Chris who suggested the masking idea... I can't believe I didn't think of that before.

My next texture (which I'll work on today after this one) is going to be wood planks... I know exciting right! Then I got another one too.

I am working off a concept, but I can't show it sorry :( so some of the suggestions I can't do, because it would defer too much from the concept. But again I truley appreciate all your comments it motivates me to do better!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man, right now i'd say you need to work on making the bricks feel 3d. Right now they feel tacked on, like pieces of paper or cardboard pasted to a wall, and not bricks sticking out.

Here's a really quick paintover to show what i mean.
    brick_po.gif

Also i kind of prefer the more painterly look of the first image you posted, it might be interesting to see a mix of the two? (of course im not sure what the style youre aiming for is exactly :P)
    good luck man! :)
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update. Gonna start work on the next one, but continue to crit. I Fixed the tiling, the crack in the wall can be turned on or off in photoshop. Tried to make the bricks bit more 3d but still retain that "covered in stucco" feel. I also added subtle textures to the wall and bricks and upped the contrast and saturation slightly.

crit6.jpg
    crit3s.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    the tiling is obviously really obvious, but i absolutely love the feel it has. imagine some sort of castle with cartoony proportions textured like that. yumm
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, but I rather liked the initial version better; it seemed like it would allow the user to focus on more important things in the scene, whereas the later ones try to draw attention to what is probably a completely insignificant part of the level. TF2 uses some nice low-contrast environment textures too.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    the res ur putting ur textures is too high. it makes it look blury. so, keep wkin in that res... but when ur finished half the resolution. then call it finished.

its a nice texture.

I think that's just an "old school" way that has kind of disappeared. When you think about it, you're trying to increase detail by throwing away pixels.

I work at full res all the time, sometimes I'll copy the canvas (ctrl+shift+c) paste it on top, run an unsharpen filter, and then use a layer mask to paint out stuff I don't want to look so sharp.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely much improved. I like the extra colors on them to give it more detail. Can't wait to see texture number two
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey here is the start to texture #2 the excitin wooden planks! Got the basis of it done, have to start adding details like woodgrain, some additional highlights and cracks etc. So crit away, knowing that there is still quite a bit of work to do.

The tiling on the stone wall texture is still a bit of give and take... I want it to match the concept but still tile so I'll probably come back to that a bit later to fix it up some more. Also I'll probably tone down the contrast/saturation a tad and brighten it up just a bit too.

woodplanks.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That green is a touch on the much for me, but a good base.

Beware of wood filling space of other wood, and by that I mean the perfect puzzle piece wood slats you've got going here. Your breaks don't need to be that exotic, and neither do the fill.

Ask Justin for a paintover, and totally make him do it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, you need to take into account how one constructs a floor. You're going to start off with a bunch of largely pristine boards that are all going to be around about the same length and thickness with nice straight sawn ends. Any damage, splitting, collapsing or whatever is going to happen after the floor has been laid and people start stomping around on it for a hundred years with their big armoured boots.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel that the planks need a tad bit more spacing between them. Look especially where the horizontal separation of the planks takes place. I also agree wit cholden, it's too green. Very mossy wood if that holds true.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I hope this is more along the lines of what you guys were talking about. I shifted the hue to a little more redish/brown but still retaining quite a bit of the bluish/green that was in the concept (that I can't show lol).

I altered the spacing between a few boards but more importantly got rid of a lot of the jigsaw type puzzle piece boards and made them more even. I kept it a still a bit more cartoony and stylized though, so hopefully that is a happy medium. Still more work to do!

woodplank.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig posted this TF2 wood texture image back in this thread http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=71221&page=2 (There are actually a couple handpainted threads in technical talk you might want to look at.)

TF2Wood.jpg

Maybe it can help. You mentioned something about trying to be like a mix between WoW and TF2, and I haven't really gotten a TF2 feeling from your texture quite yet. I know you're not done, so this is more of a suggestion of a direction you can take it.

Im not sure how I feel about the addition of the red- but the green doesn't feel right for wood, its a shame we can't see the reference :P Can you tell us if it's painted or moldy?
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they are bit rubbish especially the wood, what are you doing?... give up now!... but hang on,maybe not... getting better actually, they not so bad... quite liked how the window turned out.... it;s actually rather awesome

But the wood need some more love
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wood colors are better. I think that if that type of color setup gives you a nice mix between the concept and looking like wood you should keep it. Give it a little more of an alive and plausible look with having some paint or something coming off like in those TF2 pix above. At this point I think it just needs the little things and details to get it to where you want it. I guess you could overlay an actual wood texture on top of that but I'm not terribly sure that's what you are needing to go for, especially if its WoW > TF2 for the reference.

Keep it up Vic, you're doing great!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey another quick update... I like keeping you guys involved because you give me good ideas and feedback. Haha Dan you beat me to the punch! Still some more work to do... but I think I'm pretty close to calling it finished.

WoodPlanksss.jpg
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture#3... It's a metal furnace/chimney thingy. Uh Yeaaaaaaa. Really wish I could show the concept so it makes more sense. The texture is going to be applied to a cylinder shaped object. Crit away.

MetalPillar5.jpg
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The metal texture looks really nice. I'm not sure exactly what to crit on it, it looks really good. I think that a normal map (either from xnormal or an actual poly modeled object) would do this well though.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The metal came together nice. Looks like you were able to use some of the technique we talked about. I'm only a bit curious as to what the eggs are in the bottom-right corner?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I wish I knew what they were... they're in the concept and thus they're on the texture.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing I've got is the bars on the grate look like they could use some sharpening in some places. Great job otherwise :)
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More textures! I've been forced into hand-painting textures and I have to admit I'm starting to love it... and hopefully I'm getting the hang of it as well. As always please crit this thing to hell and back... I think I'm going to add a few more cracks/splits, and some minor detailing on the inside of the stone.

Rocks21.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I'm liking the subtle, warm color variations you worked into your cobblestones there. Did you paint in pure value first and colorize afterwords, or did you start with areas of base color and shade on top of that?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey here is another update. I changed the direction of it a bit. I'm embracing the painting feel more and wanted to show some strokes and really push the style.

Rocks10.jpg

GarageBay9: Thanks, my workflow is not the best by any means since I'm still learning, but this is what I do. I start by laying out the basic design in black and white for a mask. Then I add in pure values, in this case 5 different stone colors varying slightly.

Then I lay down massive amounts of messy color (not paying attention to any specific shape, but literaly just laying down color) using a lot of different values/hues for my color scheme. Then I'll mess with the opacity and eraser until I get the desired base stone color.

Then I go back in and start defining the shape of each stone. Working the edges with shadows and highlights.

Finaly I return my attention to the inner stone color and detailing.

Mazvix had a really nice tutorial in his thread a while back, if you do a search you'd be able to find it pretty easily.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really digging the look and feel of that texture. It's so colorful too! It's like something I'd imagine in the Mania side of the Shivering Isles expansion pack...except more toony style. Anyway, I love the multiple colors you have going on. My only question is this: is that too much color for a cobblestone road/sidewalk/whatever?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    You should test these on surfaces with lighting. Some of the highlight tones in the last rock texture look like they wont light well in shadows or very bright lighting.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Untitled-3%20copy.JPG

Your main area to work on is rendering. Your values are all over the place and work against your original light-source. It looks like you over-did the bricks and lost the simple-yet-effective rendering of the earlier version. Keep your back-light darker than the local-value.

I would also suggest considering a less-descriptive light-source. Leave the edges to reveal shape and soft rendering to suggest form/planes. Try implementing your uber-highlights in the above image as local touches in corners, hard edges, etc., and not so globally.