Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RTS Trooper

Here is the demo version of a trooper created for an unannounced title.

Unfortunately I was extremely rushed, the texturing and uv map will be entirely redone in the next couple months.

crits welcome anyways!

O, and this is my first post on polycount, thanks for looking!

o, displayed in realtime in 3ds max viewport. It is 4100 Triangles.

Trooper_model_WIP54-4_Colortest11-lit.jpg

Replies

• shigee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was an extremely rushed piece, so I only did very minimal concept work, and then left creative design to the 3d process, which i am stronger with.

heres the concept i did up, and the wire, and the highpoly lastly. Crits welcome! I am redoing large portions of this soon, so I will take all advice into account at that time.

Trooper_Final_concept11-2.jpg
    Trooper_model_WIP54-4_Wire.jpg
    Trooper_model_WIP53.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    how do you justify spending 4100 triangles on a single RTS infantry unit? How does it look when presented at the scale and angle the game will show it at? Looks to me like lots of small detail which will be totally lost. Also, what resolution is your texture?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i almost thought this was for making sprites, yeah, what gives on the uber high polycount, does the engine have built in LOD stuff so its only that high when your zoomed in close?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    To show you what they mean. What kind of rts is it? How far in can you zoom? etc :)

Character_thing.jpg
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if the game resembles, say, Company of Heroes, they might get away with it. If it's got Supreme Commander style battles, you'd need a gaming rig from 10 years into the future.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    erm..... no.... if its not seen dont use it...

esp as hard edges (or poly folds) cause AA issues the less polys you use the better it will look, no mention of performance...

on another note, the thing with rts is it has to be easily distinguisable at low res, this if far too monotone for that. re-bake it down to a LOW poly say 1000 tris at most, with some nice fat colour variation and youve got something quite nice
  • shigee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all the input! Like I said, everything but the highpoly is being rebuilt from scratch after.

Either way I doubt I will use less than 3k tris, it is a heavily LOD dependent game, and players will frequently be close up, as it is here, and even closer, I will be hand crafting all subesequent LODs also.

Good advice on the texturing, No matter what I do the textures Im sure will be significantly improved, I had very little time to complete this, when it was necessary to do so, so the textures are actually entirely processed from the various maps I generated from the highpoly projections. I did only 20 minutes of hand touchups, the rest is entirely a mix of photoshop filter and layer work from the generated maps, and a quick color-over. Im happy with the half decent results that were achieved through this fast process at the time.

I will make sure to post the future iterations of this, next Time perhaps while its in progress so your advice can be directly input!

Until then, Thank you.
    ~Shigee~