Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

University Character Modelling

Ema
Ema
Hey guys,

I'm a second year University student currently doing a Body modelling module and was just looking for a bit of helpful feedback and criticism.

To start you off this is one of my concepts for the character. She's a demon vampire type creature with extended claw like fingers and toes, wings, pointy ears, fangs, tail etc etc.

Speedpaint1.jpg

And this is my basemesh so far:

BaseMesh-1.jpg

She will be quite toned musclularly, with big strong legs and hips and a slightly exaggerated torso area.

Uhm..thats about it. I look forward to see what you have to say!
Thanks.

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I think the model looks great, really nice basemesh, it's a bit hard to see the topology around the mouth, but it looks okay from here. Love that she's curvy.
  • Zelzaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice frazetta style!
    The head looks to small from the front view.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe this is the look you were going for, but your female anatomy is off. The hips are absolutely massive, and the legs are too thick. Especially in comparison to her arms. There are ways to make her look muscular without going overboard size-wise. Reduce the size of those legs/hips, and give her some arm muscle! Her rear is also sticking out a little too far in my opinion. She seems like a wimp with wings. You want to make her have a sleek athletic body if you are referring to the concept. The rest seems ok. Keep it up!
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I too, like the proportion of the concept drawing better than the model.
  • Ema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ema
    Updated some things according to the feedback! It's a great help thanks guys =)

So this is what I've got:
    Progress2.jpg
    I've changed:
    - Toned the legs down a lot so they are a bit more realistic. Her thighs, hips and bum are still supposed to be a little larger in proportion though.
    - Checked and changed the scale of the head a little, not sure if it still needs a bit of tweaking?
    - Larger image of the face to see the loops if anyone was interested.

Thanks again guys.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Run some mouth loops over the nose to create the nasolabial folds. This is vital for facial animation. I'm not sure about the mouth corners, they don't seem to twist inside the mouth enough, but it's hard to tell from that shot.

It looks the model will deform fairly well, but as always I recommend all beginning character modellers read this: http://www.pig-brain.com/tut02/tut02_01.htm
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    cool model. Im digging the concept!

Im curious, the school makes you label and make weird renders to show your wip? Your stuff will look a lot nicer if you just show it with black wires and a grey background. And not weird glow comming from it. The time that takes you to make those fancy little effects, is the time that you could be tweaking stuff on your model. Just a tip, thats all.

Keep up the good work!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the upper arms are much to inflated given the body structure of your concept. she should be strong yes, but also lean. also i think you could stand to narrow the ribcage behind the breasts, the width of her body around her nipple line would suggest more female body builder than the athletic build you have portrayed. also i believe the head and neck is a little narrow for the body but the ears could be throwing my eye off a bit. really like the simplicity and detail you have in the concept nice stuff.

the side view is gorgeous love the curves you have there, one crit on that angle is that the bend in the jaw of your character is at the point where her neck meets her head, it should be much further back and a bit lower as well.