Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Spider-Woman

Hello polycounters!
I'm Seth and this is my first post on your boards.

This is a character I am working on for my Character Modeling class.
She doesn't have hair or clothes yet, and the "eyelids" are temporary.

I'm looking for any sort of critique and/or feedback.

I really appreciate your time and thoughts.

Initial retopo for sculpting (I started with a ZSketch)
wire-retopo.jpg

ss01.jpg
ss02.jpg
ss03.jpg
ss04.jpg
SS05.jpg
ss-CU01.jpg
ss-CU03.jpg
SS-CU02.jpg

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, Seth. Welcome to Polycount.
    So far the biggest issue I see with your sculpt at the moment is your female anatomy. It's definitely a good start, but there are a few things you could do to get it looking right.

First off, get reference material! I cannot stress that enough. It will be the first thing I do before jumping into any character. I will think about what I'm wanting to create, then I will Google image search for as much reference material as possible.
    We'll focus on the female first. You've got a great base, but now it's time to clean up before you get too into your fine details.
    - The nose is too small and sticks out too far, just pull it back a little from the back of the nostrils and you're pretty much solid.
    - Add a little plumpness into the top lip. She seems to have really full lips, but the top lip is really flat from the side profile.
    - the neck needs some thinning out from the side profile as well, it's looking a little like a tree trunk at the moment and giving her a very masculine feel.
    - the hands are too thin and weirdly shaped, get some female hand ref (or even look at your own hands for a good base to get the skeletal structure right) to improve the shape before refining finger nails, wrinkles and muscles.
    - The body is all over the place and the muscle structure is a little off. Once again, female ref (it's all over the internet).
    - I would also beef up the crab/spider legs a little (especially at the joints). That's just my personal opinion as I like chunky shit and it generally reads better from a distance as well.

I've done a few paintovers to illustrate some of these points.
    seth-001.gif
    seth-002.gif
    seth-003.gif
    seth-004.gif

I hope these help.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I'll second everything Emil said! Now THAT was a critique. Very nice Emil! Also, this model is wicked scary! I would not want to encounter that in a dark cave with no lights. :)
  • Anamnacha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really appreciate your critique and feedback guys!
    Emil, thank you very much for the animated paintovers!

Here is what I handed in for class, the "low" poly character @14k tris with a normal map.

I plan on still working on this character over my break.

001.jpg
    002.jpg
    003.jpg
    004.jpg
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the scale you have this at. Most spider women hybrids are roughly 50/50. this one is by volume mostly spider. It's intimidating.

<opinion section>
    I don't get the breast plates. I was asking myself, why would a grotesque spider thing have the decency to bother covering up a pair of boobies after looking like that in the first place? I personally would transform her boobs into boobs with fleshy fang nipples that curve inward. Something to hold her prey in place while she makes out with their brain.
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    swampbug wrote: »
    I really like the scale you have this at. Most spider women hybrids are roughly 50/50. this one is by volume mostly spider. It's intimidating.

<opinion section>
    I don't get the breast plates. I was asking myself, why would a grotesque spider thing have the decency to bother covering up a pair of boobies after looking like that in the first place? I personally would transform her boobs into boobs with fleshy fang nipples that curve inward. Something to hold her prey in place while she makes out with their brain.

Haha, awesome post. I completely lol'd when I read it. XD
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    HORRIBLE SPIDER WOMEN HAVE SHAME TOO