Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Life for Auir?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
vertigo__ polycounter lvl 11
Hello all, Yes I am new here. I got a little excited after I found some cool concept art on Blizzards Starcraft 2 page and this is the result. I am trying to push this guy as far as possible so I am really interested in getting feedback from you guys on what can be improved. This first image and the turntable video are from Unreal. It has 9650 tris.

darkTemplar149.jpg
darkTemplar121.jpg
darkTemplar120.jpg

and the video

http://joshstoker.com/misc/darkTemplar120.mov

Thanks for looking!

Josh Stoker
www.joshstoker.com

Replies

• DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    I dig the sculpt and low poly.

Its clear however for the texture that you didn't put a lot of thought into the details and just slapped a lot of texture overlays on it. Take the time to hand paint some of those details and clean up the dirt overlays. You've made what was a nice sculpt into a noisy mess with some crappy normal overlays and dirt textures.
  • vertigo__
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS, Ok great. I see what you are saying about taking more care with the dirt overlays. I find texturing to be the most challenging aspect, and the area where I could probably use the most help (in terms of tips etc). Are you also suggesting that I should not combine normal maps like I have done here, and should generate 100% of the normal map from my zbrush sculpt? This is the first time I tried to combine the maps in this way. I sort of assumed that this is a reasonable thing to do, although I am not sure I am combining them properly. What I have done is before overlaying the detail maps I created with crazy bump was make the blue channel 100% black, and then used overlay in photoshop.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Vertigo he is saying that you're diffuse(aka color) and specular textures are not helping your model. You're trying to make your normals do all the work and they don't. You need to accentuate the normals with some nice textures which will probably take some hand painting.

Most of your muscle definition is lost because of this. Also there is a fairly evident seam where the hand connect to the forearm because the details scale is off.

This is a great start, you just need to spend some more time texturing.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, you don't want to combine maps that way. Some tips here:
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map#BNMT

The bandages on its arms are looking pretty flat. Might be the fault of your normal map combining process?

I think your color textures are very monochromatic, so it's a bit lifeless. If you get some more chromatic variation in there, it won't look so much like one of those colorized b/w postcards.
  • vertigo__
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thank you all for the tips. I am working on these issues now!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Good start, bud! Almost there!

tossover.jpg

More contrast (both in material types and in color value) less grey, more speciffic textural quality, less random texture overlaying. variation in each of the colors you are painting and try and get a bit more metalic quality out of those metals. PAintover was quick, but i'm pretty certain some super snappy changes to your diffuse will make this shine.

If you are going to use texture overlays, be sure to break up the draw through. I.E. The bandages you have on the legs? All the texture overlays cross the whole patter as if it were one continuous piece and not wrapped around the leg. The texture overlay on the clothing crosses over folds you've actually modeled and adds noise that breaks the shapes you already put a lot of time into.

ALSO! DROP SHADOWS! Render down occlusion for them or paint them in by hand. In engine things are looking floating which i would presume means shadows are not as saucy in engine as you would hope for.
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    What Joe said.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I must say, I am impressed with the quality of your sculpt. You have a great model here, don't stop with the textures! Keep going and make this thing great!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe its just me here but he seems a bit short for how stocky he is. Nice sculpt though, keep working on those textures.
  • gammaslam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think it looks great, nice low poly mesh, the thing that stuck out for me was the skin texture mostly on the torso area, it looks very flat to me when compared with the head. The skin on the head looks great, not sure if its because you have more texture density on the head.

Looks great, my 2c
  • vertigo__
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, I had a chance to work on this guy some more and I have attempted to work some more color into him. I also combined the normal maps with Crazybump this time around and I believe I got a better result even though I'm not sure it's obvious. I wanted to start this post by stating one of my main goals with this project which is to attempt to stay true to the concepts I found on the starcraft 2 page. so those first.
    ss16-hires.jpg
    ss88-hires.jpg
    That said, I agree it does seem a bit dull and colorless, which I hope I have rectified. So the main things I have worked on are the skin texture and the purple cloth. Also I threw in some progress captures I made while testing.
    darkTemplar152.jpg
    darkTemplar154.jpg

I seem to have run into a bit of trouble when I added a fresnel to the cloth. On one hand it does give that velvetly look, but the backside of the shader is now bright which looks bad.

There was a comment about relying on my normals to much, and that I need to make my diffuse and spec help the normals along. I am not sure I corrected this totally. So here is a shot of my spec alone.
    darkTemplar153.jpg

Next up I plan to tackle the dirt/stains and armor scratches/dings. I did make some tweaks to the metal but tips on making the metal really look like metal are welcome. I really appreciate all the comments so far. Thanks for looking!

Josh
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    wow vertigoo that looks awesome man.
    You really nailed that gold, I really like all of it .. well except one thing ..

The purple cloth over-saturation throws me off .. even if the original cloth was like that, the years (which is indicated with all the tear you have) would also wear the color off.
    I would definitely try to add an adjustment layer on top to lower the saturation.

Edit: to avoid problems with backside cloth, I usually duplicate geometry, seperate and flip it .. that way it can also get proper shadowing, etc ...

just my 2 cents, good stuff man
  • vertigo__
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pretty much agree on the saturation of the cloth. I am now leaning towards the image on the far right.
    darkTemplar155.jpg