Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- Carrier Ship

Hello everyone, this is my first post on polycount but I have a couple friends who frequent here often.

I've been trying to put some portfolio work together and decided to model one of my friends concept ships on the side. I plan on texturing this after I get the high-poly/low-poly bake out of the way.

Here's the concept image (By Heath Marks):
carriernew.jpg

And are the wire-frames and high-poly so far:
ship1.jpg
ship2.jpg
ship4.jpg

ALL CRITIQUE is welcome, I'm always looking to improve my work!

Replies

• Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Every time I look at the high poly I keep seeing a futuristic wall with drawers and cabinets from the 2087 IKEA range :P

It might be the lack of depth that is throwing me but the proportions and silhouette don't suggest a ship. The scale of the detailing around the centre shrinks the side panels and makes it read wrong. Modelling is strong however, good base. I would add some smaller detailing to try and expand the scope.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should stick with the Concept's bridge. It makes the ship look less boxy and more scifi-ish. Also, were you trying to stay close to the ref or just use it as a basic guideline? Because many things are different.

I suggest you first draw out what it would look like before modeling. For example, if you wanted the bridge like that, you should go over the concept in photoshop, and change how it looks. This way it looks like it was pre-planned, and not just something that was rushed or un-able to be modeled, because the concept was to hard to make. Thats my two cents on it though. =)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    You have a lot of large detail, but that alone doesn't make the ship look big. Add in some small detail too. This will help tell how big it really is when someone looks at it. For example.. gun turrerts, windows, bay doors, satellite dishes, antennas.

Whats on the other side of the ship? I like the looks of the bridge thus far - basic shape but fits the ship.

Keep at it :)
  • psychoticprankster
    I prefer the one in the concept art but will watch where this goes.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i preffer the shape on the concept but the size of the window is wrong IMO you would have a small protected window like yours, maybe a combo of the two

some porthole strips, little warning lights around the hangar doors and human sized doors will help add scale too
  • rsmith44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of the comments so far. The bridge is just kinda place holder right now. Heath and I agreed that the bridges proportions were way off so we decided to go with a look more of a aircraft carrier ship. large ship very small bridge.

I like the comments about the smaller details to make the ship look larger. That will be added soon. I hope to get some updated pictures tomorrow with more detail.