Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Junk hero, original concept and model

so here it is, my first real step into character modelling, so far im nailing down the concept and the model will follow within the week once i read some tutorials on zsphere modelling :) be as critical as you guys want since id love some useful feedback. Thanks!

joshsketch016.jpg

Replies

• torontoanimator
    hmmm, so it doesnt seem to be showing the images, even though its posted on my blog....im guessing i need to add it some other way? heres the blog link if you want to take a look http://prores.blogspot.com/2010/03/junk-hero.html?zx=24dae682deff7b12
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Nice, I like the private part. no wait ??
  • torontoanimator
    crap >_< ok ill make a new blog and just post it there, for some reason its not letting me log into my old blog...
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    right click on the image and hit copy location then link it with the image function here.
  • torontoanimator
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Yes it does. And it looks cool so far.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    use the img tag to show it here. look in the FAQ section
  • torontoanimator
    premium- thanks a lot dude :)
    onionhead-ill look it up right now!
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Right off the bat the character sort of looks like an infantryman/pilot from the PS3 game Warhawk. Watch your proportions especially on the arms.

If this character is supposed to be strong but slow (movement-wise), you're moving in the right direction.

If this character is supposed to be strong yet quick, you may want to rethink giving him excessively baggy pants. At the moment, if the pants were to reach their true length at the cuffs, they would go completely over his shoes and beyond, posing a problem when trying to run. Right now I envision him being able to run a few strides, but then have to stop and pull the cuffs of his pants up so they're back around his ankles. If you'd like to keep the pants really long, you may want to tie them up in some way or fold them.

I'm liking the mechanical arm. Good use of repetition. Look to see on other parts of the character where that same repetition could possibly be used.

The part of the shoulder pad closest to the character's head (that part of the pad that is almost parallel to his head) could probably be cut down just a bit.

It's got some way to go, but you're doing alright so far. Keep working with it.

Note: There have been many characters with one mechanical arm. Think of ways you can make this one-mechanical-armed character stand out among others. This is where working with a silhouette might come in handy.
  • torontoanimator
    Right off the bat the character sort of looks like an infantryman/pilot from the PS3 game Warhawk. Watch your proportions especially on the arms.

If this character is supposed to be strong but slow (movement-wise), you're moving in the right direction.

If this character is supposed to be strong yet quick, you may want to rethink giving him excessively baggy pants. At the moment, if the pants were to reach their true length at the cuffs, they would go completely over his shoes and beyond, posing a problem when trying to run. Right now I envision him being able to run a few strides, but then have to stop and pull the cuffs of his pants up so they're back around his ankles. If you'd like to keep the pants really long, you may want to tie them up in some way or fold them.

I'm liking the mechanical arm. Good use of repetition. Look to see on other parts of the character where that same repetition could possibly be used.

The part of the shoulder pad closest to the character's head (that part of the pad that is almost parallel to his head) could probably be cut down just a bit.

It's got some way to go, but you're doing alright so far. Keep working with it.

Note: There have been many characters with one mechanical arm. Think of ways you can make this one-mechanical-armed character stand out among others. This is where working with a silhouette might come in handy.

very helpful tips, i really appreciate it :) the comment on the silhoutte though, i thought i did a good job on that lol, how would u change it though?

the reason he only has one mech arm btw is his right arm and part of his chest was sawed off in an accident and as a way to save himself, he piled a bunch of scrap metal over the open wound to try and stem the flow of blood. As such, this character will most likely have bolts in the chest plate which pierce his skin to hold him all together. tthe "arm" is actually meant to be a whole mess of cables arranged more or less in the shape of an arm for functional purposes.

The comment on the pants is great, and ill admit i didnt think of him running much, i did plan on him being a slow and steady type.

Thanks again! ill be ddoing a 3/4 view tommorow that'll incorporate some of these ideas