Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Practicing clothing folds

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I whipped up a simple character so i could practice my clothing, but im sorta new to this, so could you guys help guide me through where to start the folds and help me with references. I've seen some of the work here and its amazing.

blankguy.png

Replies

• bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is actually a really good idea to have made a very well defined character before starting on the folds, as every shape will affect the draping of the cloth differently.

But the thing is, we cannot really help you until you have made any folds we can comment on. Also, the not so pleasant bit about learning how to make cloth, is that you pretty much just have to look at a shit-ton of fabric, and attempt to recreate it in order to understand what makes it tick.

So yeah, give it all you got and post your milestones.
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well there are many sites around with reference and pretty much gather as much as you can.You have your base model id say your best bet now is to start sculpting some in blocking it out to get a feel and keep refining.Look at images study how clothing drapes and folds and try to incorporate that into your work.Keep updating you will get feedback as you go.

Richard smith has this tutorial for sculpting clothing and its a great tutorial to watch lots of great information Id suggest this for sure personally.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/products/tutorials/rsm02/
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've watched richards tut numerous times already, it was alright.

Heres how i normally start my clothes, usually with the armpit tuck
    help1.png
    If you see, some of the cloth folds just 'end'. But when i try to smooth them they look to dead an flat.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was practicing using the brushes and just making simple folds, and oddly enough it looked half way decent.
    help2d.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read somewhere on these boards where someone made the folds too big and it makes it feel like a thick material. So i kept that in mind while making this.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    My favourite reference book for clothing,

Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery by Burne Hogarth.

Other good places to look would be in clothing catalogues. An indispensable source for modelling clothing.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you give your cloth some thickness you'll have an easier time working all the way up to the edge. You should just be able to highlight the enitre object and extract it with the thickness control turned up a little to achieve that.

One tool I like to use with cloth is the deco brush. You'll need to drop into projection master to use it. It also deafults to drawing instead of sculpting so you'll need to switch off RGB and switch on ZAdd or ZSub. Once you've got that sorted, you'll be able to lay down nice sweeping forms which are great for cloth.