Home Technical Talk

Additive shader in maya?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before but did we ever figure out how to make a shader render additive in maya like a game engine would. Thus far I've been doing it in post, hie render out your glow sprites and set that layer to additive in the composite. Anyone figured out how to do this directly in the render?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I just plug the map into the Incandescence attribute of a Blinn material and turn the transparency down to 0. Seems to do the trick.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mop, that doesn't appear to additive looks more like unlit or emissive. Ie stacking a bunch of those textures in front of each other doesn't get any brighter. This is a neat trick though I can definately use it to in this particular case as a work around.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Using Incandenscence is additive. I thought it was, and I just tested it again here to make sure.

My material is simply a Blinn, with black for the Color, full white for Transparency, the color map plugged into Incandescence, and everything else turned down to 0.

I layered some planes up with this material, and the texture is definitely adding where they overlap.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try it again when I get home tonight but I did the exact test you mentioned and did not get any additive affect on a bunch of planes. Can't post a screenshot right now.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried it again, you are totally right. Not sure how I fucked that up. Thanks Mop that's a nifty trick!