Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mobile RailGun Truck (WIP)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
This is kind of early to be posting this, but I am changing internet providers, so will only be able to post back, and not upload things, since mobile will not allow me to do that when time comes. So I decided I should post the model here, and get crits before I continue to work more on it.
Run down of things
Basicly I took this concept and decided that I would rather have the truck look like a tanker or something, and not have the AA gun. It didnt really make sense why a AA gun would be needing such a big sized truck:
Mobile_GailGun_Battary_Sting_by_Kar.jpg
Concept by KaranaK. All credits go to him for it.
Also, thanks to Rooster for showing me the Concepts. :)

So far the model, is still WIP, but here it is. I will include Wireframe for better crit. Thanks for any advice/crit in advance! :)
render-1.png
In 3ds max:
truckwip.png
truckwipWF.png

Replies

• Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    very cool looking vehicle ! good start !
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    good start and the concept is nice.
    I agree with u about weird huge size compared to small gun in front :P Looks kinda weak power in this case.

I am not sure how much u wanna be close to the concept, but the vehicle on the concept has a bit different character. The cabin is lower/smaller compared to wheels. The proportions on the sketch make it look more massive than what u curently have.
    Of course it is up to u how u will follow the sketch, but if u do it for the exercise sake, it is better to exercise in analyzing and keeping proportions as well ;) Because otherwise 2d and 3d vehicle will have different character, unless u want to have it diferent.

Keep it up.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    sry, double post :P
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    I am not sure how much u wanna be close to the concept, but the vehicle on the concept has a bit different character.
    Yea, I was trying to keep the character the concept had, since I started. Guess a few tweeks should put it back on track.

Added some details and tried to resize the tires. I think I failed though.

Untitled-5.png
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havent added any constraints, so thats why I'm not rendering it with all the little widgy things.

Clay Render of more progress:
    mobiletruck.png
    School is taking alot of my time, but still getting this done slowely. =)
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good so far, keep it up.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    nice work! still see no subdivision modeling tho. keep it up!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure you've interpreted the truck the way the concept artist designed it. This is fine as what you've got looks cool, it's just different.

I'd suggest the bits on the top of the truck behind the cabin are the railgun battary. It's an artillary truck, so it'll be parked somewhere well out of the way where it can launch it's payload onto the battlefield.
    mobilerailgun.jpg
    I'd suggest the AA gun is because it'll be stationary for long periods of time and will be a prime target for enemy bombers.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it. Still, your alternative design works well too.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure you've interpreted the truck the way the concept artist designed it. This is fine as what you've got looks cool, it's just different.

Yea, I am worried that this might be the turn I took with out knowing.

nice work! still see no subdivision modeling tho. keep it up!

I noticed that in Racer's tut, he doesn't put constraints on his model till he finish's it. (The Binocular one). I decided this might help me get this model done and not be lazy about it.
    Thanks for the comments btw. =)

I know this isn't much work... but I have school constantly in the way nailing me down. Thought I would post this model and something else I was working on for fun. C&C if you wish, its always appreciated. Hope there decent. =)

Render-2.png

Model for fun: (WIP)
    Untitled-2-2.png