Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mask of Horus (First High Poly)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mxlplxn polycounter lvl 8
Howdy guys,

This is my first high poly model :D !

It's still a wip and critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure if I should cut the engraving into the helmet's geometry or attempt to paint it into the normals map, got any awesome advice?

Thanks, and I'll update asap!

HorusMask2.jpgHorusMask1.jpghorusStargate.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I dunno if you are doing this, but I would model it in separate pieces and sculpt most of the detail.
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice ZacD I'll start cutting in the engravings!

As for the model being separate pieces, the eye was built as its own object, and I planned on making the other pieces separate as well, but the head of the mask and the first plate of the neck are one piece, and I'm really not sure how to go about dividing it.

Thanks again for the advice :D
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm, thats awesome. Stargate right?

you might want to take a look at what Stargate: Resistance did with there mask. Might help plan on how to model some of the pieces. There model is low poly though, dont think they showed there high poly anywhere.
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it is Stargate, and thank your for the suggestion :D ! I need to start building my low poly for projection, and looking at someone else is sure to help fix some of my problems.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stargate has some secretly very good designs in it i think.

Nice... i'd echo zacD and say that the engraving be easy as larry in zbrush with some alpha masks etc
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates!

Ok Guys and Gals, the wireframe is to show my engraving, the rest are just full model updates.

Im not really sure where to break it into separate pieces, but i did build the eye as its own part and the engraving for the second plate of the helm was made separate then attached.

I looked at some of the low poly stuff for the Stargate game, didn't find to much for what I was looking for but thank you for the suggestion, I think I've found a new game to try out.

I haven't started my low poly for this but I have a week to rebuild and the high and create the low, along with texturing, so hopefully more updates soon!

Thanks again for the help guys, and as always, advice is greatly appreciated.

*High Five*

wirerebuild.jpgHorusMask4.jpgHorusMask3.jpg