Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gibson - W.I.P

Hey everyone this is another model i am posting i know i haven't really made any good stuff in the past but am really working to get this to its best. Critics and tips are loved

P.S have no Graph card at the moment so wont be able to Work it up to high poly
wipimgwire.jpg
gibson2.jpg

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Les Paul? I feel like the head stock is too thick. Also why is the pickup floating? hehe :)

Good start.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    try n get some more detail on that thing. Show off just a flat shaded render of your model and another with wires over top without a skylight/ambient occlusion. It will read better I think.

and even tho you can't do any hi poly I still think you can make the thing look great. Off the top of my head heres the only guitar I've seen in game which looks pretty good and is pretty much normal map-less, aside from the edges which are benefiting from a hi poly

Electric-guitar.jpg
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg- THANKS! :D yeah i think you right the head is a bit to big and the pickup is floating because.... i don't know lol must have forgotten to place it back :P

EricV- Yeah am placing the detail as i am writing this, the texturing might take me a while cause am still fighting with Unwraping :P but will keep posting as i go along

Thanks
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys a little update almost done with the modeling. The tremolo was a pain but finally got it almost right still need to tweak it up a bit and add more detail then ready fr texturing :S then ready to rock and roll :P oh and any idea about the spring? i feel like it needs a little more tightening looks as if it don't have much pressure on what you think?

gibsonupdate2.jpg
    gibsonupdate.jpg
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    The corners on the bottom section of the humbuckers are far too sharp. They are much more rounded... similar to the top half. I'd say the screws in the bridge are just a tab bit too small as well in comparison to the whole piece. Scale them up just a 'tad.

Good job!
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bringing an update

wipimggibsonn.jpg
    wipimggibsonw.jpg
    tell me hat you guys think? almost done :D just need to clean and tweak it up a bit :P
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I think your knobs are a bit too tall. Good update
    epilp_22.jpg
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was worried about that yeah will shorten them out will post again once i get the strings in tune :)
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knobs are wrong... but am liking progress and updates on this... should be good... some other dude recently posted some nice looking guitars as well

the string fitting on the body etc it's all looking nice ... but put the sliders at slightly different positions maybe... am looking at my "cheaper" made in korea epiphone tho... ha ha :poly106:

other than that... keep it up
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Dude, where in Zimbabwe are you from?
    Nice choice of subject matter. I love the Les Paul. Use loads of reffs.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    les pauls have a both convex and concave shapes to the top of the body, it's not flat.

the headstock also leans backward, and yours is a little too thick. also, the neck on guitars tapers in width and depth the closer to the nut (the plastic/fishbone part sepperating the fretboard and the headstock), and yours doesn't.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Well technically I've Les Paul shaped models with a flat top (not sure if they were Gibson though) but either way they don't look half as sexy, so I second the recommendation on the curved top. And the knobs as well, I honestly have never seen knobs as tall as these.

Nice work on the other parts though, I've modelled a Les Paul before and the bridge was a pain in the ass to make. The hardest part though was modelling the strings and making it fit, you'll probably notice that parts that seem aligned are actually misaligned and not functional at all (or you won't, which would be awesome, but unlikely). Making it go straight from the headstock to the bridge while making the thing look playable is a real challenge. T'was for me anyway...
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update

Felipe - Look at the chords and tell me what you think are they straight enough? haven't made all of them only 2 and the real pain was modeling the pickups i couldn't get them rounded on the edges without having the screw holes interfere but finaly got it

well tell me what you think so far

wipgibsonn.jpg
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and Xaltar i live in Bulawayo but am Italian just arrived here from Mexico :)
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well guys here is the final product will do last post when im done Texturing :S
    it not that high but it got some

Tris:533,282

gibsonfinish.jpg
    And one more please crit :D thanks guys for the complements and all :D first model made that people actually like hehehe
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Strap holders look pretty wierd, and the headstock on Gibson's are sharper than the one you have here. Also the lighting is reacting wierd at the bottom of the body (the upper left part, above the first pickup), it makes it look like there is a hard edge there when it should be smooth. If you need more reference I have a 95 les paul studio I can post pics of, let me know. Good job so far.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Man, this makes me miss my Gibson Les Paul Custom (It actually looked like an SG though).

I think the Les Pauls have a harder bend coming off the neck and down into the bottom half, then that lip should come to a harder point.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    oh and Xaltar i live in Bulawayo but am Italian just arrived here from Mexico :)

Nice, I was born and raised in Harare but I live in Bulgaria now. I just got back from a holliday there, its still a shitty place to live (compared to how it used to be) but its improving slowly...

Enjoy the weather, best in the world IMO.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps wrote: »
    Strap holders look pretty wierd, and the headstock on Gibson's are sharper than the one you have here. Also the lighting is reacting wierd at the bottom of the body (the upper left part, above the first pickup), it makes it look like there is a hard edge there when it should be smooth. If you need more reference I have a 95 les paul studio I can post pics of, let me know. Good job so far.

I seccond these recommendations. Here's a picture of the headstock on my model, while it's not perfect I think it captures the shape a bit better.

oi8yzr.jpg

The strings look straight from the top view, but I think aligning them according to the side view is the trickiest part. In my model I kinda got it right, at least it runs parallel along the whole neck...

r09vsx.jpg

...BUT, when it gets to the bridge I think it's set to high and it makes a hugh turn, there shouldn't be such a big angle here:

np2tdv.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty good so far

:thumbup:
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys. yes please a few images of the sides would come in handy Thanks.
    Xaltar dude when ever you come back to Harare try and come over to Bulawayo so you can teach me a few things about modeling il give my num if you ever come visit 0913616070 and yeah the president is almost done he almost 90 years old he cant stay there anymore. light and internet are still a problem :(

Will fix up those little details then will repot back

See lonewolf am gettin there now just dont copy me again cause i know u hehe
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys need a bit of help :( am getting this error and i dont know how to fix it

wireofproblem.jpg
    problemah.jpg
    problem2hx.jpg
    wireofproblem2.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    have you thought of modeling the neck the same way a guitar is actually built? ie:

the neck, the truss rod, the fretboard, the nut, the headstock. all sepperate pieces, and just place them where they should be. you'll probably get a much cleaner result.

while this isn't les paul specific, it may help you.
    http://vinceg.net/GuitarProject/AppendixC.htm
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn gir, that's AWESOME reference right there! As for the error, I can't really see what's going on, I think the only picture that shows the low poly mesh before the subdivision is the first one and that is'nt very clear. Looks like it's easy to deal with though.

Also, here are more side shots of my model. I hope this helps but note there are errors here and there. For example there's a huge gap between the inner side of the fretboard and the body, I think I need to make the whole boddy a little fatter to cover it up.

993pts.jpg

105usk8.jpg

14kwnpx.jpg
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys been some time but i have something little to show. Please tell me what you think any ideas, crits are loved :) and another thing i really really suck at texturing and Unwrapping, but please give me some little ideas to make this baby cooler and to look real. its a present for my music teacher and a opportunity to make publicity for muself. I have some ideas but i just cant get the texturing to work with the wraping anyways here is the stuff

done2sl.jpg
    done1.jpg
    gibsonhead.jpg