Home Digital Sketchbooks

Portfolio Round Up- Dan Plunkett

Still a lot more to post as I will throughout the week. Getting ready to gradatuate so any piece I'm planning I'm finishing I'll post here. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

These are from a scene from Cho-Lon, Saigon, still more detail to add, but here's what I have so far.

cholon_01.jpg

cholon_02.jpg

cholon_03.jpg

Replies

• vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Looks cute:) reminds me of vice city, I suggest you tweak a little bit of the shape of the buildings. The buildings look too perfect. Did you come up by urself or followed from a concept or ref?
  • minimari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to make it look more lived in. In your buildings, make it look like people live there, that there is a story to people that live within that building. Place towels, clothes, chairs on the balcony etc. put garbage out on the street corner. Its the details that count and that will make your scene look even better. I would dirty them up a bit, they look too perfect. You have a great start.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff wrote: »
    Looks cute:) reminds me of vice city, I suggest you tweak a little bit of the shape of the buildings. The buildings look too perfect. Did you come up by urself or followed from a concept or ref?

actually used reference from pics of cho-lon, Saigon which is pretty much saigons china district.

I was conflicted about that with the shape of the buildings since they pieces, even the walls are modular and didn't want the wear to look repetitive, unless there's a way to do that.
    minimari wrote: »
    You need to make it look more lived in. In your buildings, make it look like people live there, that there is a story to people that live within that building. Place towels, clothes, chairs on the balcony etc. put garbage out on the street corner. Its the details that count and that will make your scene look even better. I would dirty them up a bit, they look too perfect. You have a great start.

That's defintely what I plan to do when I get more time with it. Since the scene I was looking had had hanging wires, mopeds, store front signs and a lot of the grit you described but you're you're right, right now it feels like pictures of models and not an actual city.

thank you so much for the feedback.