Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P "Bandito".

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Ahoy,

I've decided to start working on a new character and was set on creating a big fat Mexican Bandito. However after watching Predator.....I went down the mercenary route instead.

Ive tried to create a contrast between the muscles and fat as I wanted him to be quite meaty and overwhelming but also disproportionately fat. After seeing Gav's entry for Dom War IV, I also wanted him to make his legs seem small compared to the upper half of his body.

His hair is a place holder at the minute as I will be creating a low poly version but I thought i'd get some feedback before I continue with the model.

Thanks in advance
bhi1bs.jpg

Replies

• Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    haha! this is awesome, gonna enjoy watching this develop.
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    The shirt sleeves seem tight so you might want to have a bit more of the muscle form show though it. The straps effect on the vest looks awesome especially on the back, but it doesnt feel like its effecting the area above the pec as much. Pretty minor things that i could be wrong on anyways, looks awesome though keep it up
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While I'm digging the belly, the boot wrinkles look too deep.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    this is really cool Baj, shabash!

he looks so powerful he is about to burst!
    also he looks like he had so much beer that he is about to burst :D
    well done he is a very nice character!

keeping the legs small for this type of characters is a good idea.
    It makes them feel more solid like walls!
    and the arms look heavy and powerful like blocks of cement!

i like the hair too although placeholder look very "greasy" and they kind of fit :)

cheers!
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking sick man cant wait to see this finished
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    this is awesome!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! But them be some long ass arms! The forearm is the rite length but distance between the shoulder and the elbow is way too long.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Im really loving this so far man haha, although i gotta say the transition from his deltoid to the bicep makes his arm look either broken, or his shoulder starts way too low, even for exaggeration. I also like the idea with his fat belly sticking out, but the clothes around that area seem to have been tailor made, could use with more folds to show the tension about that area.

Also, he wouldn't happen to be inspired by Danny Trejo by any chance? ^^
    http://images.google.com.sg/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Danny+Trejo&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&start=0
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    awesome, but im a *little* disappointed at his late-20th-centuryness
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA! love the proportions! give him a designer poncho and a big cigar.
    scar face merc meets poncho via
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of good feedback. I thought id better post the body without any clothes to see whether there was any underlying problems that were being masked by the clothes

10ekima.jpg

Thegodzero and Crasong: Since I exaggerated the length between his chin and his breasts, I tried to compensate by increasing the length of the deltoid so that whilst his arms would appear massive they would still end up being a reasonable length but still keeping that ape like quality. However, after looking at this, I think the deltoid might look a little too exaggerated and might need to be brought in a bit (they look too much like shoulder pads).

I think Sub_Roland and DKK's comments kinda fit into the same area so im definitely going to give this parts a second look.

StealthSilver: I think I may have exaggerated them a little too mich, ill go over them again.

Oh, and it is loosely based on Danny Trejo :D.

I should have another update within the next few days as im trying to get the HP done by the weekend.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    The stomach is awesome :) Love the muscle structure on the back as well.... if anything maybe it is a bit symmetrical, but the clothing gets rid of that problem. Great job so far.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stomach Look good from front, lower back look like it muscle guy
    Looking forward for next update.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Well to be honest they look like they melted/drooped... If you move them back up so that the middle of the bicep is level with the base of the pecks it should help a lot with the droopiness.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. No huge changes as ive been a bit busy for the last few days. I'm going to start working on his weapons and then come back to this guy with a fresh set of eyes.

20i9b3k.jpg

2co506f.jpg

UPDATE: Base mesh for the gun.

2501fgn.jpg
  • Zelzaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!
    Though it seems that the muscles are not evenly developed. But this is no big deal, the parts are covered by cloth anyway.

Great style!
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    wow. this is killer. cant wait to see em all finished. great stuff thus far.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    hahaha this is hilarious, get some textures on this dude
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while, but i've managed to do a low poly and textures on this guy. The body is at 2048*2048 d/n/s whilst the gun is at 512*512 d/n/s.

I wasn't overly concerned with the polycount so I pushed it to 17'729 triangles (including all accessories, guns and teeth/tongue).

The render was done using multiple Marmoset renders and then compositing them.

I'm hoping to have this guy fully animated at some point (but not by me as my animation and rigging skills are lacklustre).

I'm still open to feedback however whether i'll have time to get anymore done is another matter.

28aix69.jpg

erzu9y.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    looks great dude :) I would say the hair should be normal map overlayed on the arms and belly as it reads more like dirt at the moment. The grenades could maybe do with some love due to the squiggly lines, maybe triangulate them and rebake out your maps for a quick fix and play with the shape of the boots a bit as they need more volume and they slope at the front a bit too much.

looks great though buddy, I like the vest and cloth work, got some real weight going on :D
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome, but I think there might be something wrong with the grenade UVs as the lines are all wiggly. Only thing I could spot though, congrats.
  • StevenEgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    Nice. I was going to say, when I saw the initial sculpts, that it looks a bit odd having such a heavy guy, with a thick bellly, having such defined/visible muscles on the arms, back, etc. But I think it came out very well on the final piece, I guess the normals process blended out some of the definition, sounds like a bad thing, but I think it worked well.

anyway, nice work!
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Your Model is great. The hair is the only thing that is off to me. I'd take a page from uncharted 2 and model out hair planes by hand.
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=079141

The "Flynn head sculpt render"
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback guys.

I don't know what was wrong with the grenades as they worked fine in Max, however after triangulating them they seemed to work fine in Marmoset too. Strange. (Thanks crazyfool).

I've tried to add a bit more depth to the hair, however I don't want to push it any further as it might start too look weird. I've modified the boots slightly as well.

With regards to the hair, i've posted in the technical thread with suggestions for this. For some reason Marmoset has issues with overlaying alpha'ed planes (causing underlying planes to not render at all). With regards to painting hair, what would be the best way around it to achieve the effect shown on those Uncharted 2 images? Painting hair on the base of the head and then somehow blending the alpha'ed planes into it? I'm not going to do any more with this model (I think its time to move on) however for the next model (most likely a female) it would be very useful for some hints.

34t6gs7.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man :)

You have no idea how glad i am on the improvement youve made from your previous model. The thing i love the most is how you captured the silhouette of the high onto your low so nicely...which was my biggest negative as far as your previous model was concerned.... So big props on that.
    I think you could add in an AO so everything looks settled e.g shadows under the sleeves and the gloves....

I love looking at the model, i bet you had alot of fun ;)
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    oh man this is ace! :)
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Cool! I like that his belly sticks out! :D