Home Technical Talk

Half Life 2: Would anyone be willing to...?

Good afternoon :)

Since I'm getting into character modeling, and I'm really working on topology etc., I was hoping to study the topology of some of the characters of Half Life 2 (Breen, Barney, Dr. Kleiner, Gman, etc.). The best way to do this is to just go into the console and type "mat_wireframe 1" to render the characters as wireframe and "mat_wireframe 0" to return the models to full renders. To access the command console you press the tilde key.

Now I would of course do this myself, but I have Half Life 2 for the 360--not the PC.[FONT=&quot][/FONT] :poly125: So, I was hoping someone else would be willing to do this. Not just to help me, but because they also might be interested in seeing the topology of the HL2 characters.

If anyone would be willing to do this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mr. B

Replies

• Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I bet 90% of the folks here have a copy of HL2 in their steam they can gift you.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I don't currently have it installed as I'm low on space, but I did find these two images:

valveproportionsb.jpg
    valveproportions.jpg
  • Mr. Bean
    Hey Cryrid,

Those are nice pictures, thanks. I was actually mostly interested in the facial topology; the heads of the characters. But those renders are still useful.

Thanks!
  • Mark Dygert
    Like Slum said if you have a steam account (free) I have a copy of HL2 you can have, I just need to know the steam account it should go to.

You can then extract the models and decompile them, there are some handy maxscripts (included in 2010) that detriangulate models really well too.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    You can get HL2DM for free with the ATI and NVIDIA offers.
  • Mr. Bean
    Wait a second, are you the same Racer who made those awesome AK video tutorials?
    Racer445 wrote: »
    You can get HL2DM for free with the ATI and NVIDIA offers.

That's a good idea, but I thought HL2 Death Match doesn't have any of the main characters?

Vig, thanks for the generous offer. I need to look into Steam first though...
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    The very same.

HL2DM comes with all the main characters as playable characters last I checked.
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    Vig wrote: »

...You can then extract the models and decompile them, there are some handy maxscripts (included in 2010) that detriangulate models really well too.

hi...can you please tell the names...would be interesting...

and also thanks@racer for your great tutorials ...:)
  • Mark Dygert
    Mr. Bean wrote: »
    Vig, thanks for the generous offer. I need to look into Steam first though...
    Sure no problem. I already had HL2 when I bought the Orange Box, to get HL2:EP1-2, HL2:Lost Coast, TF2 & Portal. It was a pretty sweet deal and a lot of people grabbed it because it got you into the TF2 beta a few weeks before it released. Any games you buy that you already have show up as gift-able.

PM me if you're ever interested, I do a fair amount of HL2/TF2 editing so I can walk you through the steps of decompiling and detriangulating the models.
    Spatz wrote: »
    hi...can you please tell the names...would be interesting...
    In 3dsmax2010 the detriangulator is found in Polygon Mode > Graphite Tools > Geometry > Quadrify

The same script is also included in polyboost for 3dsmax 2009 and lower.
    http://www.polyboost.com/ (Not free, but was included in 2010 and above).

Detriangulator works great. The mesh must be in Editable Poly mode so collapse the stack. Works with 2010.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/detriangulator

Quadrangulate (formerly known as polybomb) Works pretty good, I haven't used it since max9 when I started using polyboost.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/quadrangulate

For Maya, I'm not sure Creative Crash might have something?
  • Mr. Bean
    Hey, it's great to meet you, Racer. I have to say that I learned a lot from your tutorials; especially with texturing. I didn't know about floating geometry and a lot of other things too before I watched them. Thanks a lot for making them!
    Vig wrote: »
    Sure no problem. I already had HL2 when I bought the Orange Box, to get HL2:EP1-2, HL2:Lost Coast, TF2 & Portal. It was a pretty sweet deal and a lot of people grabbed it because it got you into the TF2 beta a few weeks before it released. Any games you buy that you already have show up as gift-able.

PM me if you're ever interested, I do a fair amount of HL2/TF2 editing so I can walk you through the steps of decompiling and detriangulating the models

Great, I really appreciate it; thanks a lot :D
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    no extraction needed to check out the models. just open the sdk model viewer from the tools section. left 4 dead/2 models are definitely worth checking out.

5VxmJ-055a5ddb937856ca0819ab0ffadfe619.jpg

also check out this thread from wireframe images and how to on extracting.