Home Technical Talk

Image Organizer Question

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
Does anyone know of an image organizer (xnView, Picasa, ACDsee...) that will let me organize my photos by tags and also let me save where I was zoomed in on the image as a tag as well?

So if I had a really big image of a bird and I wanted to tag the beak, I would just zoom in on it and set a tag there, and then one for the feet and so on. Then if I wanted to go back to that tag it would open the image and zoom right in on that spot.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnview has tags, but not for zoom AFAIK. I would just cut out those sections as new images.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have many large images of an object many of which have good reference of several areas of interest. Hacking them all up would be pretty time consuming and result in a bunch of files I don't really want or need. Not to mention how nice it would be to zoom in and out of the target area after you brought up the image.

Seams like this would be a really useful feature to have.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnview has a good forum, maybe make a request?
  • rajkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    challenge accepted :)

been working a bit on my screenshot app that i made specificly for cg artists. and id love to expand on it.

which features would be interesting to have in the image/project viewer?

- tags
    - comments
    - saving locations of large images.
    - exporting these locations (if you want to show it to a friend)
    - cropping

got anything else in mind?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    rajkard: Batch renaming of images might be useful too, eg. give a prefix and it will append numeric suffix to make each file unique, so you could take a selection of images and rename them all to be easier to sort/catalogue locally.
    Let us know how that project comes along! :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'd like something like this to organise all my files.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd like a big whiteboard thati can pin images to, so i can open like 5 images up on the one screen and zoom in to diffrent sections.

at the moment i just open all the pictures and then arrange each photo viewer on the monitor.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Feature I like in xnView that also exists in irfanview I think, is a "send to" functionality... xnView can set up custom apps to send images to, ie alt+2 opens up an image in Photoshop for me.

One thing I find annoying in xnView is the lack of an obvious sort when viewing images... would be nice if it matched the sort of the folder you launch from, ie by date, filename, size... seems the most intuitive way.

xnView has a really nifty shell integration; right-clicking an image in explorer (if you're in an open file dialogue for example) shows a thumbnail, has "send to imageshack" and a VERY useful convert to > menu that folds out. Very useful if, say, you have a texture and want to load it up in marmoset but forgot to save as TGA. Converts psd files too, very handy, batch selections as well.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooo, yeah rajkard if you can write that up that would be awesome. I am working from reference constantly.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    rajkard: Batch renaming of images might be useful too, eg. give a prefix and it will append numeric suffix to make each file unique, so you could take a selection of images and rename them all to be easier to sort/catalogue locally.
    Let us know how that project comes along! :)
    Yes please. Something that batch renames like XnView would be great.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Small program, but Pictus is nice for just having a borderless reference image always on top. Can be instanced, and with KatMouse you can use the scrollwheel without activating the inactive, on-top window - which can be assigned to zoom or image swapping. Unfortunately, the scroll zoom is into the centre of the window rather than where the mouse is being hovered.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Vig wrote: »
    Yes please. Something that batch renames like XnView would be great.
    There is a great and now free app for that:
    http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/about.asp
    (created by game developers)
    Beats any other tool when it comes to mass renaming stuff with templates in just a matter of seconds to setup.

But yeah some nice rapid fast lightweight image viewer that is borderless and can stay on top would be nice. All other tools out there usually try to much like ACDsee which became more and more bloated and even XnView needs a serious configuration in order to perform fast and minimalistic. Just focus on that first and then add small but useful features.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Media Player Classic is pretty lightweight, right?

mpcrefimage.jpg

Not much for zooming and navigation, though it can be done via numpad 1/9, and ctrl+num2/4/6/8. The playlist is slow to go forward and back on... and printscreen apparently deleted the top image in my screenshot, which is too bad; it was a hot asian.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    There is a great and now free app for that:
    http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/about.asp
    (created by game developers)
    Beats any other tool when it comes to mass renaming stuff with templates in just a matter of seconds to setup.

But yeah some nice rapid fast lightweight image viewer that is borderless and can stay on top would be nice. All other tools out there usually try to much like ACDsee which became more and more bloated and even XnView needs a serious configuration in order to perform fast and minimalistic. Just focus on that first and then add small but useful features.
    Awesome and it works on all files not just images... so useful thanks for sharing!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and if you could make the entire thing portable so that the settings were saved in a folder that would be great. I would love to use this with Drop box and synchronize all of references.