Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

T-Rex

Hello guys. This is my first post on polycount. I have had 11 months of modeling experience and this is really my first real time game model. Here is a low poly T-Rex I have been working on recently. I just gave him a normal and spec map today. None of these maps are complete yet. They will vary as the project continues.

file.php?id=11198

file.php?id=11197

file.php?id=11171

Replies

• flatHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flatHead polycounter lvl 11
    Model's looking pretty good, could you post some wires? The textures still need a lot of work though; your color map is much too dark and muddy. I'm sure people here could give you lots of advice on how to improve it.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Heyy, welcome!

Could you please lower the white to a medium or medium-dark grey? White backgrounds are worse than solid black ones when it comes to presentation - I know everyone else uses an LCD and they're bright, but I can't make out any information on my CRT.

Colour and spec could use some guidance both, if you're open to it. At the moment, specularity is too high (unless it's an amphibian t-rex). But yeah... model and unfinished sculpt look decent. Seems the normals didn't bake to the teeth quite properly, though.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Welcome to polycount!

And what a great first post, the Tyrannosaurus! I'm partial to the Allosaurus myself - but to each his own :).

The head looks good, but the rest of the body is far too basic and underdeveloped. The legs look short and bulky rather than powerful and toned. Rex may have been believed (by some) to be a scavenger but he was still an incredibly powerful creature, and I'm not quite getting that feeling yet with your mesh. The tail also looks too small to be supporting the weight of the creatures head, but from the renders you've provided it's very hard to see to be sure.

As for the texture - it's much too dark. And it's far too green. Although we don't know exactly what their skin color was, most depictions see them with a slight camo. But that's a more subjective opinion, so have fun with it.

Nice job so far though, keep it up!
  • Dudeman95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys. As I have already stated I will be fixing all the textures. I haven't made a normal map for the teeth yet, and I was using another 3D model as a reference.