Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ossian Studios Art Test

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Results of a well received art test I did for Ossian Studios

condensedportfoliosteve.jpg

The budget was 250 tris and 1x512 diffuse texture.

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, some minor nit picks:

Seems kind of strange to have holes/indents along the edge of the chair cushions.

Also some noticeable mirroring of the stones behind the torches.

Other than that looks great, hope it leads to something good for you :)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    The stonework isn't right.

1. Mirroring as mentioned above is pretty obvious
    2. The stone does not follow the top of the window arches (look at some reffs for how windows are set in stone walls.

Otherwise it looks OK
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    good but could be better

make better use of your texture space, the wall is mirrored so mirror the uvs and save the space, as with the ceiling the beams could use the same space and the ceiling itself could be.

and its worth spending a couple more polys on the arch to give it a propper point and yes as xalter says, make the stonework follow the arch, and tweaking the stone texture could hide the mirroring better
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    @Ben Apuna
    Cheers, yes the stonework could have been improved with more time.
    I was considering insetting the leather on the chair but assumed this would make it harder to read at these kind of distances.

@Xaltar
    Yep.

@SHEPEIRO
    I'm presuming your either joking, or did not read the triangle limitation stated in the initial post. These uv's are already mirrored for maximum coverage. BUT if it's neither of these I'm calling you out! Please by all means try to keep under the 250 tri limit and get a better uv coverage, I can supply you with a uv map, if you wish:poly142:
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just try it dude ;-)
    I can do it with 8 added tris, and give possibly 25% of you t-page back, if the engine allowed for open edges (some dont or give artefacts then i can do it for less or mirror the window too)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I think he might take you up on that dare, dude.

It's foolish to assume every vastly more experienced artist who critiques you is talking out of their ass, maybe he knows something you dont. :p
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    SHEPEIRO as I mentioned there is a tri limit @ 250 tris, currently everything is @ 247 tris, so your talking about splitting a single polygon, for what reason? Also I don't need to try it because this test has already been completed and was a success :)
    SupRore wrote: »
    I think he might take you up on that dare, dude.

It's foolish to assume every vastly more experienced artist who critiques you is talking out of their ass, maybe he knows something you dont. :p

That's a foolish statement, your saying that due to this one situation that now I assume every artist is talking bollocks! Hmm, I think you need to rethink that and be aware that my history here prooves I rely on criticism, as does every other true artist on this forum, regardless of how experienced they may be.

Hey, maybe it's my new avatar, do bald heads annoy you guys?:poly124:
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    GCMP wrote: »
    Hey, maybe it's my new avatar, do bald heads annoy you guys?:poly124:

Bald People are the spawn of evil. That is why I don't speak to my dad anymore :poly124:.

Anyway I like the overall scene and when I first glanced over this thread I didn't notice the mirroring behind the torches. The only thing that really annoys me is the chair. I think it would have looked better with some trim painted onto the cushions. I mean with more tris some extra geo would have make it look so much better. But I think you could have add some trim round the cushions in the texture.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry dude i read the vert count as your tris, i blame un-diagnosed dislexia,
    anyway im enjoying the puzzle what was the tri count for the env. section?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Surfa I lol'ed at that, first image that came to mind was Dr Evil, thing is I really want it to grow back but, well genetics and all that. Might have to get a cow to lick my head in order to be less 'evil'.

SHEPEIRO no probs. yeh it was tight.

building section = 86 tris
    chair = 128 tris
    torch = 33 tris

247 total tris for the 3 components.

It was kind of fun having a budget, I was told to try and keep under the limit and at the end of the test that I could have gone over by a few tris, but I wanted the challenge and to demonstrate ability of keeping to specific limits.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Other than the texture mirror thing, I didn't notice until later, it looks great. I thought you could make the cushion of the chair have better shading so it looks rounder and not so flat.

Good luck.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    This looks like a fun challenge.. 250 tris 512x512 lets make an low poly enviro thread with this spec limit and have at it :)

You could have saved some tris on the chair arms by making them 3 sided instead of 4, from the distance it would be viewed no one would notice. Same with the torch stand, it could have been done with 3 sides with the back tris deleted to save you a little more. That would have given you about 22 tris to play with + the 3 you didn't use = 25.. Another small prop?

Pretty good for the limitations though, only the stonework lets it down a bit as I said before.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sage, thanks, there was a time restriction and working on completing my portfolio at the same time made it a bit more of a challenge :poly122:
    Xaltar wrote: »
    This looks like a fun challenge.. 250 tris 512x512 lets make an low poly enviro thread with this spec limit and have at it :)

Just sent a message back to SHEPEIRO about this, good idea, it would be a mild little challenge that most people could sink their teeth into.