Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doom -Quake III

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
I'm working on the Quake III inspired version of Doom, and instead of clogging up the WAYWO thread with him, I'll post progress here.

I have the hard surface subd parts blocked out and i'm sculpting the "organic" parts now.

Here is some progress on the hair and a closeup of the torso:

dm_05.jpg

Not sure if I'll roll with the hair like this, or if i'll retopo it with polystrips(probably).

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    YES! This is awesome
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    How closely are you planning to stick to the original design?

Doom's helmet is pretty iconic. I'd recommend sticking pretty closely to its original structure.
    p_doom.jpg

Looks like maybe your chest might be a little flat too, although it could be just the camera angle.

All that said, his face and the structures of the armour are looking pretty good.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    The helmet is too squashed in yours so far. Looks more like a pug is behind the mask than a human :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    At the moment its looking very squashed and lumpy. Taking on one of the most iconic characters in video gaming wont be an easy task, so be prepared for a lot of "thats not how it should be!" posts. However, your off to a great start, just tighten up those angles on the armour, as the original was clearly all about angular features, not soft edges. The helmets good for the most part except for the mouth piece, which seems to melt into the face. On the original its more of a beak?

Can't wait to see more!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Great stuff, I'm watching this one :D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The face looks very realistic, but man that quake guy is jacked. He has the head of a news reporter and a body that would put Arnold Schwarzenegger to shame. I think he should have more chiseled features, and look much younger in general. Nice job so far though, its no easy task to make such a realistic head.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    yeah the helmet looks like underbite trooper.
    ps his name isnt doom, it's flynn taggart or "fly"
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is his name according to the novels.

In the video game, Doom, he is nameless.

In Quake 3, which is where he is modeling this from; his name is Doom.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    ngs616 wrote: »

I reckon it's the earliest source which could be considered canonical...
    I was reading about it on the doom wiki actually and found a lulzy note

"In Chinese the character is known as the "Extermination Warrior" (Simplified Chinese: 毁灭战士; Pinyin: huǐ m
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game would be the earliest source, not the novels. :P

And to quote John Romero here: "There was never a name for the DOOM marine because it's supposed to be YOU. The DOOM novels just made up a name (we had no input on that either). I'm not too hot on Flynn Taggart like everyone else."

I love that Extermination Warrior too though.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    do i need to say "daikatana"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, I love the face.

My main crit right now would be your chest armour (and in fact the whole torso, really) is lacking volume at the front. You've made it fairly flat, while the Q3 reference shows that the centre really juts out a fair bit. Jackablade already caught this.
    More volume would make it have a lot more presence, I reckon.

Also as Jackablade pointed out, you've made the helmet shape quite different to what the original was, you really need to match that as closely as possible otherwise he won't look right.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, Jackablade, the crits about the chest and helmet will really help.
    odium, true, the angles look like the key to nailing the likeness, i'll sharpen them up. :)
    Brad: good points, i'll pull back the aging and chisel the jaw/cheekbones some more.
    MoP, after Jackablade's post I did touch on the helmet, muzzle and visor, but i'm not done with them just yet.

Here is a front/side/back view of the suit:
    dm_06.jpg
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Looking p good so far. Hands look big and he looks short
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i seen him textured and running around in game. I would definitely recognize him as a modern version of the Quake 3 Doom marine.

I think the cheek area of the helmet looks a little too high. Possibly the mouth armor a little too.
    From the front it looks to me like his head isn't all the way inside the helmet. Maybe it's just the perspective.
    I'd appreciate it if you posted a shot of that helmet, transparent, over the head. I can't stop looking at it.

This is really looking good so far. Keep it up. It really makes me want to do a doom style marine.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    ngs616 wrote: »

In the video game, Doom, he is nameless.

In Quake 3, which is where he is modeling this from; his name is Doom.

If memory serves, Phobos is actually the guy who went through the Single player campaign of Doom. "Doom" is just a regular terran soldier.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    ah... nostalgia... love it!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice classic style Doom soldier. :D

Thanks for sharing!