Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Sewing Machine

Old fashioned WIP American Girl sewing machine. It's my first try at hi-poly, and I'm rather new at modeling.

Please, if there's any advice you can give me, go ahead and shoot! I need all the help I can get.

sewingmachine2render.jpg

sewingmachine1render.jpg

--

EDIT:

Update. Here's the new version of the model. I added some flourishes here and there, according to some suggestions made by my teacher. I am in the process of building my low poly, at the moment, but changes can be made to the high poly, so if you have any suggestions, please feel free to give them.

sewingmachinerendercopy.jpg

Here's the ref.

PICT0031.jpg

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    A long way to to go, especially considering I modeled the hardest parts so far. Looking for feedback 12 hours before class won't do you a lot of good....

Step 1 - Look at the ref. Look at your model. Then attempt to make yours look more like the ref.

All of the top details are missing, your ref is much rounder along the base pieces, the proportions are way off as well. The front silver metal plating is more rectangular than yours. The ref is also a bit taller than yours.

At the very least, block in ALL of the shapes first to get a feel for proportions, and then start tackling the high poly.

Having a wireframe would help too, so edge suggestions could be made.
  • kakimari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    its getting there. Id say that you go back and stick to the reference. Im not sure which one is the update one. ( i assume is the one before the reference ) It seems like you are adding objects that are not in the reference. is there a purpose to that?

You cant just bevel your edges and call it a day. Add the required edges to make your stuff more solid.

and what is this that "especially considering I modeled the hardest parts so far". Its ok for someone to show you how to model things. Im sure we all needed the help at some point. But i also suggest that you take the time, and model the parts yourself later on.

For this prop, it seems like you are almost done, so i wouldnt worry too much. Just fix the stuff that needs fixing, and call it done.

Keep it up!
  • kakimari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for responding raul!

The new object is indeed the blue render above the reference. I only really added a couple objects, such as the rivets up in front and the ring around the red base. The rivets were a suggestion made by my teacher, because at that moment the front looked a bit blank and too flat. I did add a few rivets hoping to add a little more character, but if that's best left to the texture, I can take them off.

The base to the main body was something I added to help determine a transition between one part of the body and the next. They were kind of flowing right into each other before and didn't look quite right.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    You've made a tremendous improvement compared to your original model. You could add detail here and there such as the screws on the base of the sewing machine. Keep working on it. :)
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I would say loose the rivets on the front, it's a not a steam punk sewing machine (Although some modifications and a boiler tank would certainly make it work, haha)
    Anyway, The side screws already indicate that they're holding the plate on. I would also go a head and make the plate like the reference (just a folded piece of metal). I would also re-arrange the screws on the base to be more asymmetrical like the ref. Those sort of subtle variances in design that make it seem more thoughtful and intentional.