Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio-Shrew81-Elijah Brown

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
Ok ladies and gents, Ive postponed working on a few projects in order to get a website up and running, finally just used weebly, (really easy!)
Take a look and tell me what you think!:)

http://cg3delijah.weebly.com/

Replies

• duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remove the welcome intro.. make your images larger... show finished work... other than that keep on trucking!
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    it'd be cool if you had more of a gallery view on stuff, but i've seen people do the blogging thing though. at least for me, id rather see a gallery of images rather than having to scroll down a blog, but that's just me ^^
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope this doesn't sound too harsh.

You should start making some more ambitious and high quality pieces, your ammo box is a good start. I think a good portfolio should have a few really high quality pieces rather than a bunch of mediocre and unfinished stuff. Take the time you need to make some really nice work rather than rushing through or leaving things unfinished.

Your full sized images take a bit too long to load and are a little too small, you should probably use jpegs rather than uncompressed pngs.

You should also put your name and email somewhere on all of your images. It doesn't need to be large and in your face, just enough so an interested AD would be able to contact you if all he/she had was your image.

Before you start applying to places be sure to add downloadable versions of your resume to your website, microsoft word and pdf should be good.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks guys, lots of help :)
    duxun: done, done, and done, seems like weebly was resizing all of my pics, I have them hosted on photobucket now to be faster and to keep the resolution.

G3L: I made it into a more gallery-styled site, I think I like it.

Ben: Here to help me again?
    I agree about the high quality over quantity, I guess I was trying to show that even though im kind of green in the experience department, I still have loads of experience.
    Im working on some more portfolio-specific pieces,
    got the jpegs, the name and email, I'll write up a resume in a bit.

in case anyone cant find the link: http://cg3delijah.weebly.com/
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and another update, I think I will add another link to the wireframes of each model, anything else I am missing?
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    OK your not going to like this but its for your own good. You should have a lot more work if you've been "studying 3d art" for six years. A lot of your stuff is simple, not interesting, and not going to get you a job.

Trash everything except for the ammo box. You can ONLY use the sandbag if you do something more with it like make a sandbag wall or something interesting. Never put something one your site just to fill up space, or to show your progression over the years , cause people don't like that.

Change the background of all your renders to (35,35,35) or something around that. The black is too dark and the edges of your models get lost. Try and render bigger if you can.
    If you need ideas on stuff to make I would suggest Art tests.
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5970
    Just keep making assets, and make sure finishing them. If your looking for tutorials i would recommend the guys over at Eat3D.com, and the forums too.

In your experience try and sound like you have a little confidence. Don't use words like " I think I'm ready for the next big step". say I am currently seeing employment. Also United States is CAPITALIZED! Either portfolio needs to be capitalized of experience needs to be lower case.

Keep going!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thanks jet_pilot. I tried to have only the best representations of my skills in there, looks like I need to get to work!
    Thanks for showing me the art test list, I think I'll start now :)