Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Village

Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a while and want to get going on a new 3d environment for my portfolio. Here's my concept. I will start out in Maya then take it into unreal. All C&C is welcome of corse, whether it is about composition, the buildings themselves, anything.

NOTE: I know it's a bit barren right now, I didn't want to spend too much time filling it with props as that will be easier to do in 3d anyways.

villagecopy.jpg

Replies

• A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Not bad. Can make for a really nice scene. I like the buildings.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I like it. is it going to be just as stylized and colorful in the final version? It gives me a very Katamari vibe and I like that. Not much to crit right now but something seems strange about the paths. If I lived in this village I wouldn't walk on them, they don't look like fast routes.

I think some cows or wildlife would enhance the scene. Humans obviously would, but if you don't want to do that I think a cow or two would be nice.

Let's see some 3d!:)
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may just be me, but your perspective on some parts of the buildings seems to be off a bit.

Looks great none the less. Makes me happy :)
  • travesty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travesty polycounter lvl 14
    nothing i havent already told you "
    looks good so far but don't forget people need houses also a blacksmith would be a good addition cant wait to see it in 3d"
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a very nice start! Feels like a 3D interpretation of a typical SNES esque rpg. Get to work and show us some updates soon!
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @A.Kincade - Thanks for the kind words.

@Frump - Ya, I have thought about some cows and pigs and stuff. Once I get all the major elements in and the props, I may add some animals, maybe even simple characters. I will need to concept some out first, so I guess I'll just worry about that when I get to it.

@Pbcrazy - My 2d skills are a bit weak. I know the perspective on the church is definitely off. The main reason I stopped working on the painting was that I felt I should move into the 3d, as I'm not looking for concept art jobs. But I may go back to the painting later and fix it up so that I can throw it in the gallery along side my stills of this scene. Glad it made you happy too. I like post apocalyptic, grungy scenes as much as the next guy, but colourful scenes are great too.

@travesty - Thanks for the crit. I want to put some houses and a blacksmith behind the "camera" of the painting, in the lower part of the village. A stream with a little bridge is something I want as well, but water scares me, hopefully it won't be too hard to pull off in Unreal.

@gsokol - Thanks. Ya that's kind of what I was going for. The main things in my mind when starting this were saturated, fantasy, cartoony, happy. Although I'm not really a fan of them anymore, the Pokemon games were something that I spent a lot of time in, and they have an interesting look. Fable 2 had a big influence on me as well, although I wouldn't really say that my scene looks much like Fable 2.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I will be able to post anything until Saturday. I'm trying to hand paint all the textures, so I'm creating some big base textures right now, and it's taking a while. So hopefully I will have a nice building ready to show this weekend. Thanks again all.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I have a feeling it will look like Team Fortress 2 style, if you are going to handpaint. But thats just my opinion.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great! I envy you guys that can paint and draw :( The only crit I have about it (and maybe you wanted it to look like this) is the lighting is a bit flat. It just feels like it needs a bit more contrast.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vofff - Another game that has influenced me quite a bit. Fat Princess is another. Hopefully the scene doesn't look exactly like any of these games, but the same "flavor".

@DarthNater - Thanks. With the contrast thing, I'm kind of not sure. Just gonna keep moving forward and see how the scene ends up looking in Unreal.

Small update, nothing major. Just want to get into the habit of posting progress.

villagestart.jpg
  • travesty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travesty polycounter lvl 14
    textures still need work they look low res and you going to use crazybump
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice,
    i would suggest swapping the position of the car and the tree round, it would make a better focal point, and perhaps curving the whole scene around the camera more, would make it a touch more organic feeling its a too grid like in layout at the moment IMO
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, been a little busy, but I think it's time for an update, and some feedback. I modeled one of the houses I am going to have in the background. I figured it would be a good idea to do something from the background first so since I haven't done anything in this style yet, so it will probably evolve a bit before I get into the main buildings that I had in mind. So anyways, here's what I have so far. Nothing is final so feel free to critique any aspect. Thanks :)

fullb.jpg

frontvj.jpg

foundation.jpg
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @travesty Thanks for the crit, I re did those textures, I think they still need some work though. I do not think I will use normal maps on this enviro for the most part, unless I can find a use for them that can keep the whole cartoon look intact.

@SHEPEIRO I agree completely about the tree and the wagon. I'll make that change in the 3d version. Same goes for the grid - ness of the scene.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Not bad, it's coming along.

Right now the roof looks good, but it has way higher detail frequency than the rest of the texture. You might want to make the roof tiles a lot larger and infrequent.

The wood is an overall improvement from before, but it now looks milky. Add more contrast and get some sharper, darker cracks and veins in there to really make it pop.

I like the rocks you have around the bottom of the building, you should try to use them more around the walls of the building. Which leads to my next crit. The walls are really bare. I'm not sure what you could add to the walls to make them more interesting but I'm sure you can think of something. Don't be afraid to create some alpha planes over top of things for unique detail that won't repeat all over your uvs.

It's looking preetty goood. Hopefully some of this is helpful. Let's see more.:)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    hehe pretty sweet it reminds me a bit of animal crossing and such :)

keep it up!
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @yiannisk Thanks! It's funny how a few people have brought up some of the games I like and have been inspired by, although I'm surprised no one has mentioned WoW yet lol.

@Frump The thing with the roof being higher detail is that I think most of my camera shots will be tilted down, making the roof fairly prominent. I agree though, I could probably make the shingles a bit bigger.

I agree about the wood. Painting wood from scratch was way harder than I thought it would be.

Those damn walls. I actually gathered quite a bit of reference for the walls, both real life materials, and some in game stuff, and honestly it's been the most annoying thing. None of the stuff I have seen in games looks like a real material, and they all seem a bit too simple (low frequency, low noise) for what I'm doing. At the same time, the real life stuff doesn't exactly match what I want either. Does the alpha plane thing work in UDK? Or will it create weird shadows? I dunno, maybe I'm being an idiot, I'll do some more work on it this week. Thanks mang
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I like your models so far and you have a great concept. I would say that right now those rocks don't quite work with the rest of your textures, they just seem off. For the walls themselves, maybe you can paint in some of the shadows and give it a bit more contrast. You're gonna also want to maybe paint in some grass or dirt on the bottom of the building so it has a better transition.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a bit more done. All that's left now is the chimney, a few more details on the roof, and then 1 more pass on the textures, hopefully. I might leave it alone for a day to get some fresh eyes.

Please critique, and thanks for all the posts so far :)

house0409.jpg

front0409.jpg

foundation0409.jpg

wire0409.jpg
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you be able to throw the UV map up for this?

I am really liking the scene so far, if you continue to push the buildings in terms of contrast, get some nice colours in there, it should work wonders to make the scene look more appealing.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Those stones are waaaay to dense for the amount of detail you are adding into them. With their silhouette being hidden by the beams of the house you are wasting geo. I would suggest either alphaing the rocks to make them blend, or remove all the geo that is 'inside' the rock meshes that aren't contributing to the form.

Everything is looking good though!
  • travesty
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    while i'm totally loving the look of your textures i gotta admit, if i hadnt seen your wireframe i would have thought the stones on the bottom were just painted on the flat wall texture. they seem to not give off any visible shadow to the building.
    i think either it should be more clearer that the stones are actually modelled or you could just delete them and bake it into one flat wall texture.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, thanks to everyone for the critiques, it's been very encouraging and helpful. I hope to have an update by Sunday night.

@marq4porsche I'm working on the rocks now. I painted the walls just before you posted. I think I'm going to take it into unreal and see how it looks before painting grass or dirt on top of my textures.

@AstericAs requested here is the diffuse map with UVs:

houseatexwuvs.jpg

@chaosquack @Acumen Thanks guys. Ya I have been critiqued on the rocks by a few friends as well, so I will definitely make it my goal to fix those up by the end of the weekend. I'm going to try removing some geo, the alpha plane method, and just putting them into the wall texture.

@travesty Ya I was inspired by their concept art when they dumped a bunch of it on conceptart.org a while back.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice art style and texturing BUT
    that is a huge texture with alot of waste, for starters there is not enough difference in a lot of the panels, window frames, glass panels roof tops etc slap them all on the same part of the T page and you will save possibly 2/3rds of the texture
    in fact i would split the texture up into several textures that could tile wouldnt look any different and when it comes to making new houses its easy to swap them out....

if your going to do it like this then you need to be using all that uniqueness, which currently you arent and i dont see how it would be necessary

the base stone work could aslo be a laterally tiling texture with an alpha applied to a floating poly, no need for that dense mesh

also the roof textures is too dark in the shadows, lighten them up
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile. I've made some changes to the textures and reduced the polys a bit. There are a bunch of things that I could do better, but I've decided I want to move on and start getting the rest of the scene going.

Any C&C is welcome as usual, and hopefully I will have another update within the next week.

House0711.jpg

Front0711.jpg

Wire0711.jpg
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

Made the garden shed that's in the foreground of my concept. It's not finished. I still need to put the window on it, and there is a fair amount of texturing to do still. Right now, it's sitting on it's own 512 x 512 diffuse. Can't remember the tris off the top of my head. Anyways, here it is. C&C plz

Shed_Full.jpg

Shed_Front.jpg

Shed_Wire.jpg
  • Dis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis
    Looks good! One thing that stands out to me though is the pixel density difference between the wall/stone and the wooden beams. The shingles on the roof also look way too big compared to the rest.

When you say "it's sitting on its own 512 x 512 diffuse", I'm assuming it means you are still giving everything unique texture space? Like Shepeiro said, why not work with tiling textures instead? It'd be faster to slap it on the similar buildings, you'd probably save on texture sizes and it would also make resizing the roof, for example, a piece of cake.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good eye, Dis! Yea, you need to try to keep your pixels from one poly to the next as close as possible. As objects are further away this becomes less of a concern. It's more addressed towards things the player can get close to and really inspect.

Also with that in mind, You can use more polygons in areas where the camera get closer. On Warhammer, we'd often put more detail in the ground level of buildings and slowly work our way up to mostly silhouette detail.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dis, cholden

The pixel density is actually pretty close, maybe the wood is slightly smaller. I think the main thing that you guys are seeing (I see it now as well) is just that the "style" that this one is painted in is sort of different from the rest of the building. I guess more specifically, the noise frequency is higher in the other elements. Also, the texture has suffered a bit from me scaling it down from the House's 1024 texture. I'll try to fix this up asap.

About the tiling textures thing:
    I can see how it would be efficient, but I think I would loose more than I would gain. I would lose most of my dirt and damage uniqueness, I wouldn't be able to paint the ambient occlusion/shadows on the textures, and a lot of the buildings would end up looking the same.

On a more whiny note, I have not done that kind of workflow before, and I plan to take this into UDK, which is another thing I have not done before. The ground textures and paths and stuff will definitely be tiling, but I think making unique textures for the buildings is fine. Plus I have fairly limited time since I'm working full time (not an art job) and I really want to try to get this done.

Sorry, hope that didn't sound too defensive. I just want to play it safe and go with what I know for this scene. I may try a tiling texture workflow in the future, but for now, I'm gonna stick with the single page diffuse and spec maps for each building.
  • Dis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis
    Actually, you don't have to lose a lot of detail if you're tiling it cleverly (you can tile it in just one direction or break up the mesh/UVs in a clever way). But I understand that you're hesitant, it's not the easiest to wrap your head around when not used to working with it.

What I would suggest though is that since the house and the shed are pretty much identical when it comes to the textures, just use the house texture for the shed. Overlap your shed UVs over your house UVs. Since you're already copying from one texture to the other anyway, you'd save a lot of work and lose no detail.

If you want to have some unique parts for the shed (for example the roof), just make a small separate texture with only those new parts and apply it as a second material.