Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tesla's Blunderbuss [WIP]

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Polygoblin polycounter
The following is my entry to GA's speed modeling competition.

Here are the competition guidelines, and info. Want to participate?

Tesla's Blunderbuss
3,400 tris

TBB_V1.jpgTBB_V1Wire.gif

Still working on the piping and generator, but after that, I'll use the rest of the polys on polish.

...unless, of course, I hear a good suggestion

As always, C&C is welcomed and encouraged.
Thanks for taking the time to view my thread.

NOTE: Here are my reference maps. Feel free to save the steampunk blunderbuss map for your personal use during the competition (if you decide to enter)

StmpnkBBussRefMap.jpgTeslaRefMap.jpg

Replies

• SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool idea. I'm a big fan of Tesla, that's what bought my attention.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I'm a big fan of Tesla, that's what bought my attention.

Throughout this project, I have become quite a fan myself. The guy was quite a character :) His legendary fued with Thomas Edison was epic. Ever think he invented anything to "take care of" his arch nemesis? I do ;)

If you've never seen "The Prestige", I would suggest it. Nikola Tesla has an interesting role.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @Dado - Thanks. I made an adjustment :)

Here is my finished low poly mesh. 5870 Tris

TBB_V2_P1.jpgTBB_V2_P1Wire.gif
    TBB_V2_P2.jpgTBB_V2_P2Wire.gif
    TBB_V2_P3.jpgTBB_V2_P3Wire.gif
    TBB_V2_P4.jpgTBB_V2_P4Wire.gif

I am still working on the high res, and should finish soon. UVs will be done shortly after.

I really like these speed modeling challenges. I'm learning alot!

Final submission coming soon...
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    too many loops in each "canister" compared to the errrrrr "coil" and the barrel, at least at the sections that create the silhouette, divide these and it looks like youve got a winner
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @SHEPEIRO - Thanks :) I salvaged the polys necessary to round it out.

Tesla's Blunderbuss - 5995 Tris

Ok, so here is what I can show off at the time of submission. I spent too much time doing the high poly and didn't finish the UVs first, like a smart guy would. Soooo I guess I'm eliminated :( The UVs (as of now) are done, but not arranged. Jeez, what a stupid mistake to make.

TBB_V3_P2.jpg
    TBB_V3_P2High.jpg
    TBB_V3_P2Wire.gif
    TBB_V3_P1.jpg
    TBB_V3_P1High.jpg
    TBB_V3_P1Wire.gif
    TBB_V3_P3.jpg
    TBB_V3_P3High.jpg
    TBB_V3_P3Wire.gif

*Edit - The steam generators are missing in the low poly screencaps. I rushed to the library (no internet at home), and didnt notice them missing until it was too late. Sorry, I'll show it when I finish and upload the last set of updates.*

Because of my ill-advised workflow, I could not finish. Next time I'm going to do the high poly first, like I've seen many other artists do. I am going to finish this anyways, on my own time. I'm nearly finished, so after I do the embellishments in ZBrush, I should be set.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Decided to finish and get a submission up in hopes that the deadline would be flexible. Looks like that was a good idea :) The deadline was pushed back.
    Tesla's Blunderbuss - 5987 Tris

- Final Submission -

TBB_V4.jpg
    outUV.gif
    TBB_V4_P1.jpg
    TBB_V4_P1Wire.gif
    TBB_V4_P1High.jpg

Still have to bake the normals and create the embellishments, wood grain, and stuff in ZBrush. It won't be up in time for voting, though :(
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Question: Is it considered "unprofessional" to use basic colored shaders when displaying your model early on (before texture work)? I thought it would define the material type(s), but noticed that I'm the only one doing it. If you are unsure of what I'm talking about, check out my earlier screencaps.

Thanx :)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    To me personally.... shading the model in blank basic hues is distracting to the model itself. I usually display untextured models in a neutral grey so the emphasis is on the modeling and not the color choice. But I guess that it is all opinion.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @Progg - I agree, and will surely keep that in mind the next time. I'm sure it can be efficient, but only when used with colors that don't contrast as much. Thanks for your opinion. Looking back, I was wondering if that was a problem.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    TBB_Display.png

Base colors with baked base normal map
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Really interesting design you have there. I'm a huge Tesla fan so I'll definitely be following your progress.
    Looking forward to seeing your final textures and good luck with the comp.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Tesla makes everything awesome. Don't forget to put "Edison is a piece of ham" somewhere on it, though :poly122:

I am liking the design so far, but you could try to make those cylindrical shapes a little bit rounder. A couple more tris certainly wouldn't hurt.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.
  • etb342
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polygoblin,

First of all, I'm jealous of this design and idea. You can have some serious fun with anything relating to Tesla.

The forms you've used all over the model offer a great silohouette...especially that weird squiggly offshoot on the bottom. My only critique right now is that, looking at this with fresh eyes, it still reads heavily as a steampunk device. In fact, I wouldn't guess that this gun fired electricity except for the name of it. Maybe start to move away from valves and tanks (which implies that the mechanics of the gun uses gas pressure to operate) and start looking at electrical devices to sell that this thing will fry opponents with a bolt of lightning. Steampunk is a great influence and all but you need to remember that steampunk relies on alot of spun copper and other doo-dads that probably would be ill advised for an electro-gun. Those components would be awfully conductive...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin pretty good nice work so far =)

The only beef I have with it is that its a weapon which would probably be viewed the first person viewport? If so the design looks like it would eat up so much screen real estate it would drive people crazy.

The materials still look pretty WIP so I'll hold off on commenting until you get them more finalized. Looking good, keep up the great work!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    If your stock is supposed to be wood, it looks much closer to leather. It's too yellow and the texture is too uniform, and it lacks wood grain. I think your brass material is a bit too yellowish. Also, if this is a third person model (which I'm led to believe it is by the blockiness of some large parts), I'd say a 2048x2048 is overkill.

Cool concept, though.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    etb342 wrote: »
    ... Maybe start to move away from valves and tanks (which implies that the mechanics of the gun uses gas pressure to operate) and start looking at electrical devices to sell that this thing will fry opponents with a bolt of lightning. Steampunk is a great influence and all but you need to remember that steampunk relies on alot of spun copper and other doo-dads that probably would be ill advised for an electro-gun.

The competition guidelines states it has to be a steampunk style. I am planning to add finer details to the normal map in Photoshop to help define how it handles the powerful electricity (via rubber and wiring). Was thinking about adding a few small lightning rods and stuff...
    Vig wrote: »
    The only beef I have with it is that its a weapon which would probably be viewed the first person viewport? If so the design looks like it would eat up so much screen real estate it would drive people crazy.

The dials, lights, and gauges are supposed to form a basic HUD by telling you pressure levels, electricity generated, overheat warnings, etc. I will be sure to "clean up" the first-person view a bit :)

Thank you for your critiques, everybody! I am revising a few things that were suggested, and will put some more work into the diffuse and normal maps before I post more screencaps. To help train myself, I will start to keep track of my progress with a stopwatch.

Time spent revising so far : 60 minutes
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Rounded some areas out a bit, and tightened up the "aiming view" by lowering the generator system a few inches. Working on bake errors. Think its caused by the UVs. Couldn't figure it out, so I uploaded my progress to keep myself motivated. Hard to find time to work these days.

TBB_V5.jpg

TBB_Wire.gif

Also decided to lose the copper "coils". Good idea? Any recommendations?