Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Raided Village

This is an old map I'm bringing back to see if i can't fix it up nice. I'm a Level Designer for the most part but that doesn't the levels can look bad. Most of the models are made by other people that worked with me on this level i was just hoping to get some feedback on the look of the terrain and the overall feel of the level but if you guys have any other feedback, please feel free to post it. Anything at all will help. Remember this is a work in progress and is not finished yet.

http://img171.imageshack.us/i/pic4id.jpg/
http://img175.imageshack.us/i/pic3n.jpg/
http://img251.imageshack.us/i/pic2rxk.jpg/
http://img189.imageshack.us/i/pic1jk.jpg/

PS: Sorry about the links, I'll get new pics up soon.

Replies

• Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is difficult to tell what are roads or rocky hillsides. I suggest putting alot more snow to get rid of the honeycomb look.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Hey another 'Ontarioan' :) Welcome to PC.

First thing that I noticed in this particular picture was that it looks like its underwater.. Not because of the of colors, but the way the snow and rock textures are intertwined.

Heres sort of what I mean.. the way the light hits the sea bed.

ocean33ws0230.jpg
    and yours.
    pic2rxk.jpg

Theres no reason really why the rock shouldn't be entirely covered in snow... unless, global warming. lol. I like the scene though. I wouldn't mind seeing some bushes or shrubs and maybe some wolf pelts among other random stuff.

Looking forward to an update :)
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to completely agree with brandoom I saw the picture and I was like "oh it's underwater" then I read his post... it's not underwater...
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I have to agree with the others, it does look like it's underwater from the aerial shots, but overall it looks great, has a lot of potential to look even better.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Saso: Im not sure if your trying to be clever or not reading this thread past looking at the pictures posted.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's just trolling, people should pretty much just ignore what he says.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if this is what you are going for or not, but the terrain is just so ..bumpy.. I could understand if this is meant to be some sort of stylized cartoony thing, but if not I wouldnt think there would be tall skinny mounds like that everywhere.

Then again, maybe the snow pattern is making it look like they pop up more than they do. I'd like to see the terrain with a less busy texture to get a better idea.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I have a feeling you made a shader that puts a snow texture in every crevice in the scene right?
  • Maiden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so i agree with what you guys said about the whole underwater look so i added more snow to the tops of the rocky parts and in some places i removes the rocks completely. I also smoothed down most of the terrain in the part where there is snow to make it look more natural, as if the snow is slowly piling up. I also added in two lights (not final lighting of course), I wanted to get a feel for how the terrain looked with proper shadows.

Also, and i don't know if you can tell but it is snowing as well.

I'm currently still working on all the background mountains and the final textures that are on the terrain.

As for the question about whether or not I'm using a shader to get the 'honeycomb' effect, the answer is no. It was all done by hand. I turned on lighting only and put snow in all the places between the bumps in the terrain.

I'm still working on this and any more feedback would be great. Would it help if i posted shots of the terrain without textures?

pic4-update.jpg
    pic3-update.jpg
    pic2-update.jpg
    pic1-update.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the terrain has been improved a LOT, congratulations. It looks much more natural and the whole scene looks much more interesting. That said, I don't think it looks like it's snowing, it looks like there's very thick fog all over the place, but in a bad way. Like there's a flat layer of white on top of each image with 40% opacity. I don't know what you're using to render this and if you could pursue an interesting weather effect, but I'm curious to see the how thie scene looks with more color, without the white fog on top. Try making the fog less uniform and add some snowflakes in the mix to see how it goes.
  • Maiden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.

I'm trying to give the scene a bit more of an atmosphere. The village has long since been abandoned so i wanted to give it an empty, ghost-town type feel to it. I also got the sky-texture in.

The level is now completely playable, there is still a bit of terrain painting and a few spots that need to be touched up and also the water still needs a texture (I've been avoiding it >_<). I hope you guys like the updates and it would be a great help to get some more feedback.

pic1-update1.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    pic6.jpg

The pictures in editor are a bit darker and the fog is a tiny bit heavier than what it looks like in game.
  • Maiden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the skybox but the ground fog should still have a bit more texture rather than the plain overlay. Maybe a bit higher snow count as well.

I'm in the process of doing that, I'm just not sure how to go about it, since there's no setting to change the frequency of the density of the fog volume.