Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- Re-imagining Of Link

Hey everyone,

Here is my WIP high-res, a re-imagining of Link from the Legend of Zelda.
What I am aiming for is a World War Fantasy look.
Still have to build the shield and sword.

Would love feedback, pointers and critiques would be much appreciated! :thumbup:
After getting some feedback I will re-topo and make the game ready version.

I specialize mainly in animation. I do not model too often but really enjoy it and want to get better. Trying to open more doors to opportunities.

When done I am going to texture, rig and animate him. I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks!

ww2inspired3dlinkwip006.jpg

http://fredhoward.blogspot.com/
http://www.phredhoward.com

Replies

• Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Have you tried making the eyes a bit more real? It seems to be everything follows a particularly realistic style, but then the eyes and the ears are a bit of a drastic change. But that's just my opinion. Very creative use of the hood for the cap. I like it!
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    world war two link? hmm, interesting.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I also think the eyes need to be a bit more realistic, and maybe a larger nose as well. I think the ears are ok, but could also easily be changed to just a guy with pointy ears instead of elf ears.

I think the hood should be flatter against the back. Right now it looks like a super thick piece of cloth.

Overall it's very cool. Looking forward to the updates.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    interesting design mate, I'm looking forward to more progress. I think you've got a great start.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Fix the "avatar" eyes.
    I like the idea of the hood, but it needs to be more like a hoodie. Less thick, and it probably should hang more like a hoodie's hood.
    I really like the guantlets and boots, I Just feel like the shirt/jacket doesn't fit/match.

I think you need to nail down a theme/back story, figure out the costume design, and then finish up the modeling. Is he going to be in a WWI army or what?
  • phredH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the feedback. It all will be a great help.

Here is a update on the face with some of the feedback....

newlinkface005.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    He looks much more realistic now, I think it looks good. The usual landmarks for recognizing Link in the model is there, the ears, the hood, some of the clothing accessories.

I bet you're going with some kind of darker green for the clothing as well? What kind of weapon will he wield? Running around with a sword in WWII seems a bit out of place. Putting the tri-force mark as an emblem or something in there would be great.

Nice work man.
  • phredH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He looks much more realistic now, I think it looks good. The usual landmarks for recognizing Link in the model is there, the ears, the hood, some of the clothing accessories.

I bet you're going with some kind of darker green for the clothing as well? What kind of weapon will he wield? Running around with a sword in WWII seems a bit out of place. Putting the tri-force mark as an emblem or something in there would be great.

Nice work man.

Thanks man! Yes, I will be going with a darker green.
    The story behind this Link is he is a normal soldier in the Hyrule Military. Hyrule is further along in time to where there they are going through their own world war (probably with Gannon) that is similar to our World War II. Trying to keep some of the fantasy aspects of the current games. He will probably have a shield, a master sword of some sort, Stick Grenades to replace his bombs, and probably a WWII rifle (probably a M1 Grand) to replace his bow and arrows.
  • phredH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My friend just sent me this for cool reference. Keith Thompson has a pretty cool shield that I might borrow a few ideas from when I am creating Link's shield.
    http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/gunnershield.html
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tactical link! all he's missing is his mp5 and knife. lol though looks really good.
  • mifflefish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good so far, the new face looks much better

my only... I guess you'd call it a suggestion, is that I wouldn't give him a gerand... or really any "real world" weapons, Unless Link has been transported into WWII he wouldn't be able to get ahold of an M1 gerand or a thompson or the like

if Hyrule has advanced to a level of technology similar to WWII they could have very easily followed a completely different path of technological development, especially considdering that magic is pretty prevelant in hyrule.
    heck maybe the Hyrulians don't even invent guns as we know them or something

wow I'm rambling... anyway I hope that made sense
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    nice job on face!
  • phredH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, sorry it has been a while since I updated. I got pulled away with other work and things. Did manage to get back to work on Link. Here is the latest update I have for him. His high-res so far. Hope everyone likes it.
    Also, if anyone can point me in a good direction about how to go about hair, i.e. textured planes, sculpted, tutorials, etc. That would be great, thanks! :)

HighResLink_Front.jpg

HighResLink_FrontSide.jpg

HighResLink_Back.jpg
  • Daniel Doerksen
    looks awesome, floating an idea buy since its ww2 and more modern and there are bullet dents in the shield might justify him having a gunblade? instead of a reg sword. Imo the sword is holding the believabilty back
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thompson with master sword bayonet?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    awesome dude. mad improvements throughout the thread.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    hah! this is totally awesome man. I love this one, especially that kickass shield.

I also love that there's stuff to see at second reading. Like I was going to say that he needs that pointy hat Link has, cause I thought maybe he was an elf, but then I noticed it's actually sown on his jacket at the back. Real awesome touch.

Cool stuff man
  • phredH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feed back.
    I will try and design some sort of gun blade. I put the sword in because it is an ancient relic from old Hyrule. Sword in the stone. Probably didn't age unless modded. But I can give it a go, see what I can come up with while I am retopo-ing Link.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    words cannot express how awesome this idea is haha it's looking real cool, im sure you will pull off a epic gunblade!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    So cool. I would make the toes of the boot longer though.
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    at first glance i didn't like the look of this all too much, but the more i look at it the more i think it's cool. nice job, i think you've pulled it off very well so far.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomerang grenade... mastersword bayonet good ideas, i think the outfit fits the era and reimagineing, but i think the gear is a bit off of the theme. just a thought.
  • Lanisaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am a huge Zelda fan myself. Link's by far my fav video game hero, hehe.
    Here's some of my thoughts;

- Like the detailing of his clothes, although I don't quite enjoy the soldier-styled jacket. It seems too far off from the traditional fantasy world that he was once made for. Perhaps a more unusual cut to his original tunic-style, modernized(?), might be better?
    - The shield has elements that I really like (am a detail nerd) but the rounded shapes in its middle area I don't find particularly attractive. They just seem a bit awkward as they are so large? (Boob shield comes to mind!)
    - Love the hood and the leg guards <3

Just my two cents, yours to grab if you want them! :)
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looks amazing, I personally like the original face that you had, its more recognizable as link than what you have now.
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Shield-Boobs are a bit weird to me, but it's a very small design detail compared to how great it's coming along. Very cool stuff!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i hate the idea of gun blade, modern day soldiers carry swords as part of dress uniform without the need of them being a gun also, the sword would seem to be more of a sign of status and power. in my opinion gun swords are about the most stupid thing i've ever seen, more so than that purple thing that hangs out with the hamburger clown guy. i would not be opposed to giving him a nice looking old style gun, like a garand or something, an putting the shield and sword on his back.