Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

level 2 zbrush anatomy work

Hey guys

Im currently creating a character using zbrush. Im currently at sub div 2 and im feeling good about my progress so I thought now would be a good time to get some feedback

Im using Scott spencers book "zbrush digital sculpting the human anatomy"

look forward to your feedback guys

screengrab7.jpg

screengrab8.jpg

boards.polycount.netscreengrab9.jpg
screengrab9.jpg

Replies

• ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a human character or humanoid character? I ask becuase of the fin thingy on the back. Anyways, just keep sculpting until your body continues to look more human and the muscle groups are much more identified. Right now the chest and torso area is looking good, but the arms and legs need more definition, to the level your torso is. Im going to assume you havn't started much work on the head as of yet, if not, you should keep at it aswell. Also, the pelvic area looks a bit off in the front view. Work that lower torso.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    The pecs look quite good, but last time I checked I didn't have square legs, blades running from my thumb to my elbow or a cockscomb :poly121: Fix those (at lvl 0), before going into detail. The entire head and neck also.

Also I'm not a fan fo 'anatomical' figures missing certain essential parts...
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm.. the legs are very very square.. and the anatomy is off in most places.. maybe go grab a anatomy book aswell or google some references.. and whats up with the head and back in the side view?

and theres only 4 toes?

step back a bit and try to get the general shape in place before going for the smaller details like abs and stuff..

keep working...
  • brujahbart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys. thanks for the quick responses.

the character im modelling is an atlantian man, which is the reason for the huge fin protruding from the back of his head..will take all your comments on board and modify accordingly

heres the concept art

conceptssheet.jpg
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahaa=) makes more sense now=) nice concept.. is it yours?

try to take a step back.. make sure you get the legs rounder.. smooth brush will help you with that.. then go over it with move tool or inflate to get the general shapes going..

good luck..

cheers
  • brujahbart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah those are my concepts and thank you for the kind words :). going back to sub div one or maybe back to base and detail the face out.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D! level 2 anatomy work. The phrase alone is killing me.

concept is cool... nicely done! i like that you used references for them and both colour schemes work well.

3d - use the base... level 1 (as you will) to get a good silhouette

I get better results since modelling eyeballs as a subtool.
  • brujahbart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys

the latest work on my chracter. Again critiques are appreciated

screengrab11.jpg

screengrab12.jpg

screengrab10.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    his lower legs are a really weird shape, they shouldn't be flat in the front, you have a bone there.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    fishmanspaintover.jpg

Ok, here's a quick and shitty paintover of some basic things you can do to make this guy look a bit more like the concept art. One thing I'd highly suggest is getting rid of the tube-like things around his neck and making them out of zspheres. You can retopo later if this needs to be a certain spec or rigged. Also, as Zac mentioned you need to round out the shins so they're not so flat in the front.

19482.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Given that your character is made largely of human components for the overall form, bone, and muscle structure, I would recommend an in-depth study of human anatomy. You have the basic landmarks there, you just need to really push your understanding of the forms surrounding these land marks.

You can find a lot of free anatomy reference online that is actually quite good. Even though the resolutions are somewhat low, you will find that the drawings/models are very accurate. What may lead you in the wrong direction however is that some of these drawings display the different layers of muscle.

I STRONGLY recommend Zack Petroc's tutorials.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/category/121/Zack-Petroc

He really goes into some good detail and depth as to how the muscles interact and rest over the skeleton. I haven't checked out his "Form of Anatomy" series, but I have purchased his "Digital Sculpting:The Human Anatomy" videos. I would suggest starting there. It is a little pricey and dated in terms of software he uses, but the knowledge you will gain from this small investment will really help you by leaps and bounds. You can also check out some books at your local bookstore, or online (Borders, Barnes and Nobles, etc.), but I would recommend physically finding a book you can flip through to get a good feel of what you are buying. You'll really want something that illustrates the muscle structures in dissected views. I believe Goldfinger illustrates this in his "Human Anatomy for Artists" book

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-Artists-Elements-Form/dp/0195052064/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211677216&sr=1-2[/ame]

Above all else, do not use your own concepts as reference at this point. Not saying that your concepts are bad by any means, but this goes back to your understanding of anatomy. I strongly encourage you to keep creating concepts as this will really lead you to being a more valuable asset to a team in your career as an artist. Right now though, your focus should be getting correct and clear information that you can accurately use to flesh out your "ideas" from your concepts. Use your concepts as starting point for an idea, and then use real life reference to make them come to life in 3D. Ultimately, you will want to meld that understanding into your concept art.

Keep working on it and don't give up. A friend of mind once said, "Determination in the face of no encouragement is the way to success.".